Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 roadster...thoughts???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nos1partstore, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

I am contemplating buying this 1930 roadster. It has a 1962 283 with th350 and a 9 inch. I can pick it up for $17,500. I dont wont to over spend so i would like yalls opinion on value please.

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS, Stogy and nochop like this.
  2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

My opinion ,if it's running,driving,registered,it's a good price.body looks nice.upholstry looks good.just my opinion

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I guess I'm out of touch because I think it's 5k to much. I think it needs a lot of work.

lucky ink and Stogy like this.
  4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I think $17,500 is pushing it. I dont care for the front axle having the bat wings welded to it. And what's up that big plate welded onto the left front frame rail? Is that the steering box mount?
    On the positive, it does look like a nice body and the right header is vintage cool.

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Can you find all the pieces individually and build one like that for less money? If yes, then it’s overpriced. If not then and you can negotiate it down it’s a deal.

GordonC, Stogy and Peter Nowak like this.
  6. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

probably not. A new roadster body is 7k by itself. This one is Henry ford, and obviously titled too. It does need a few things that i can see...work on the steering setup and i would do a drop axle onstead of that tubular one

jim snow and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Nos1partstore that looks like an Old Hotrod, any Connections to the History...I like it and think that's a fair price and there may even be some wiggle room...

A great base for a Hamb of a Good Time...

Does it have fenders and any other parts? The Rears look like they were removed recently. I was thinking those were patched in well but I think thats just dirty wheelwell...How is the body in the floor and subrail area...It looks pretty darn straight and solid...

Is it Roadworthy and Titled?

Fingers crossed for you...

I do see a great little Hotrod there for sure...​

OLSKOOL57 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Yes, roadworthy and titled in owners name as a 1930 roadster. I am not sure on the history, but it does come with a full four piece hood. Definitely has a nostalgic look to it. i would want to improve the drop axle and steering situation. Put a 40s steering wheel and probably different floor shifter...oh, maybe 32 grill, bit thats pretty much it

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's The Vintage Soul...:D

Seriously Remember Kookie...this thing may have had an interesting evolution
    I'm no expert but would that be minus the Trans be a 65 and down make up...there really is a lot to like...

It almost looks a bit of a Time Capsule

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really think it has a Vintage early 60s Vibe going and if it were Me that Shell would remain proudly...it really has a Pleasing look and Stance...

That Rubber/Rim combo really fits the bill...A really great opportunity Nos...;)

VANDENPLAS and Just Gary like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

If the steering looks like that what does the brake system look like? Think it is over priced. Bob

lucky ink and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are great shots Nos provided and I think there are some pretty close tolerance clearances. There is a boss near the aft upper wishbone that looks near in near collision and as Cornfield alluded some questionable Jalopy Racer Stuff.

They may be honest Garage Built Hotrod touchs...Old Minds...some magazines Beer and Torches...;)

But truly make the unsafe safe without losing the Spirit that's before us...

13. upspirate

upspirate

Besides making it safe, you want to change a lot of things.
    Old wiring? (any old car/rod I figure I will have to re-wire unless a good new job is in it)
    Not going into the pros&cons, are those old tires that may need to be changed also?
    What will you have in it after changes/what it'd be worth then?
    Running/driving currently?
    Is it local where you can inspect it or have to have it shipped sight-unseen?
    Not saying it's bad or good price,just some questions for you to think about

14. catdad49

catdad49

Take an uninterested buddy with you (second set of eyes). Is there a lift available? Still interested? Test drive, still interested? Make an offer. Let us know, thanks.

15. jim snow

jim snow

Good advice right there. I think it’s a cool old hot rod.jmho. Snowman

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those pictures don't show us much about the quality of it really. It is good looking. How is the car built is the main question. If its solid and well constructed home grown doesn't equal shoddy all the time. When was it last on the road and being used? Does it have a few extra parts? I think that price is fair. If you tried to buy the components and assemble one today you will pay way more than that. The car does have the look as Stogy mentioned and it may be a car you can drive and enjoy as you update the things you mentioned. If that would make you happy then I say go for it.

catdad49, Stogy, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  17. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Steering looks iffy to me, heavy plate welded to the frame and a flat strap for the pitman arm, I think it's over priced.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. Looking a little closer at the steering, it might turn the wheels while in the shop but how can it possibly work under road conditions? Looks like a heavy contact point to me. Lot's to do for sure but it's all there. What's up with the seat? Cushions didn't start life in this car or even the same one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  19. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

yes, the steering is something that i would redo first. i would get a new column, vega box, and cross steer setup. Have to clean up the frame in that area where the plate was welded to

20. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

i was wrong about my initial description of the rearend...appears to be a chevy rear

Attached Files:

21. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

yes, the steering looks like a shady mechanic job

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  22. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Yeah, don't drive that......

jim snow, Stogy and 31Dodger like this.
  23. Wow! That's scary looking right there... For $17.5k, it should be damn near a show quality build. Figure out what you will be spending to fix it, then make a fair offer.

31Dodger likes this.
  24. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] How much Bondo is in that? Guy couldn't block sand could he?

66gmc and 427 sleeper like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Stand right there, have a friend put a floor jack under the front axle, try to jack it up 6 inches, tell us what hits first. Bob

Stogy, Pist-n-Broke and 427 sleeper like this.
  27. Then keep looking or start lowballing.
    You Are better off buying a car that someone lovingly put together for themselves and used plenty . Not one that’s hodgepodgeslappeftogetherbullshitforprofitFlIppedtothenextguy To straighten out the problems rides. It’s a different story if it’s priced accordingly

28. Motherfucker needs his man card revoked for doing that shit

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car has obvious problems, and it means there are other problems that aren't obvious. Created with the build method 31 Vicky mentioned.

Even at way less money, it still has problems.

If you were going to possibly buy this car for $17,500, I think you'd be way way happier in the long run looking for a way better car for a little bit more money.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Holy shit, did Ray Charles set up the steering on that?! WTF?!