Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I need help with my Rear End.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rbaumgar, Nov 14, 2019.

1. rbaumgar

rbaumgar

Hello all,
    I'm putting together my first car, a '31 Ford frame with a '28 coup body.
    I am looking for advice and guidance regarding the rear end.
    At this point I've Z'd the back of the stock frame and plan to keep the 50's style Ford (5X5.5) wheels. I currently have both a 7.5 inch 10 bolt S-10 rear-end and a 1995 BOP (Roadmaster wagon)10 bolt rear-end. The BOP is limited slip.... My question is, which of the two axels is the better for a cheap first build.
    I plan to use a SBC 283 mated to a TH350. which is why I don't plan to use the Banjo that came with the basket case when I bought it.
    Any advice is appreciated.

2. alchemy

alchemy

I bet you could find a 9" Ford with the 5.5" bolt pattern from a 60's pickup for not too much money. Probably $100 for the rear, and another $60 in all the parts to rebuild the brakes. New bearings are easy to put on the axles and might cost the most of the whole deal.

Then you don't need to worry about any redrilling of axles or adapters (which both add up to $$ themselves).

3. Which one has the correct width? I am not familiar with the BOP rearend but I think the S-10 rear might be the right width. I would think that a Roadmaster wagon would be too wide to look right.
    But some people like a wide rearend....:eek:
    I think alchemy has the best idea.

4. S10 borders on too narrow and Roadmaster is almost certainly way too wide. Neither one has the correct bolt pattern.

A 66 Ford F100 turned up in the you-pick here, may even still be there, I thought about picking the rear just to have around because it's ideal for a Model A. The trucks are of pretty low value, it shouldn't be that hard to find a rear out of one. First gen Bronco works too but they can be pricey and the pumpkin's slightly off center.

Alternately, the S10 if a 4x4 (they're wider) combined with some '54 Chevy hubs would get you the same bolt pattern all around and can be put together without too much trouble.

Hnstray likes this.

5. evintho

evintho

You need to determine what your rearend width needs to be. For a Model A it's probably in the high 50" range. The Ford 8" rear is a good cheap alternative. I have a '75 Maverick rear in my avatar. It's 56" wide WMS to WMS.

6. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

find an early ford bronco 9" . the width is perfect and will have correct bolt pattern

7. RocktimusPryme

RocktimusPryme

I cant speak specifically to a 1995 roadmaster as far as width, but Im fairly positive there really isn't any such thing as a BOP type rear end after the early 70s. Gm started phasing everything to the "corporate" 10 bolts in that time period.By 1973-4 I think everything was corporate. Motors followed in 1982.

IF, the roadmaster rear fits under the car dimensionally, I would bet dollars to dounuts its a corporate 8.5" 10 bolt and makes for a very strong rear with lots of aftermarket support. Really its only drawback is that its a C clip rear end.

8. Andy

Andy

I am a big fan of Maverick rears. I have had one under my 32 roadster for 30 years. I use wheel adapters. Never a problem and I can use the 5.5 Ford wheels.The width is just right for the car and they weigh at least 50 lbs less than a 9”. Less weight=faster and better ride plus better gas mileage.

9. Find a '66 -'77 Ford Bronco rear axle, it's the right width and the correct bolt pattern. HRP

10. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

A Mustang 8” is all you need and a lot less $. That’s what I have in my ‘33 two door and my rpu.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

8.8 inch out of a ford explorer. If I remember correctly 1996 to 2002. They often have trac-loc and disc brakes and they are at almost every pick and pull.

rbaumgar likes this.
  12. I will 3rd the suggestion of the early small body Bronco, although it will be a bit harder to get your hands on and will most likely command a higher cost, it is a 9 inch, it will most likely have a good ratio, width is perfect and the bolt pattern is what you want. Just start looking around for ones sitting around or hit the 4 wheel drive shops and put the word out. I know out here in Colorado early Broncos are worth more than gold. Good luck, Mitch.

13. 1biggun

1biggun

The early Bronco fit well but there hard to get cheap.
    There only 28 spline.
    Some have larger than normal Axle tubes so normal brackets dont fit right on.
    There almost to narrow for a traverse spring with normal brackets.
    Many have 4.11 gears and a locker.
    I have one for my Model A pick up but I'm actually thinking of going with a 8" Maverick. For a 300 HP set up.
    I'll use the 9" for something better.

