Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does your hot rod or custom have any leaks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 7, 2019.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My wife’s first car was a 1962 Corvair Coupe. It was a blue silver color and from a distance, it looked brand new when she bought it in 1965. It was her college transportation car and after we got married after college, it was OUR daily driver. Since I was the mechanical person in the relationship, it was my job to take care of the cars in the garage. Our 65 El Camino was trouble free, so that was definitely a relief.

But, that little Corvair was known to leak and leak it did. Our neighbors always commented on how shiny the rear bumper was after I had wiped it clean. But, if they had seen it moments before, it was so thick with splattered oil that it looked like a custom paint applied in a greenish black color. The oil was definitely coming from the motor. It did not have that transmission oil smell. Our measly finances made it impossible for a full rebuild of the motor, so we did what we were told by our local mechanics to stop or slow down the leakage.

The one thing the Corvair had going for it was the ability to start every time, anywhere. Despite the oil leaks, it started every single time and that is why my wife liked her car. It got her where she wanted to go all of the time. (except twice: Once on the I-10 in East L.A. and once on PCH during one of strongest Santana wind conditions.) Each time, our expert pro mechanic fixed the problem and it was running fine again. But, getting stopped in the middle of East Los Angeles and in a barren 5 miles strip on a wind blown, sandy Highway was not pleasurable, even for a care-free 20 something.

Jnaki

The oil leaks we could live with as we did not do a lot of driving (our 65 El Camino was the reliable workhorse) and the parking area was in a pebble strewn/sandy parking lot. It was like cat litter for the Corvair and its woes. My wife had enough of the Corvair antics, so she sold it to her uncle for $100, which we never got. But, hey, it was family and he needed something to get around.

So far, no one has mentioned water leaks. The Corvair was build low to the ground. When we wanted to use our factory air vents for a cooling drive, they opened under the dash with the standard pull handle. Little did we know that during any heavy rain…Yes, it rains in sunny So Cal. Well at least it did back then. That Corvair air vent seemed to be a leaking point of entry.

So, if the roads were flooded, the Corvair had an exciting time going into a deep puddle created by the standard road dips on some roads. At first, it seemed like it would float around a corner or slide into something, while going through the deep puddle. After one "floating" incident, on any rainy day or chance of rain, my wife took the 1965 El Camino to work. (and I had to wear boots to drive around in the leaky Corvair.)

But, the worst thing I found out was that if the vents were left open, I am not sure how this works, but water came pouring into the car from the open vents. Eventually, with some emergency testing, even with the vents closed and taped shut, water came into the cab. Somehow, the low stance of the Corvair drew in the deep water and out it came into the floor of the interior. Not in little drips, but huge flowing water streams. That was a mystery and one big leak. It was like Niagara Falls every time it rained. The old saying, when it rains, it pours is literally, a great description of the interior of the Corvair.

Note: She was listening to a TV show I was watching and the owner of the hot rod in the show said he has kept his car since high school. I could hear her laugh and then she said it was a good thing we did not keep that leaky Corvair… To us, it has no value, but to other Corvair fanatics, it would have been a star. She said that the leaky Corvair would have ruined our nice garage floor and smelled up the whole place. Times have changed…

bchctybob and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The convertible hasn’t moved for over a month, walked past the front bumper the other night,and now there’s a coolant leak, too far back to be from the radiator, it’s got a new water pump, I’ll have to pressurize it and see where it’s coming from

3. Yep, they have leaks. One day I was backing the Nomad out of Micky D's. A guy was just being nice. He said, I think your car may have a leak. He pointed to a spot on the pavement where I was parked. I said Thank You, but I'd really be worried if it stopped leaking. :rolleyes: lol It was the rear trans seal. Plus the rear window leaks too. But hay it's an old car. Ron...... 2304.jpg

1959Nomad and jnaki like this.
  4. 392

I’m in the yes crowd but tackling as I go.

5. I’m on the side of, if it does not leak i’d be worried, as it has always leaked somewhere.

WB69 likes this.
  6. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

81RxLU-DK4L._SX425_ (1).jpg I apply a thin layer of this stuff to most gaskets and have had excellent results. About the only thing that will keep a Detroit diesel from leaking. Dont go overboard, too much and you may find it in a place you dont want it.

7. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

In my case it would be easier to install two floor drains

Peter Nowak likes this.
  8. Does your hot rod or custom have any leaks? Does a bear shit in the woods? (actually, not in N Texas....we don't have woods)
    Yeah, very small brake fliud leak...maybe an ounce in 7-8k miles. small coolant leaks. Not sure if I have an oil leak.....oil is down about 1/2 quart between oil changes.

9. Texas57 likes this.
  10. You can buy horse stall mats at Tractor Supply or at farm supply stores.

Made of recycled rubber - one side has channels - other side is smooth.

I have run them in my last two trailers.

I place them between etrac to minimize shifting - I can just replace a mat if it is damaged - they cost around $40.

2289E396-EAF8-4BB2-86EB-DDC2E3581951.jpeg

I carry Harbor Freight moving blankets

I place those under leaking vehicles.

My latest all aluminum car hauler is a Tommy Trailer ( hand made in Oklahoma ).

They are very hard to come by.

I lucked out when I picked up a vehicle a few months ago to find one for sale.

It weighs less than 3000 pounds and has a GVWR of 10,400 pounds.

The flooring is aluminum.

E2D39E1B-7B00-472D-B317-D705A738BACA.jpeg

Jim

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  11. bchctybob

bchctybob

“Does your hot rod or custom have any leaks?”
    Ha, ha, ha..... three have TH350s and one has a PG - they all leak. The TH350s have that 2 week, big leak syndrome. The PG is in her Corvair so it’s inevitable. My neighbor came by and saw the puddles on the floor, “cars leak a little?” “Nope, my shop sits over a rich ATF deposit”.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Darryl Deir, 1959Nomad and jnaki like this.
  12. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

13. Some of them- PU was leaking a qt. every 100 miles but finally addressed that- top end gaskets and valve guide seals stopped that but rear end leaking more and more- '46 not a drop-

14. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

I am older then my truck. Guess which one leaks ?

15. 6sally6

6sally6

How do you spell LEAK?
    I spell it FORD! .......................................My hot-rod-Ford has the occasional "snotty nose" and drips here and there. Not terrible but it definitely likes to "mark-it's-territory"!
    6sally6

16. 18n57

18n57

The 265 in my 34 drips a bit from the rear seal. Not a big bother. I wonder if they did when new?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well I knew I read this somewhere..

The only leak on my fresh SBC build was at the timing cover/pan seal. Chrome timing cover, was all I had. Lesson learned. But I have the leak stopped so far. Didn't want to pull the pan or cover so I bodged it. Cut a U shape in a piece of 3/16 aluminum plate that fit the front of the pan. Cleaned the gap between the lip of the cover and the pan. Shoved some Right Stuff in the gap. Put a bottle jack under the U plate and pressed up on the pan. Used a lever to pry the timing cover lip back towards the pan. Let her dry. That was a week ago, so far so good.

18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Leaks? The only thing I have that doesn't leak is my 14 Corvette and my new Silverado. Even my wifes18 Caddy leaks and all 4 of my deuces and the 40 have some form of leak. I don't think I've ever had a street rod without a leak somewhere??????????

61Cruiser likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

maybe should have just done a survey in heading of thread, assuming most all vehicles leak - now let's change topic to who has a old Harley Davidson that is ridden and does not leak

nunattax likes this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Most of my oil leaks can be traced to my valve covers, how do you guys make your engines leak proof, or can that possibly be done? HRP[/QUOTE]

on the valve cover front u could try this.clean down the heads gasket surface (sbc) with white spirit using new rag.stick the new rocker gasket to the head using permatex ultra black thin coat of grease on the top of gasket.use studs in the head to locate the gaskets .no shitty chrome valve covers .clean off any excess sealant with white spirits.with the gaskets stuck to the heads it retains the oil when setting up your hyd lifters.jack up whatever side of the engine you are working onto keep the oil in.works for me.i used thicker gaskets to clear roller tipped rockers .helps to keep the oil in too.new grommets in the pcv.modified the covers to accept push in filler cap (nice snug fit) in oem finned covers.and finally plumbed the pcv to the ait filter.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

mine leaked a good bit around 100mph

22. I'm adding another valve cover breather and the correct GM oil filter adapter and hope it slows mine down. If not I'll ship the car off to my buddy's shop. He is slow and could use the work, he can take his time with it.

23. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

"Is A Frogs Ass Water Tight?".. Oil%20Spill--Garage%20A_JPG_600.jpg

GlassThamesDoug and bobss396 like this.
  24. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Everyone gives goodwrench 350s a bad name but the 20 year old one in my 37 Chevy is dry as a bone

nunattax and LOU WELLS like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-3-30_4-1-57.png
    Hello,

My first real car, a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery was the hit of the teenagers in our group. They all thought it was a blast to roll around in the back when we went all over So Cal. Seat belts? What were those? But, the noise and the hollow chamber in the back just made it more fun, like we were all inside of a delivery van getting milk bottles to the next house on the block.

But, at the end of the night, most of us smelled like smoke/gasoline/oil of some kind. The flat head did not have any engine oil leaks, exhaust leaks, carburetor leaks or radiator leaks. But, it did burn oil, (The motor did not have any excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust) hence the use of reclaimed oil instead of a can or two of Valvoline.

No one mechanic could trace the oil usage unless the block was completely torn apart. That was something I could not do as it was my main daily driver to high school and to the beach. The flathead did not smoke, but was a mystery. When the hood was lifted, the Flathead was spotless. That was the puzzling part. My mom’s concrete driveway pad was also spotless.

Also, the smell from the motor areas through the small holes in the firewall made all of us stink like a gas station. My dates and friends eventually gave me the hint that they would drive or we could go in the 1958 Impala to the movies, drive in restaurants, or just to the local Alamitos Bay for a beach day, no surfing.

I spent almost every day after school and a couple of weeks in the auto shop trying to find the source of the smoke laden fumes that got on our clothes. I started to patch up small holes in the dash, firewall, and, the areas surrounding the clutch, wires, hoses and brake pedal areas. I filled so many holes and cracks that it looked and smelled clean afterwards. Now, the test was the daily drives.

Jnaki

The patching did the job of keeping the smell out of the Sedan Delivery cab and empty hollow area behind the seats. So, for the next three years, we had a neutral smell in the cab and occupants. That made going out on dates more relaxing and not always hearing… “Why don’t we take the 58 Impala to the movies or the beach…”

upload_2020-3-30_4-4-54.png

26. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Now I know why the old drive ways were 2 paved strips with dead grass in the center. I could be wrong but I suspect leaks were common when the cars were pretty new.

27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-3-30_6-20-24.png 1956 Westside of Long Beach

Hello,

We grew up from 1953 until 1998 in our second Westside of Long Beach house. It was a very small two bedroom one bath/two car garage home built as a post war housing tract near the Los Angeles River. That had several advantages. One, the soil had many years of flooding with outstanding LA River water, adding fantastic top soil to all of the land within blocks of the river, flowing out to the shoreline in downtown Long Beach. Anyone could grow anything because of the soil. After the houses were built, there was a run of post war expansion and frantic house buying.
    upload_2020-3-30_6-21-33.png
    Two, 90-95 percent of the yards had grass in the front yard, grass in the back yard and grass in between the concrete drive way leading from front to back. Every third house had a single car garage. We had a two-car garage. But, we all had long extended yards, so there was a huge lot to grow things and/or build additional living recreational buildings back there.
    upload_2020-3-30_6-22-3.png

Jnaki

My brother and I liked the grass in between the concrete driveway leading to the backyard concrete pad. When we were learning to drive, those narrow, concrete driveways made us good drivers and expert car handlers in very narrow driveways leading into the real garage.
    upload_2020-3-30_6-22-34.png upload_2020-3-30_6-22-45.png
    Yes, the grass did hide oil drops, but all of our family cars and hot rods, did not leak oil and ruin our mom’s nice grass areas. She was a fanatic and planted Dichondra in the front yard and the narrow path leading to the back yard. Oil definitely would kill Dichondra grass in a snap.

upload_2020-3-30_6-23-13.png

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  28. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Always hy-dry under the ole girls..

29. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Does dripping cool count?