Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bruce Lancaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUHRsc, Oct 31, 2019.

1. slug

slug

The 40 Ford steering wheel I bought from Bruce years ago is going on my 32 sedan. It will be a reminder every time I sit behind the wheel of Bruce. Great person. Will be missed. John

Thor1, Stogy and Surfcityrocker like this.
  2. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Bruce, C9, and 3 Window Larry...... I'll bet they are bench racing right now.:)

Thor1, Jet96, warbird1 and 5 others like this.
  3. BigChief

BigChief

Bruce was an awesome guy we can all learn a bit from.

RIP. Bruce.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@furbiscuit started a thread on September 21, 2005 called " stupid things we have done, and survived ". Bruce posted a reply that same day about an adventure he and his daughter had involving a used catalytic converter. I just ran across it and laughed until I cried. How lucky all of you that have known him personally are. I wish I could have been one of that group.

Thor1, Jet96, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

He will be missed , he sent me actual patents drawing of distributors from time to time, a great guys and his reasearch skills were unmatched... RIP my friend...

Thor1, HemiDeuce, BigChief and 3 others like this.
  6. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Such sad news. As others have said, when Bruce spoke you listened. Leaves a big hole that won't be filled.

Rest easy, fella.

Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  7. Oh, man...I am sad to read this. I never met Bruce, but his wealth of knowledge was AMAZING! When I got my flathead powered '40 stake truck and had questions, I skipped posting questions to get a gazillion differing answers and just went straight to a PM to Bruce. He was always glad to help, and it was greatly appreciated.

Thor1, Stogy, brad2v and 1 other person like this.
  8. Silva

Silva

Such a heart felt memoriam. Mr Lancaster will be missed by many. RIP...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pitman and Stogy like this.
  9. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Godspeed, Bruce. You were one hell of a human.

Stogy likes this.
  10. brad2v

brad2v

We were all very lucky to have benefited from his wealth of knowledge, and his generosity with it.

Stogy likes this.
  11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Sad to hear of the passing of one of the greats. Bruce passed on some of his knowledge to me. Amazing person.
    He will be missed.

Stogy and alanp561 like this.
  12. ... you guys want to see something amazing ? Likely the very credence for who this man was, and why he had the outlook and demeanor that he did.

Read his father's obituary ... proving that clearly ... two great men ... were also first and foremost, father and son. Apple, meet tree.

God bless ... ... ... everyone. Take care, and do your best to love the ones that love you back. Life is too damn short.

Bruce M Lancaster, Sr. of Alexandria, VA

Bruce Morgan Lancaster, 87, of Alexandria, Va., died Sept. 13, 2011, at Inova Alexandria Hospital.

Memorial services with full military honors were held on Thursday, Oct. 13 at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va. Mr. Lancaster was born Oct. 5, 1923, in Starkville. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. R.M. Lancaster of Starkville.

He graduated from Mississippi State University with highest honors and received his Marine Corps commission. He earned his Ph.D. from graduate work at Duke and American universities.

He served in the Pacific Theatre and the occupation of Japan as Intelligence and Order-of-Battle Officer. He retired from the Marine Corps Reserve with the rank of colonel.

His first post as a Foreign Service officer was at the American Embassy, then in the nationalist capital of Nanking, China. Prior to the Communist takeover, Gen. Chaing Kai-Shek moved his headquarters to Canton.

An abbreviated American Embassy whose officers consisted of him and the Minister Counselor moved to Canton to continue U.S. government ties to the Nationalist foreign office.

As the Communist Army drew closer, they moved to war refugee-crowded Hong Kong, where they lived aboard the Navy destroyer tender U.S.S. Dixie, which was a floating embassy complete with a code room.

They took turns commuting to Canton in a Navy attaché plane.

A few hours before the Red Army invaded Canton, he turned the keys to the U.S. Embassy building over to the British Ambassador as caretaker. The Communists completed their takeover of mainland China soon after.

Thereafter, he served at Foreign Service posts in Europe and South America. As head of the State Department Operations Center he was director of interagency teams formed to deal with foreign policy emergencies and held the rank of Deputy Assistant Secretary of State.

His Foreign Service posts abroad in addition to China included Hamburg, Germany; Consul-in-Charge in Medellin, Columbia; Consul General in Stuttgart, Germany; and delegate to the Law of Treaties Congress in Vienna. In 1970, he was seconded to the Imperial Defense College in London as the American Foreign Service Member.

