Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Acceptable coil resistance Flame Thrower II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5brown1, Nov 13, 2019.

1. 5brown1

5brown1

I have a Pertronix FlameThrower II coil with 0.6 primary resistance. All the information I can find (which I cannot find on the Pertronix website) is that the secondary resistance is to be 10,000 ohm. My coil tests out at 8,190 ohms. Is that good enough or is the coil bad. I have seen posts mentioning
    a range of acceptable readings for coils but cannot find anything on these Flame Thrower coils.
    I did have a Pertronix distributor in the car with this coil. I had problems as it would run but when
    shut off would not start for quite a while.

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It is what it is, but what was it?

By that I mean ignition coils can work OK when cold though fail when they get hot. Or, say just a few turns in the secondary made up of (miles?) of very fine magnet wire get shorted.

In this instance the coil will ohm out OK, or close, but it won't work quite right. The spark will be strong, though the duration will be will be shortened. The old MoToRs Repair manual talked about this in the Tune Up section. Most people don't have high frequency coil testers or ignition scopes. Ohming the coil out will tell you whether a coil should work, but that's about it.

3. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

To get a true answer you should call Pertronix in Cal ask the tech guy problem solved

Blue One, firstinsteele and jimmy six like this.
  4. I passed them up when I was distributor shopping a few years back. You think it would be easy to match up a coil and distributor. Not according to their site at the time. I figured it should be simple enough, this coil goes with this distributor...

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The truth is they sell Made in China ignition coils.

Good Luck.

LOL

6. blackbeard40

blackbeard40
    from Maryland

Contact GMC Bubba on the H.A.M.B. He sells correct coils made in the USA. I had Pertronix I sent him with a flathead distributor conversion. He assessed and advised I get a correct coil proper ohms that would work. I bought one of his and no problems for the last two years

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Maybe Jim has found a new supplier recently, but the last thing I heard from him maybe a year ago, there aren't any USA made ignition coils.

He suggested a blue Bosch coil as about the best available. However, this won't work for an application that needs a low 0.6 ohm primary winding. Maybe they make one, I haven't checked, but the classic blue Bosch coil is 3 ohms.

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Watching with interest as I need a low ohm coil too.

I looked around about a year ago and found only the pertronix. Everything else was 1.5 or higher.....

9. 5brown1

5brown1

I called and the tech said it was good. I believe he said it was a 9000 ohm coil. Some sellers listed it at 10,000 ohms
    while others had it at 9000.

10. I run the flamethrower11 with the billet dist from petronix It works real good . I find the coils go bad every 2/3 years where I live is wet area , the case seems to break down. If I open the hood at night I can see it arcing all over .

11. Budget36

Budget36

So with the .6 ohm coil, don't you run a ballast resistor? Or the 1.5 ohm coil?

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No, that's partly why Pertronix gets a bad name I think, is mixing and matching ignition coils. For higher output the later Ignitors use low ohm coils. No ballast, at least not in RUN. If a low ohm coil is paired with the standard Ignitor it will get torched. If the later modules are paired with the wrong coil it will stumble and misfire &c. Don't have to use a Pertronix coil, but the primary winding and circuit has to have the correct amount of resistance.

Budget36 likes this.