Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Three cars stolen at Pleasanton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake 27, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Blake 27

Blake 27

nochop, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. sdluck

sdluck

So sad

nochop likes this.
  3. 1000 buck reward? goodguys seem like they really ain't.

4. Probably already on a boat out of the country

Dave Mc and 49ratfink like this.
  5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

don't take it for granted that just parking your ride anywhere in plain view of public makes it safe from theft - bad guys everywhere - even at small shows - maybe not traditional but, an alarm/tracking app on your cell phone might help -

Deuces, Uribe and loudbang like this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

I remember when I first went to car shows people would leave the key in the ignition. Probably the1980's. Even at big events like NSRA events. Oh well, that was the old days.

7. Close to a port, maybe SF? I would say the same.

Dave Mc and 49ratfink like this.
  8. And no security cameras show the A-Holes stealing those rides?

5window and mad mikey like this.
  9. pitman

pitman

10. Fused electric fuel pump with the fuse pulled out,or a ground out switch on the ignition makes your car too much trouble time wise.They simply take the other guys car that they don't have to trouble shoot.

clem and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I'm always skeptical of these deals, as I knew of a local guy, who used a big show to stage the "disappearance" of his car. Big insurance pay-out and the car resurfaced some years later.

12. I suspect each might have been a team effort. One member engages the car owner in a distraction or delay away from where the car is located, while the other(s) make away with the car.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good reminder to check your insurance policies today. There has been and always will be thieves. You cant prevent it anymore than you can prevent growing old and paying taxes.

I read in an old, dusty, seldom referenced these days book once something to the effect that you ought not put your hard earned money into items that thieves can steal from you or rust will destroy, seems our hobby is all about doing exactly that. Of course they probably didn't have good insurance policies back when that was written. :cool:

Just thoughts from a well lubed mind.

Deuces, arkiehotrods, 56don and 7 others like this.
  14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I was at this show... And unfortunately, I can see how this could happen at any large event like this. Owner leaves his/her car, thieves have 'look-outs' watch/follow owner for location tracking. Then the thief gets to work hot-wiring or otherwise to make car drivable. All the while, nobody thinks anything of it. Could be the owner messing with the car as far as anyone around knows. Hope they are able to track these down!

15. Three guys come up with the same idea at the same time, same place?......or were they working as a team and stole each others cars? I guess anything is possible. I did hear that Rod Serling was spotted in the crowd.;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Sad as it is, it's probably a good idea to go to theses events with at least one other buddy and his car. Park together and take turns going off to see the "sights", one person always with the cars. Kind of like having a swap meet space.
    I have to admit, I never really worried about my hot rods in the past but since I finished my '56 Chevy security crosses my mind more often since Tri-fives seem to always be popular and the parts are so interchangeable. It's the first "hot rod" I've ever put full coverage insurance on.
    Thieves suck, I hope they get the cars back and the thieves get a full ride in one of our luxury California penitentiaries.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. The big shows have become targets for thieves, you can take all the precautions to ensure you don't come back to find a empty parking space where you last saw your car but it's a cold hard if they want your car they have perfected their art of stealing it in record time.

Having ample insurance is a must in the world we live in, I know a couple of guys that have been devastated when they came out of their motel room early wanting to beat the crowd to the show only to find their car gone.

Both guys had good insurance that covered the cars but it was still a big loss. HRP

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and j3harleys like this.
  18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Unfortunately, the way the law is today, you'd probably have to sell your hot rod to
    pay lawyer and court fees if you shot someone for attempting to steal "property"
    with no attempted bodily harm incurred. The old horse thieving mentality of wild west justice is gone.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  19. Plus you WILL spend time in a jail cell,,,this I do know. Mitch.

Spoggie and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. uncle buck

uncle buck

No it's not, I still see the keys in the ignition of cars at shows and swap meets all the time

31Apickup and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Do a search on stolen rods @ GoodGuys events, this isn't the first time, kinda hush, hush. And yes I know it happens in a lot of events. Do you ever hear of it happening @ BJ or Mecum?
    I would like to hear stories of someone getting caught red handed, in the moment of stealing a hot rod.....................................

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. oldolds

oldolds

Barret Or Mecum is an auction. They "own" your cars when they are there. The only way you get a car out is with release paperwork. There is only one way in and one way out. Even with that I am sure there are slip-ups.

weps, chryslerfan55 and 49ratfink like this.
  23. Car thieves deserve a bullet to the effin' head.
    I've got more respect for pimps. And that 'aint much.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

from the story: Detectives are working leads and looking for video evidence from the area that could help with the investigation.

31Dodger likes this.
  25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

who leaves a $100,000 vintage Porsche in a parking lot with the top down? a guy with good insurance.

INVISIBLEKID, Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Convertible top doesn't deter thieves much. Said he couldn't get into the event because of american cars only event.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Heard of cars being stolen from hotels surrounding an event but not from the event itself. Scary business makes you not want to leave your car alone. Some form a an anti theft deterent should certainly help.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I used to work the gates at Good Guys Events in Pleasanton. Because I wore a staff tee shirt people would come to me to report that their car was stolen, about 2 a day, I am NOT kidding, 2 a day. These were mainly stolen out of the spectators lot. From my vantage point you could see unmarked tow trucks driving up and down the rows, no sh*t

29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

lothiandon1940 likes this.