After retirement from the Foreign Service, for 12 years he was a member of the adjunct faculty at Johns Hopkins University and for one year Emory University in Atlanta.

In retirement, he organized a public service group called the Homeowners Task Force, which trained delinquent boys in carpentry skills that they devoted to repairing the homes of low-income seniors. For this work he received the Crispus Atticus Award for public service to black seniors.

Mr. Lancaster was co-founder of Futuros Para Ninos.

He was a member of DACOR, the Foreign Service Association, Phi Kappa Phi honorary science scholarship fraternity, Sigma Chi social fraternity, the Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Association and the Episcopal Church.

Mr. Lancaster is survived by his wife of 63 years, Mary Elinor Lancaster (daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Bickham of McComb); a son Bruce Lancaster II of Madison, N.J.; two grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

97, arkiehotrods, Dan Hay and 10 others like this.
  13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That says it right there. Exactly what I would have said.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  14. Billet

Billet

I didn’t know Bruce beyond his posts on the H.A.M.B. but I was in awe of the depth of his knowledge and his generous contributions RIP Mr. Lancaster

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  15. Where can I find Bruce's obituary? HRP

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Bruce treasured his privacy.
    I’d bet he may have requested no fanfare. It sounds just like him.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Any time I saw a post by Bruce I always read it. I'll miss his humor, wit, and incredible automotive knowledge. I have half a notebook of his posts that I've printed and saved...

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Sorry to hear this. Condolences for his family and friends

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-of-wisdom-and-a-laugh.1092094/#post-12382013

Here's the Printed pages tied to your post above Pete...They were loaded as PDF's and I changed them to pics...
    So we could more easily reference it...

I will post the Hamb link were these PDF's were shared when I find it again...;)

Bruce2.jpg

Bruce1.JPG

I couldn't help think of a post I did with those Kooky Mad Birds and I will share that momentarily as I wonder if Bruce ever saw this Hotrod and thought similarly...

[​IMG]
    The Peckerhead Coupe...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Credit to Photographers, Owners

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-48#post-12413740

Hope your crackin' a smile up there Bruce looking at this...

RIP Bruce

Regards,
    Stogy

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  20. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Dammit,,, He was one of the true gentlemen on the Hamb. God Bless him and his family.
    Thanks for all the help Bruce!

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have come to believe that when you got beyond the HAMB he was an extremely private individual. I've searched more than once and cannot find so much as a minimal death notice.

22. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've been absent a while here with only sporadic checkings in and answering of PMs. I was heartbroken to log in today and see this. I traded several emails and PMs with Bruce and was giddy with excitement to send him something a long time ago - I don't recall exactly what it was, but it was some early Ford UK-specific thing he was looking for and I had one, so I sent it over back when I was stationed in the UK. I simply asked for his address and mailed it to him - it was so cool to do some little something for someone who gave so much to everyone he interacted with. His encyclopedic knowledge of all things Early Ford was unmatched and will be sorely missed by many forums, people, and friends. I believe I only spoke to him once on the phone many years ago and I recall him being friendly and genuine. I admired him, respected him, and now I will miss him. Godspeed, Bruce - you are a lost treasure!

23. aplaceinmyheart

aplaceinmyheart
    from NJ

The memorial service for my father will be held on Saturday, 12/7/19 starting at 11 am, with visiting starting at 10 am. It will be at First Baptist Church of Millburn in Millburn, NJ. Please pass on this info to anyone who knew my father and would want to join us. Reach out of you have any questions please, or need more details. Just trying to get the word out at the moment. Thanks guys <3

Thor1, warbird1, Petejoe and 4 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@aplaceinmyheart, continued heartfelt thoughts to you and the family in this time of loss and celebration of life...

Regards,
    Stogy

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Your Dad is an awesome man. If you are anything like your Dad and Grandfather, you are awesome and fortunate as well.

26. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Does the funeral home that is handling the arrangements have a website? It would be nice to sign a virtual visitors book and leave comments.....I considered your Father to be a real Mensch.

27. aplaceinmyheart

aplaceinmyheart
    from NJ

28. aplaceinmyheart

aplaceinmyheart
    from NJ

working on that. but for now, here is one that I made: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/204887231/bruce-morgan-lancaster

kidcampbell71, Stogy and Frankie47 like this.
  29. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. Scott

Scott

Haven't been on for a while
    Godspeed Bruce, you are one of the good ones

Stogy likes this.