Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hudson Hornet front bearing hubs substitutes?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by TonyOfAllTrades, Nov 13, 2019.

1. TonyOfAllTrades

TonyOfAllTrades

Just adopted a '52 Hornet but can't get it home as the front brake drums and hubs have been missing for decades. Does anyone know of a wheel hub off anything that will work to just get her up on a trailer? If it needs modification I do have a 20x40 lathe, but a straight up quick temporary substitute would be best. Have a huge junkyard near so finding the needed one should be no prob.

2. Don't know,but I think I would figure out what inner/outer bearing sets the Hornet used then see if any other 40"s/ 50"s cars used the same.You can always space the bearings out a bit if needed.If your only getting it on the trailer close would work.

TonyOfAllTrades and Hnstray like this.
  3. Looks like the inner bearing is 15123 BCA, and the outer 09067 BCA.They look like familiar numbers so I bet something else shares them.A good parts store would have a buyers guide showing what they fit.

TonyOfAllTrades likes this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you have a large salvage yard near, measure the inner diameter and lenth( distance) of the bearings and compare to the exposed spindles in the junkyard..... grab a pair of hubs off a similar or slightly larger car.

Bones

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Just a thought....If you just need to get it on and off a trailer, make up some hubs from wood and bolt some wheels to them, or wood hubs and plywood wheels. No bearings required.

6. oldsman41

oldsman41

Possibly kaiser, can’t remember the numbers on the Henry j. You could cross reference them if you find a good parts guy like Irish said.

7. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

You could make a set a skates for it.

8. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

73-87 c10 chevrolet has same inner bearing diameter, not sure for the outer but those are easily finded.

irishsteve likes this.
  9. Mart

Mart

The bearings wouldn't actually need to fit. As long as they went over the spindle, a bit of clearance wouldn't hurt.

squirrel and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Might check out your trailer supply store, they have several different size hubs, with no brake drums to worry about and various bolt patterns to possible fit some wheels you already have!

Bones

11. TonyOfAllTrades

TonyOfAllTrades

Sorry for not getting back here faster, been helping a friend sowing wheat. Some AWSOME info here from all of you! The wood wheel on spindle intrigues me for quick n dirty. In a day or 2 we should be done with wheat then I can dig in the bearing books at local store for those above mentioned bearings and measure the spindle more accurately for needed width spacing. . If I find a rotor n hub that will work I WILL update this. I plan on a disk conv anyways... The conv kit I found used the original Hudson hub and a Lincoln disk over it wit a Chevy caliper...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  12. squirrel

squirrel

find an old GM rotor from the 70s or 80s, cut the rotor off the hub or remove the backing plate, and stick it on there...the outer bearing will be loose on the spindle, but that won't matter for rolling it on and off a trailer.

13. Mart

Mart

If it helps at all the inner bearing bore is 1.25". The outer bearing bore is .75".

I got this from looking at the 52 Hornet bearings on Rockauto.com.

Just out of interest I looked at a 50s ford hub and the bearing diameters are the same. Car, not f100.

14. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal