Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's Era Street/Strip Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Aug 1, 2019.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

Super familiar with the Goldchainer!

1947knuck, Stogy, enloe and 2 others like this.
  2. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Such a cool build! Can't wait to see it come together

enloe, loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  3. You're doing an awesome job on the chassis!:cool:
    I like picking a period correct hot rod paint color from the new car color pallet of that era.

From the 1968-69 Camaro options; how about Island Blue, Olympic Gold, or Grecian Green (kinda close to the Luzader '32 5w gasser) ?
    1968chevrolet.jpg camaro island blue poly.jpg 1969-Camaro olympic gold.jpg camaro grecian green poly.jpg images.jpg Luzader-Opener.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  4. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

watching with interest as to what your doing with the frame around the F1 box. I planned on using a 4 bolt flange like the one you got from Neil and was going to box around the steering box but i like the way you have shaped the boxing plates around the box.

Stogy, loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  5. -Brent-

-Brent-

@weemark, hopefully we're back on it this week.

I don't know when that area will be finished but I'll be sure to tag you when it gets to that point.

Thanks a bunch!

Brent

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

Not much to add. We're going to get started back on the chassis, next week.

I had some parts that I've needed to ship and a couple others I wanted to prep before I sent them all out to Ryan.

Rather than have Ryan waste time stripping the Speedway steering hoop so we can gusset it, I grabbed some muriatic acid and a little container.

I poured a bit of acid in and in a few seconds the hoop was raw. I neutralized it and rubbed it down with some lube. All in all, it took 5 minutes.

Speedway Steering Hoop.jpg

Speedway Steering Hoop Prep For Zinc Removal.jpg Stripped Steering Hoop.jpg Raw Steering Hoop.jpg

It'll look good with a gusset and some chrome.

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Cross members are in.

IMG_7174.jpg

The straight, rearward crossmember, which the driveshaft loop will be mounted to, ended up getting mounted through the boxing plate and welded to both sides.

IMG_7176.jpg

Also, the fabrication on the hairpins has begun.

IMG_7175.jpg

8. When you finish this car, you need to build another one. I am enjoying this build...

just Mike, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I second that and me too.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Happy Halloween, folks! Before taking the kids out for trick-or-treating, I saw that Ryan posted a couple pics of the chassis with some work done. I may not have been as excited as my kids as we headed out the door with empty pillow cases but... I was a close second.

As I was walking the sidewalks behind my children who scrambled from house to house, Ryan sent me a text telling me pics were in the email and that only amplified my excitement. I didn't mind the wait, it was a brisk, clear night and the kids' were having a blast. As it got darker, the parents in the group head back inside at our friend's and I continued on with all the kids... eventually, the whole group switched from saying "Trick or Treat" to "We love you!" to every door that opened. Pay attention to what I say, next, this was an ingenious move. I think every house after that doubled or tripled the candy they handed to each child in the group.

Someone also thought it would be nice to say, "thank you" in Chinese, Spanish, and English. They had these people looking like a puppy hearing a whistle, with their tilted heads.

It was an absolute pleasure watching them all and reflecting on the absolute hell we caused as kids.

When we finally made it inside, the kids sat on the floor to conduct the business of trading and I got a moment to check out the work.

Since that's what we're all here for, I'll let the pics do most of the talking.

@Von Hartmann Model A Competition Chassis:

Model A Comp Chassis.JPG

After welding the indented boxing plate area at the steering box location the frame got "wonky" even fastened to the frame table. It took a good deal of work getting the frame square and straight.

Model A Comp Chassis 2.JPG

At the boxing plate indentation we both wanted to reinforce the frame to compensate for the lack of boxing in that area. My idea was a little different. I like what Ryan came up with.
    Model A Comp Chassis 3.JPG
    The crossmember at the tail of the trans is just tacked. It may need to be moved once the engine and trans are mocked in.

Model A Comp Chassis 4.JPG
    The tab/mount for the hairpin.

Model A Comp Chassis 5.JPG
    Finished welding the crossmember in... and braced/capped. That was a nice touch. I hadn't expected that.

