Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chevy 4 door gasser build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Danbeverage55chevy, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Butch how can you tell they are staggered from that photo, the spacing on the flat looks the same as my straight across sets, I do have a staggered set but no photos on my phone. 20180116_195923.jpg Screenshot_20191028-012515_Gallery.jpg

2. 'Mo

'Mo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

First of all, I have a pair of the staggered pattern, and also the straight across pattern ones. You'll notice the large flat area just below the "M/T" moniker, has a "cutout" that extends INTO the large flat area; the straight across pattern does not have that, the large flat area is devoid of that. What I find really odd, is that they say "Chev 327" on the inside, but 327's never came with the staggered mounting patter (???). I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

A few pics of the manifold and carb swap. I went with a 600cfm Holley, mechanical secondaries and removed the choke. The carb I took off from what I gather besides being worn out beyond repair was off a ford truck. I’ll include some photos. It’s a night shift and the ol Fire house is a boring place included are some pics of the removed parts IMG_2418.JPG IMG_2422.JPG IMG_2393.JPG IMG_2379.JPG IMG_2377.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  5. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

“Crew cab Chevy gasser build” the 4 door is growing on me. The ol “ its a 4 door!” Does get old though.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

A battery hold down would be my first investment. T he first you slam on the brakes and the battery goes upside down and shorts out on the valve covers you will wish you had one.

squirrel likes this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

I like 4 door 55 -57 Chevies. They make great street cars. Why does every one have to be a gasser poser?
    Just enjoy your car for what it is . There have been many great Gassers that were 4 doors, but when it's just a street car then its like having sex with the ugly girl. Feels good when your doing it, but you hope nobody sees you when you are together.

8. Budget36

Budget36

Ya, but then you're living life in a way to please others and not yourself.

I mean, if he's always wanted a gasser-style tri5, let him make his dream come true. Who cares if it has been done over and over. There's a lot of chopped '32s running around too;)

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  9. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

It’s got one I just had the battery out when did the valve covers.

10. Gas class started out as ''just street cars''.

11. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

i dont know but what the hell

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  12. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Just.................Do it! Enjoy your car.

lothiandon1940 and swade41 like this.
  13. Dan, The first time I got Dad to take me to the local drag strip, I remember the staging lanes were just packed with tri-5's .There was every possible body style represented there. So, you'd be period correct with a 4 dr. gasser.(see above).
    I still wouldn't do it though, unless you want to spend every minute at every car gathering, explaining this fact to the uninformed.
    I picture your car in factory blue, with a white top, 210 side chrome, small hub caps, with a mean sounding SBC and a stick shift. In other words, a not too subtle sleeper.:)

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This would be so refreshing in the current climate of "gasser" car builds that just never quite hit the mark.

'Mo and Mark Yac like this.
  15. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Cool 55.. Just have fun with it..! 283s were pretty bad ass high revving little engines..

Danbeverage55chevy likes this.
  16. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Well the 40+ year old tach finally died. I had to bite the bullet and buy a newer looking one. All the pics I have for now. Removed the super 10s and installed race bullets. Sounding proper now with the long tubes 59474805401__471E1CB1-1EF0-487A-8061-032670F8996A.JPG

swade41 likes this.
  17. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Well my 39.99 amazon tach showed up. Little disappointed that the vintage Mallory died. I looked on eBay for about a week and decided I was gonna buy something to get me by until I find another cool vintage tach. For the price it’s not bad. Adjustable shift light works perfect and has 10 different background colors. A little to rice for me. But it works for now. Also, I was super surprised at how my flow master super 10s made this car sound, very very quite for single chambers. Hedman longtubes 2.5 exhaust with H PIPE. Sounded like it was stock exhaust. I chopped them off and put on some race bullets 8”. Sounds proper now. Nice idle tone but when you’re on it sounds like a muscle car should. Spent some time cleaning up the traction bars that someone painted black years ago. Didn’t destroy the yellow but it took some elbow grease to save the paint under the black. Other than that California has been burning lately and in my line of work that means I’m super busy. So hopefully when we get some rain I’ll get some more updates. Also moving into my new house and garage Tuesday in Fairfield ca if any of you guys are from out that way. Always looking to wrench on stuff when I’m free. IMG_2544.JPG IMG_2546.JPG IMG_2548.JPG

18. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

19. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Well I’ve been battling overheating issues in that California traffic. New water pump, found a be cool radiator on Craigslist 1 street over for a steal so I installed that today. I mounted it in front of the radiator support. I ended up using a old street sign to make some spacers let it idle out front for 45 mins and never got over 180. A little to show car for my liking it might get some rattle can IMG_2552.JPG [​IMG] IMG_2555.JPG [​IMG]

20. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Also, since I was using just water in my old system. Pulled it right up on the lawn and pulled that lower hose off. Neighbors probably hate me at this point

Lerenzo Rawson and scotty t like this.
  21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Blue and white with small caps. Sounds just like my Great Grandmothers car in 1966! Yeah that will put you to sleep, oh wait he said sleeper!:rolleyes: Build it as you envision it and disregard the old men and their opinions. Hot rods should make you say OH WOW!, not put you to sleep. Those 4 door Gasser pic's are great examples of what you can build. Larry

22. Ha ha ..Still waiting for the OH WOW!

23. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

For a car for the strip nothing wrong with the extra two doors and for a car for the street, well you can always turn it into a two door.

24. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

You almost have to take the hood off and stand on your head to see the numbers. I did, and found out my '55 has a '69 Z28 302! WOW!

25. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

RE:eek:verheating-your car has the 6 cyl radiator support and the radiator mounted ahead of the support-V8 mounted the radiator BEHIND the support-add some fan spacers to get the fan closer to the radiator should cure soe heating issues

26. Sourwood

Sourwood
    from Atlanta Ga

Bad ass 55.... WOW

27. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Well guys, I became a first time home owner. Been moving for the last 3 day’s and working nights. Beyond tired. The new house has a epic garage. Did the painted floors oil resistant. Lots of driveway parking and it’s gravel so no need to worry about oil stains. And huge side yard access for more toys. Updates as I get them. Side note. I did drive the 55 here to the new house. Drives great! And with the new radiator never got over 135-140 even in traffic. Included are some pics of the garage and side yard. The jets skis are going in the back and 55 in the garage IMG_2593.JPG IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2598.JPG

28. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

the old set up. Radiator behind the support. I just moved it in front and seems to be running way cooler. Also it’s a griffin 799.00 radiator. I would never pay that. I paid 200 used.

IMG_2443.JPG

swade41 and chevy57dude like this.
  29. Fordors

Fordors

Congratulations, but now you get to share your car time with home maintenance time:eek: