Register now to get rid of these ads!

California Metal Shaping?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lefty Lucy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. 1964racecar

1964racecar

It is nice to see "Red" getting some credit for his work. Real talent. Nice guy too.

2. burninfuel

burninfuel

Red held on to my dads wrist when he cut off first digit of left pointing finder at the punchpress. Talked to my mom this morning, and told me the story. She said the pain was more than the injury, Reds grip on his wrist, to stop the bleeding.

3. Ron In the SHOP

Ron In the SHOP
    BANNED
    from california

sounds similar to when on seperate occasions...

.....my two ring fingers now MATCH...

courtesy of a 110 ton niagra press brake...2 X 8 foot platen base with unitool type set up punches....

people often ask if I was born this way and if my brothers also have the same odd looking ring fingers.

4. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

I will try to get some pic's of my yoder it is still bolted to one of the beams from the shop i was told

5. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

what year were those color photos taken?

6. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Tim Barton's new book, "Metalshaping" - The Lost Sheet Metal Matchines has some information and pictures from the CMS shop; which are in Volume 1 of the book series. Don Sevart, the last owner of CMS provided a lot of photo's, for the book.

For more information on the book:
    http://www.autofuturist.org/Book_Set_Intro.html

7. burninfuel

burninfuel

CMS had a contract of many during the war, one was the torpedo testing site a Morrison reservior up in san Gabriel mountains. It must still be there. My mom , Elinor and my Grandmother, Ella, had to sit in the car and wait for Chad to come back out.
    He was the only civilian allowed on site.
    I remember Grandpa had truck loads of picutes in slide format, aluminum frame with 2 glass pieces holding the negitive. I wish I had them now.

8. Paul123

Paul123

I was told Ca Metal Shaping were the people to handle a job I am working on, but they are now out of business. I need some '36 Auburn pontoon fenders made in sheet-metal. Does anybody know of a real good sheet-metal guy who can do compound curves, etc. These fenders are enormous - 102" long by 26". The are tear dropped shaped. Thanks, Paul

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

A model T trans gutted and only used a T clutch. Model T's never had a clutch only bands. How they ran a T clutch with a trans behind it I'll never know. Lippy

10. David Totten

David Totten

Paul Marcels Custom Metal in Corona can do the job 909-371 2292

11. Actually the "Morris Reservoir."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Reservoir

In the 50s we would drive up the canyon for day outings and camping. I can remember the Navy "No Trespassing - No Photography" signs and a big ramp that went from the dam to a float on the lake. Everyone knew back then that they tested torpedos there. Not the best place in the world to do "secret" military testing.

12. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

New Metal Kustomz, a hot rod shop in Cotati, CA recently acquired some of bucks that came from the old California Metal Shaping Co. I believe there are some Auburn bucks, but not sure what panels/years they're for. New Metal can form any body panel you desire. Attached are a few pictures of some of the bucks.

Attached Files:

chriskopp and Deuces like this.
  13. Quin22cy

Quin22cy
    from USA

i think bill may have died around that time early 80s mike[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

verde742 likes this.
  14. Rem

Rem

Wow, looks like you have some real history there!

Deuces likes this.
  15. California Metal Shaping also did the body for the First Shelby Daytona Coupe. The subsequent 5 cars were done in Italy by Carrozzeeria Gransport in Modena. They didn't have that first car to work from, just blueprints and they didn't think the roofline looked right so they changed it, and those cars were 11MPH slower on top speed compared to the funny looking roof of the original car!

burninfuel likes this.
  16. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick

They also built this car in 1954...

[​IMG]

chriskopp and Deuces like this.
  17. patrick.d.kingston

patrick.d.kingston

My Dad (Richard Kingston) was an investor/owner at California Metal Shaping in the 70's. He was enamored with the business, as he was really into 30's Packards, and some of the original Packard parts were made there. (He had a lot of cars, a Duzenburg, Packards, Pierce Arrows, Jordan, Stutz Bearcat, etc. I remember Bill Honda coming over to our house as a kid. They made parts for the first B-1 bomber and Miley horse trailers in the 70's.

chriskopp likes this.
  18. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

If any of you have Tim Bartons Metalshaping Books, there is a great deal of California Metalshaping info in them--down to a picture of the building with the impact marks of those six big Yoders on the back wall...

19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

What year did CMS close? Their info still comes up with their address in the directory.
    Never have called the # though ;).

20. chopped31

chopped31
    from CO.

I worked with Don in 2006 at WP Restorations. They had bought 6 of the Hammers and some other equipment including the contouring wheel. I believe that Don closed the doors sometime in 2005, there was still bucks and other stuff there for years later. I have seen Don post on here a few times, so he could definitely give you an accurate acounting of time.

Cheers!
    Lefty

chriskopp likes this.
  21. burninfuel

burninfuel

Chad Schults was the original owner, started from scratch and sold it to Bill Honda about 1966 when he was 65
    Chad worked for the big repair shop and I had some pics of it.
    Marcel DeLays shop for years prior to CMS

22. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

When I worked at Harrah's Automobile Collection, we had Bill Honda make pontoon fenders and bodies for SJ Duesenberg's. Bill made both speedster and dual cowl phaeton bodies for us. Interesting Harrah's bought Duesenburg sedans and coupes then stripped the bodies off and replaced them with "California Metal shapers open bodies. We also had them make a couple of Packard speedster boat tail bodies and fenders as well.

I was most impressed with Bill Hondas quiet and cool demeanor. When we wanted a particular body or set of fenders, we supplied photos and dimensions and when possible a sample. From there he performed his magic. I remember having several completed bodies and fender sets stored in one of our warehouses awaiting the finished chassis. This was back in the late 60's

just sayin'

brasscarguy

23. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Interesting... can you message me pictures of it? I have a friend who new him well and has lots of pictures he took of him. Who knows he might be able to compare it to pictures he has of him

superleggera likes this.