Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest car prices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Nov 14, 2019.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have for a while been really shocked at the prices of these old cars. i was wondering where do these prices come from? i can understand if someone has a car built by a shop and pay a good amount for it. they want to get that back, but they are not all built at a shop. it really is weird when you see a +++rod or an unfinished car go for high dollar. how exactly do people figure out how to price their car for sale? like, how in the hell is a stock vw worth 5 figures? what did they make something like 100 million of them? i understand supply and demand but some of the ones you see are really not that desirable. is it just, throw a number out there and see how many people are willing to pay?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

lots of variables as to how a asking price is decided on - all you have to is what works for you

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A car is worth what someone else is willing to pay.
    I'd say that the ones with RR and rolling unfinished/"patina" rigs are fishing for the suckers who aren't really car guys but just have to have one of those cool _______ right now to be one of the cool guys. We all have seen them, the guys with more disposable money than we can dream about who always have the latest fad item until they get bored with it. The ones who had a Corvette or two, then went through the Harley phase including going to Sturgis at least once and then it was on to wake boats and now the hot lick is rat rods or patina rigs for that brigade.
    On the other hand a guy from this area has what looks like a real nice (in the photos) 59 Coupe Deville that is a light metallic blue and has had it for sale for over a year for less than the normal going price for one in that shape. I think that the car is so connected to him locally that even the gold chain bunch pass on it.

reagen, HunterYJ and uncleandy 65 like this.
  4. For some, it is a form of status to post the ride at a high price to be able to show the world their ride. Happens in auctions as well with the unbelievable high reserve.
    Sort of a fishing expedition for offers.

reagen and uncleandy 65 like this.

5. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

A lot are clueless guys that used their savings/retirement/401Ks to fund a build to flip and got slapped in the face by reality. The real world is not cable TV. Just trying to buy cool and getting taken to the cleaners. Then cry that the world is not fair and everything is at fault but them.

seb fontana likes this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A lot of people jump on the Rot Rod bandwagon and see prices in the $12 to $15 thousand range and say hey! I have $3 thousand worth of junk and can throw it together , flip for that high range of money. Don't have to worry about rust repair or paint . Win win they surmise.

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I think that in some cases people pay to much for a vehicle then try to turn around a sell it for a little more than they paid for it. I see way too many project cars going on the block for over 10K.

reagen likes this.
  8. jim snow

jim snow

Or they promise the wife/girl friend/ significant other to sell it. And price it out of this world. Then say I don’t know why it won’t sell.jmho. Snowman

9. oldolds

oldolds

I have watched prices on a few different cars for years. Kind of like my private "how's the market". A couple of my watch items are 68-72 Chevy trucks and Corvette's. A few years ago Corvettes were the hot thing. Now a plain Corvette is barely worth $25k and the much more available truck is the same or more dollars in the in the same shape.
    Meanwhile baby "Birds" have pretty much remained the same price for years.
    It is all about what the public thinks is the hot car for the week.

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

old olds, can you please tell me where these 25K Corvettes are at. I'll take a couple.

Corn Fed and da34guy like this.
  11. If you buy a car at the top of the value curve and then find out you don't really like it and want to sell it then you probably try to get your money back. Unfortunately, the value of old cars go up and down all the time. If you buy in the upswing and try to sell in the downswing then your vehicle looks grossly overpriced.

12. VW's are like anything else, a guy baits the hook and wait's for a bite, some cars demand a premium and if you want one you have to step up to the plate.

I don't have anything against a glass car but it amazes me when I see them advertised for more that the original steel cars, but the buyer makes the decision on the selling price. HRP

reagen, OLSKOOL57 and exterminator like this.
  13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Unfortunately, selling cars on most sites, has become a fishing expedition....and as referred to above, Patina has been replaced with a piece of shit rust bucket..
    I am (75) years old, and in my younger days the laugh was "Ran when Parked" with a picture showing four foot tall trees.. lol

Peter Nowak likes this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

Just recently there were several threads about how the prices are dropping down to rock bottom and the hobby is drying up. I think it's all about perspective.

$10K seems like a lot of money for a project to me because when I was in high school in the late 90's that would buy a really nice finished car and that amount of money seemed untouchable. But when you think about it, today, that's not that much money. That, and all of the stuff I was drooling over then, is 20 years older now.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

People can ask whatever they want. Who cares?

Chris likes this.
  16. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the gem of the day. Correction-the gem of all time. No one cares what a person's asking price is when shopping for a car. It is the buyer that sets the sale price and that it is what the car is worth.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  17. I see consignment lots full of cars that don't move. Some of the advertised prices are not that bad, but these cars sit outside in the elements for weeks and weeks. Something few of us do with our cars.

18. oldolds

oldolds

Look around on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. No big blocks, but there are quite a few nice clean small blocks around for that price. They might not be super cherry numbers matching cars, but clean driver quality.
    At a dealer local to me
    https://allentown.craigslist.org/ctd/d/cressona-1972-corvette-coupe/7006903431.html

Another one
    https://cnj.craigslist.org/ctd/d/belvidere-1972-corvette-coupe/7010740924.html

egads likes this.
  19. zgears

zgears

High end stuff gets bought up by the more money than sense crowd. But.. in terms of good projects the market seems to be super flooded. H/D's, vettes, pre-war two door Fords I'm seeing a lot of formerly desirable vehicles sell for nothing.

20. when I sell my unwanted cars or projects for 80 to 90 percent UNDER market value, I meet three groups of people. Group 1 asks a few questions, pays the asking price, and hauls/drives away happy.
    Group 2 tries the Richard Rawlings approach and leaves pissed and empty handed.
    Group 3 usually starts the conversation with "You have the right to remain....."
    I get to meet Group 3, mainly because of Group 2.

HunterYJ and arkiehotrods like this.
  21. It is amazing to watch the old car market change. I love old pickups. Always have, and I've had a lot of them. Mainly because they were fun and cheap. Now, old pickups, ESPECIALLY 4x4 and unicorn crew cabs, are so insanely popular and are selling for more then early V8 cars. Nuts

Squablow, pitman and arkiehotrods like this.
  22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Value Of A Antique Auto Is What The Next Person Pays For It... 1cc57b68b0a240c796b8a8dd52bda840.jpg

arkiehotrods likes this.
  23. error404

error404
    from CA

for some folks $10k is a lot of money, for other folks it isn't.

Same for $100k.

Depends on where you live too. A house/property in one area might go for $100,000, The same house/property in another part of the country might go for $1,000,000

Cosmo49 likes this.
  24. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed Chris, and take a look at station wagons! Holy cow.

25. My personal rides came from the scrap yard. Clean em up and name em go
    Value? Whatever someone will pay for it.
    But this is for fun. So profits aren’t figured into the equation.

nochop likes this.
  26. 392

This type of post shows up fairly often. A different title but same question, with a search on this site would be same answers.

27. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Uh, those are late models. No wonder they aren't more than $25K. Find us some C1's or C2's in a reasonable price.

Gman0046 likes this.
  28. X-cpe

X-cpe

If a home built is of the same quality as the shop built, what would make it worth less?

29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You can’t put a price on fun, buy it, build it, drive it. The most fun you can have with you clothes on.....imho

anthony myrick likes this.
  30. It's the same mentality as 2 identical cars, one owned by Joe Shmoe and the other was owned by Elvis. Thousands versus hundreds of thousands.