Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chopped Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Jan 15, 2016.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

Did you do the chop on it?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Been getting a few mundane tasks done. Nothing too major but a couple of pics. Pulled the glass. Got all the dash stripped of gauges and switches. The floors are in real good shape so far. I need to get some aircraft stripper. I don't know how many coats of green paint are on this car. It gums everything up. I knocked off what I could and will do some stripper on it this weekend. A little time with a wire brush and it should clean up. Will get the rockers in soon.

IMG_7135.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7141.JPG

IMG_7144.JPG

IMG_7145.JPG

3. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's progress in my book.

RMONTY likes this.
  4. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

drdave any chance you have a front and rear view...

5. That's all I have. It was a drawing from a magazine article, but it's basically the Rod and Custom Dream truck in panel form, so you could look at the front and rear of that and go from there. Would be a cool build.

brEad likes this.
  6. RMONTY

RMONTY

Little update. Plasma cutter showed up today. Was supposed to be a pilot arc but it wasn't. I tried it out anyway before I send it back. For a cheapie it surprised me. Cut through 1/2" plate with no bitching. I wanted the pilot arc so back it goes. The specs on Amazon showed it as a pilot arc but it isnt. Tig machine should be here Friday. 20190130_193318.jpg 20190130_193119.jpg

brEad and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. goldenidolcustoms

goldenidolcustoms
    from Pa.

I would be interested in doing this build for someone.If you have the money I'll make the time

drdave and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  8. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

9. Sure would be cool to see it come to life. Won't be mine, though....too many projects already in the hopper. ;)

10. RMONTY

RMONTY

Gathering parts and tools....some new sheet metal stuff and a TIG welder...the shop addition is moving along slowly due to the weather but making a bit of progress in several directions. Ive been sanding the dash down and ordered up some Gibbs to keep things from rusting until I can get some primer on.

IMG_7149.JPG

IMG_7150.JPG

IMG_7151.JPG

11. ems customer service

ems customer service

thnaks for buying from ems

the ems guy

12. RMONTY

RMONTY

I'll be buying some more in the future. Pretty happy with the quality of the panels. Granted they aren't installed yet but just laying them up and eyeballing them, they will do the job well. Thank you for the great customer service as well!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. RMONTY

RMONTY

Headed off to @Pinstriper40 's class at the end of September to pick up some tips and skills for moving forward on this project. Shop addition is all but done, and am getting ready to make another push forward with getting this project complete and on the road.

14. verde742

verde742

Following along,,,
    May I suggest? for a rear window, a 66-67 Volkswagon convertible rear window..

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hmmm....That is pretty interesting. I will look into that. Thanks for the suggestion! You wouldnt happen to have the dimensions of that laying around would you?

16. Being it's convertible and the glass folds with the top they are generally tempered glass, not laminated and can't be cut to fit. I believe it may have to much crown in the arc side to side but I would at least check to make sure.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. RMONTY

RMONTY

Looking at some photos online you may be right PNB. It looks too big not to have to be cut down. It's definitely something to look into though. I am probably going to take it to Deep Ellum Glass when it gets time for glass and have them look it over. They seem pretty confident they can come up with something. I talked to them at the Decatur Swap Meet a couple of years ago and liked what I heard from them.

Bowtie Coupe and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  18. Something I have heard over the years regarding rear window glass. Several glass co's made replacement rear windows in laminate instead of tempered. They can be cut. I have never needed to cut a rear so not verified that. A good glass shop should know.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  19. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Very interesting thread, I just found it. Very good work! Thanks for sharing your excellent progress. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching...

RMONTY likes this.
  20. RMONTY

RMONTY

I've been skinning out the 4 Door getting ready to transplant the Sedan Delivery body onto the 4 Door floor pan. Almost have the firewall and dash ready for epoxy primer. I've also been cutting up the 2 Door donor for small things like the front cowl mounts that need replaced. No pics of the 2 door donor tonight. Its cold outside in North Texas and its outside the shop at the moment. 20191112_191011.jpg 20191112_191021.jpg 20191112_191043.jpg 20191112_191058.jpg

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good to see progress, looking forward to seeing the sedan delivery body on the good floor pan. Bob

Outback and RMONTY like this.
  22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That frame looks clean...

RMONTY likes this.
  23. RMONTY

RMONTY

It's been cleaned, small rust repairs done, POR15'ed and will get a chassis black top coat before the body is put on for the last time.

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

Pulled the front clip off the donor 2 door in 1 piece. I'll fit this to the cowl to help with the rocker and long door alignment/fitment. I'm sort of working front to rear, and from the rockers up. I have to give credit to Cold War Motors for the Fury Splice YouTube series and @IronTrap and his latest floor pan replacement for motivation on the way forward. Thanks to both, I think I've got a pretty solid plan now after seeing what these guys have done. 20191110_143006.jpg 20191110_143021.jpg

Attached Files:

25. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is good to see you continue the work that must be done in order to see your vision of the sedan delivery come true. Keep up the good work. And congratulations for having the fortitude to fulfilling the dream.

26. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

27. Looking good!! Going to be exciting to see the delivery on that frame.

28. Making some big steps forward for sure. Who would have thought it would be this involved? Remember the day when you said "Honey look what I bought"?

29. RMONTY

RMONTY

There wasn't a "honey" to say "look what I bought", and that may be a good thing considering the shape of it and what it was. I was pretty clueless when I bought the damn thing but I have grown to love it, and have to see it through. What a hunk of junk, but it is going to be cool I think. What amazes me is how I acquired 2 other cars in the process without even batting an eye....it just happened!

30. RMONTY

RMONTY

Cutting and trimming and looking and measuring and looking again....a little metal comes off every evening...the top is coming off this pig this weekend if all goes as planned. More-door haters gotta be loving this! 20191113_194944.jpg 20191113_195000.jpg

brEad, Bowtie Coupe, drdave and 4 others like this.