Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 Chevy chopped and sectioned

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by insinna, Nov 14, 2019.

1. insinna

insinna

I recently acquired this 1953 Chevy... It's been chopped 3" and sectioned 3"... It was originally a post car, but I am really diggin it without the post....i have the vent windows and have a plan to have the windows meet where the post was.... So here's my dilemma... Is it possible to get the rear quarter window to roll down with the car being sectioned?.... What regulators might work?...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! FB_IMG_1571061578170.jpeg FB_IMG_1571074657144.jpeg FB_IMG_1571074665154.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20191114_192147.jpg 20191114_192405.jpg 20191114_183845.jpg 20191114_183922.jpg 20191114_184054.jpg be more concerned with front and rear glass - side glass, look for a Bel Air hardtop to get parts from

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Hombre, loudbang and blowby like this.
  3. insinna

insinna

I have 2 windshields to be cut, there's a local guy who does them... And I also have 2 rear windows... The rear window is stock, it was just laid down, and chop was done with it in place...

loudbang likes this.
  4. insinna

insinna

I'm not sure that belair regulators will work, looking at how the rear wheel opening is, not sure it will go down far enough

loudbang likes this.

5. 6sally6

6sally6

You've done this much fantastic work.............why not fab up a 'pocket' in the wheelhouse for the rolled down window to go into?!
    Nice work and I don't normally like "old shivel-layz".
    6sally6

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    insinna likes this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

You would also need to address the problem of the windows sealing. GM hardtops of this era had that funky flip out moulding at the top which your sedan does not have.

Hombre, loudbang and insinna like this.
  7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That is one cool custom! Good luck with the project.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

any close up pics of how this was done? - depending on how much front glass opening was modified, windshield possibly can be lowered into cowl so you do not have to deal with cutting curved glass (not cheap) - sectioned body and having roll up windows requires modifying regulators - do a mock up window and see how it fits without regulator and go from there

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  9. insinna

insinna

I can't take credit for the work that was done to this point... I bought it from a friend who did all the metal work so far.... But your pocket idea might work!

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  10. insinna

insinna

Thanks... unfortunately it won't be in my garage till spring.... Just trying to use this down time to feel out ideas and gather some parts... Will definitely look into getting hard top parts....

loudbang likes this.
  11. insinna

insinna

Thanks... I bought it from a friend who got it this far...and while I don't plan on making major changes , I'm going to put my touches on some of the things he has done... I'm also planning on building a custom dash and wild 60's futuristic interior...

12. I've seen where the 1/4 windows slide in and out. You want the windows down, slide them out and put them in the trunk.

john worden and 62rebel like this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Looking good. You get that hood cleaned up and you are stylin' and profilin'. The rear license plate area I am hoping you are putting your touch on that. Does not flow with the rest of your pride and joy.

14. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Good looking car. The rear side windows could be "fixed" and you'd just have to worry about the door glass, or maybe use the slide out version as mentioned....if the regulators don't work.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

to gain extra room just "simply" use a narrowed rearend with springs moved inboard - then modify inner wheelwells with added support to keep body stable - fender skirts will hide this and not look out of place - easier to change tires too

16. 'Mo

'Mo

Bill Hoffman's Chevy was not chopped, but it was hard-topped. Rear windows slid out.

[​IMG]

loudbang and Jalopy Joker like this.
  17. choptop40

choptop40

The fixed glass is a good option...I have a complete pair of 1940 GM , Cadillac , Buick , Olds full size coupe quarter window slider mechanisms...They slide the glass back 3-4 inches or so...enough to get airflow...ill get some pics maybe Saturday...

loudbang likes this.
  18. insinna

insinna

I'm not sure if I'm doing anything back here yet....this angle show s the rear of the car better IMG_20191025_201035710.jpeg

19. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Really like the shape of the rear fins!

insinna likes this.
  20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Interesting ride. Fins are neat, but those tail lights suck.

21. 'Mo

'Mo

'59 Lincoln headlights are rarely seen on Kustoms. I thought you might like to see this Buick.

[​IMG]

Joe Wilhelm's "Mark Mist".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  22. atomickustom

atomickustom

There is no reason why the rear quarter windows can't work. The original pocket is plenty deep for 3" shorter glass and no way a 3"section will cause problems - they don't go that far into the body. There is probably 2 feet between the rockers and the bottom of the original window pocket.
    Originals did not go down all the way but a 3" chop should put them down to flush with tops of rear quarters.

Your problem will be the gap where the post used to be. You will either need the glass to go BACK as well as down or use removable glass. You can probably just tilt the original mechanism to make this work?

My two cents: don't do fixed glass. My '53 is much more pleasant to drive with the rear windows rolled down and a hardtop will look much better with the glass down or out.

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

I agree. square license surround on a round car does not flow

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  24. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Looking good Jeff! Can't wait to see the finished product! I second the idea of just putting slide in glass in the quarter windows. When you want them down, slide it out and put in the trunk. Probably the easiest way to make it functional? Or you can try to fab up something.
    Keep me posted on this build! I want to see it in the Cavalcade show when it's done!!! Haha Good luck!

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple ideas.

Changing to pivoting windows, ala Buick and/or Chrysler might get you a little more clearance.

Or you could simply limit the travel. They don't have to roll down all the way. Although... it's easily understood why it's important... the clean and unique look of a hardtop isn't fully realized until all the windows are down.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and insinna like this.
  26. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

removing the cntr post looks awesome . never seen it on a 54 before ! does it use a stock rear glass or do ya have to cut it ?

loudbang likes this.
  27. insinna

insinna

As far as rear window? It's stock...just laid down...

28. Are the quarter windows flat? If so you can cut the clearance for the wheelhouse into the glass? Maybe? And as for regulators, if the glass is able to travel straight up and down, I'd stick power regulators in there. Cheap way to do it in my opinion

insinna likes this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

Cars like 60's Chevelles, and probably Camaros and Mustangs with hardtops had the quarter glass slide down on an arch. This is so it could also tilt forward and make a tighter fit to the door glass. Might want to also look into the stainless and rubber seal that they used between the door and quarter glass. They are usually curved, but you might be able to straighten it out.

X-cpe and insinna like this.