The 8.8 Explorer with two shorter axles from one side work well if you chop one side of the housing . There dirt cheap .
    Ugly rear cover . car pattern easy to get disk brakes if you want that .

The s10 works fine , ugly rear cover IMO cheap. Disk brake versions available.

14. birdman1

birdman1

I would recommend the one with limited slip, just to get it on the road
    You can always change it later when you get more money.

rbaumgar likes this.
  15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This being your 1st build, I'd surmise that you’re on a strict budget. That said, the rear that would be the cat’s meow would be a 9” Ford from a 57-59 passenger car, station wagon or ranchero.
    They’re a great width and at one point plentiful. I can say that I’ve had some experience in that as I pulled 1500 out of a junkyard that had to relocate 30 yrs ago.
    Rustynewyorker has a good idea for you with the 66 Ford 1/2 ton P/U rear end. They’re as he stated 5.5” bolt circle. They’re plentiful in rural areas as Ford produced that rear into the 90’s I believe.
    And they can’t be all that expensive ????
    The S-10 Rear End would most likely work with what you’re building with the addition of the 4.75” to 5.5” spacers-wheel adapters, Heck , Gene Scott made a bunch of money with Wheel-Adapts as one of his companion companies to PSI and Antique Auto Parts. ;).

16. 8flat

8flat

This is what I used in my F1 and it's worked out really well. Except the posi clutches need to be replaced but it's not like I'm doing burnouts with my flathead real often...haha

17. Bronco rear axle with transverse spring, no problem at all. HRP

[​IMG]

18. 1biggun

1biggun

Time for me to learn something.
    Is that spring narrower than a model A spring and the traditional type weld on street rod brackets like many use on top of the axle??

I set my spring over my rearend and it looked pretty tight with the shackles.
    I'd like to run it in a pretty stock A frame

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

get a 9" pickup rear and you can carry one spare

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am running a Maverick 8" in my 34 PU. About 56" wide and a perfect fit.

Andy likes this.
  21. dan r brooks

dan r brooks

I always use a 8.5" axle out of a gen 2 camaro If I recall they are 56" from backing plate to backing plate
    plenty wide enough for a 29

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A 8.8" from the late 80's to '93 Explorer is 58.5" face to face on the drums and perfect width for your build. I get them in 3.7 3limited slip at my Pick & Pull for $110 every holiday weekend.They are the best buy out there, and extremely strong. Ran one under my '63 Falcon with a 464 c.i. BBC and a lot of hard launches with slicks. Never an issue. They are a copy of the Chevy 12 bolt, and have some parts interchangeability.

23. loudbang

loudbang

The "new friendly HAMB" with the title of this thread and NOT ONE rear end joke :confused:

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I was gonna suggest he go to proctologists.com , but everybody was being so PC.......

25. Believe me, I wanted to but I fought off the urge since the guy is new here and I didn't want to ruin his post for help.

26. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

So does my Wife !!

Had to say it .

VR&C

rbaumgar and loudbang like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

All of the 9" F-100 rears from 1957 and up, are around 61" drum to drum. The other problem is the pinion is offset 4.375" to the right, causing drive line problems. I shorten the left hand housing 4,375" and re-spline the axle. The Bronco is probably your best bet.

loudbang likes this.
  28. 6sally6

6sally6

[​IMG]
    OK-OK........somebody had to do it!!!!
    6sally6

loudbang likes this.
  29. alchemy

alchemy

Does the original axle have enough meat to spline it further down? It doesn't neck down?

I've got a couple out back but haven't opened any up yet. I did buy an early Bronco a year ago, and have found a couple 57-ish passenger 9"ers as well.

30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Dana 44 axles are less expensive than 9" fords, have stronger housings, and come in lots of narrow widths.
    Jeep TJ rears are 60" wide. CJ7 is 54. And F1 rears are 61" wide. And you can use parts from almost any year you like with some swapping. I have built several of these over the years, they go together like Lego.

If you are running a flathead you could run a dana 35 out of a jeep YJ. They have mostly 3.07 gears and are about $50 to buy.

rbaumgar likes this.