Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage It's gonna be a long Winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, Nov 1, 2019.

1. I'm still putting away my pool and garden stuff, harvesting the garden every day to stay ahead of the frost. Have had a couple of 31* nights (mental note to turn the outside hoses off...). Still driving the Ford, a few guys I know have their cars packed up already. I drive mine all winter.

2. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Yea, it’s pretty if you don’t have to go out in it .

Old wolf likes this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

California winter sports, that is a good one… Being in coastal So Cal, it is possible to surf in the morning and drive to the local mountains within an hour or so to snow ski the rest of the day. But, it is a tiring event and a super long day for such shenanigans. It did happen and we were dead to the world afterwards. Had to spent the night in the mountains, no strength to drive home, after the long day’s ending activities.

Hello,

It hasn’t been much so far, but it has gotten to be a jacket kind of weather when the sun starts to drop. The days are still 70-80 on the coastlines. The inland areas have higher temps, but the open areas are down to freezing temps at night. But, with the terrible temps from the arctic blasting into the Rockies and Midwest, we feel for everyone affected by the unusual cold weather. It is even affecting those in the Eastern seaboard.

In reverse, we are getting Summer weather in mid-November. That does not happen that often, but it does fit in with the mild winters we have been used to for the last several years. My wife’s long -30 degree winter coat has been in the back of her closet and hasn’t seen the light of day for years. My similar ski jacket is also gathering dust as we speak.

The last time I wore a wetsuit, the morning was around 50 degrees. The air was cold, but the sun was out. The activity makes the wetsuits work well with the body temps and keeps us warm. If there is an abundance of action, despite the cold, we actually feel sweaty underneath the 2 mil to 3 mil spring suits and those nice warm 4 mil winter wetsuits.
    upload_2019-11-14_3-37-57.png
    The Last Wave
    2 mil sealed wetsuit, gloves, booties keep everything very warm despite the water temp at 50 degrees

The true Winter wetsuits for So Cal can go as thick as you want, but 3 mm-4 mm sealed is about perfect for the colder water temps. Of course, gloves, booties and if necessary, 3 mm hoodies. I never wore a hoodie for longer than a week. It bothered me to no end as vision/hearing was limited, although it was definitely warmer. It was not riding free and easy, with that tight "hoody", and the sound of the wave behind you was missing during the rides. But, to each his own.

Warmth in the winter environment makes it more enjoyable to pursue the wave action. The warmth of the body is under control using wetsuits, but when those Santana winds blow along with the cold water, your face just freezes while waiting for the next wave or while riding. Going under water while paddling outside is also a chilling event.

Jnaki
    My wife can tell there is something different in the air out West. It is November and it should start being cold. But, the early mornings don't warm up until 9 or 10 o'clock. It has also been thick, cold fog that does not burn off until that time period, too. Something is cooking and as part of this cold front, we might even get some rain this coming week. That is a good one...Ha, rain in So Cal... break out the shorts and t-shirts...

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. Ziggster

Ziggster

Already record setting cold and snow fall. Been battling cold/flu for last two weeks. It's gonna be tough...

5. blackanblue

blackanblue

Hard butter season is here, currently snowing on top of the 10 inches we got two days ago, going to pick up my vintage air stuff this afternoon so we can be comfy come summer.

6. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

We added a heated shop ~12 years ago. Built the Nomad and am finishig up now on a slighty OT convert. In Minnesota we tend to drive in the warm half of the year and build in the cold (if we have place).
    That is how I get throught the winter.

7. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hibernation beginning in 3..2... . . .

Old wolf likes this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Poor old thing.
    Hang on just a little longer...
    You'll be inside soon.
    Building nice big shelves and a bench for you... and the compressed air system... and a sandblasting cabinet... hook up the drill press... hang a bunch of lights.
    A little bit of paint on the walls.
    Gotta spiff the place up, 'cause we're gonna have company... a few thousand HAMB members.

1114191528.jpeg

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. keyt.michael

keyt.michael

I just signed up to see the car.... makes me want to get motivated to finish my 51 chevy 2dr hardtop.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

51pontiac likes this.
  10. I plan to get up early and butcher a couple small corn fed pigs in the morning. Just skin them and take them apart at the joints. In the afternoon I plan to take my chainsaw and kill a few trees to make firewood. The woodlands in the Ozarks have fell victim to High Grading, For Decades only the best most valuable trees where logged. leaving the cull and less desirable trees. Then there are too many trees per acre. that resulted in spindly crooked and sickly trees. Then we became infested with the wood borer. and it has killed many mature oak trees. So im thinning & culling the trees on the 4 acres we bought a year ago. And ive planted Osage orange & false orange seeds and white oak acorns in the fence rows. I want a thick hedge row about ten feet wide all around the property line. I got some chesnuts and am going to plant them in the early spring. In a decade or so my fence rows will be a haven for Squirrels and other wildlife.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old wolf... the Grizzly Adams Paul Bunyan of Arkansas.
    You're a worker.

dirty old man and Old wolf like this.
  12. Ziggster

Ziggster

Had to stop for these guys to let them cross the road in the middle of a snowstorm this morning.
    image.jpeg

13. Lil32

Lil32

feel sorry for U guys
    we have to put up with 37C here in Aussie today

14. coupe man

coupe man

The only good thing about winter is when you have to plow snow with your tractor, your beer doesn't get warm.

dirty old man, Old wolf and 57 Fargo like this.
  15. Plenty of white crap here....looks like the Falcon can slow down...sucks having a motor that’s not even been broken in sitting in the shop...saw a sad statistic..the average last snowfall for our area is 148 days from now....that’s a loooonnngg time 8DB246D6-9A01-41C2-BCF7-563FBFD3732B.jpeg

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very pretty... in a fall on your butt, salt up the back of your pants, crash your car, pain in the ass dangerous kind of way.
    LOL

17. Sorry, Tiki..I can't wait that long..Got to hear it now!

18. upspirate

upspirate

This should have been in the fall colors thread but oh well.
    Fall in Florida. Breathtaking... Fall in Florida. Breathtaking....jpg

treb11 likes this.