Model A Comp Chassis 6.JPG Model A Comp Chassis 7.JPG Model A Comp Chassis 8.JPG
    Front crossmember welded in on the top side.

Model A Comp Chassis 9.JPG
    Here she is... ready for some suspension.

Model A Comp Chassis 10.JPG

11. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brent,

Your welds are superb! Very nicely done!

Steve

Hotdoggin DaddyO, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

These welds are @Von Hartmann . He's doing the chassis fab and roller set-up.

31chevymike, 1947knuck, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

Why do you leave the mechanical brake hanger tabs on the frame? (the small ones between the body and hood tabs)

Stogy likes this.
  14. -Brent-

-Brent-

I forgot about them, actually. When I was stripping the frame down I was only focused on the stuff I wanted/needed to remove.

1947knuck, Tooth, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brent,

I stand corrected!;) @Von Hartmann's welds are superb! Beautiful work!

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

From Colorado Farm Field to Competition Chassis:

Thinking about how long I've been dreaming about this (and putting it off) and all the times I nearly just sold it off because I was putting no effort into the project. Then, as I dedicated myself to getting it done - some way, some how, I've inched closer.

A year and a half ago:

2018-04-01 14.50.16.jpg

Last winter:

Tearing The Chassis Down.jpg

Back outside to wait some more... honestly, like a dozen other frames I've bought and sold.

Sitting for One More Winter.jpg

This summer:

20190709_095935.jpg

Back From Blasting.jpg

Last week:

Model A Comp Chassis.JPG

I'm glad I didn't give up... but not nearly as glad as I'll be when I'm driving the thing.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Teaser shot.

A perfect set of 32 wishbone ends are about to become bat wings.

32 Wishbone End.jpg

18. Just found your thread. I really like the vision you have for your car. Glad your life changes have bought you more time, too. I’m in for the rest of the ride.

19. Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. -Brent-

-Brent-

brEad, thanks, me too!

Having a wake-up call and imagining the absolute horrible cost of not making changes may be the best thing that's ever happened in my life.

I'm looking forward to this car coming out the way I have it pictured. I've had great help.

Thanks! Whenever there's progress, I'll be sure to post.

1947knuck, Stogy, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  21. pitman

pitman

Jus checking in, going to be a gem!
    Lonestar calling...

Stogy, loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  22. Dave Lee

Dave Lee

I LIKE IT!!!

-Brent- and loudbang like this.
  23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, Pitman!

I don't imagine going to too many shows with the car. Really, I'm just looking forward to thrashing around with it. She'll have some rough, unrefined areas, along with some chrome that'll probably be too nice for the car, as well as some magnesium and lots of vintage parts but, really, I don't want to go overboard (what I consider overboard, anyway) and build a car that's parked on grass on many of it's outings.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  24. This ^^^ is just the kind of car I love to find at car shows!

31chevymike, Stogy, brianf31 and 7 others like this.
  25. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

THAT sounds like a REAL hot rod.

Tooth, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. -Brent-

-Brent-

I was going through some pics to find a couple images for that "Pics or It Didn't Happen" post and I came across to pics I had saved for inspiration but until today, I thought I lost

This Model A.

Blue Coupe Huge Inspiration.jpg

This shoebox. If my coupe has the same effect on me when I see it out in a parking lot, I'll have accomplished my goal. Damn.

Chevy-Bel-Air-gasser-Six-Flags.jpg

27. That '55 is neat AF....

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

The hairpin batwings are coming along.

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Bat Wings Continued:

A nice, clean set of bones I've been saving for years.

Split 32 bones.JPG

Chopped up... Several guys have given me grief just for the suggestion of splitting these bones (never mind donating them for bat wings) but my frame of mind is if it was fair play in the era I'm shooting for, you can be sure it's fair game, now.

32 Bones Chopped.JPG

As you can tell above, these were laid out in paper and flame cut.

Hartman Bat Wings Rough In.JPG

Here are @Von Hartmann 's words from Instagram:

"Made some batwings for ReinventBrent‘s coupe project. He provided an original Henry Ford split wishbone as the donor for this project. The forgings were cut off, cleaned up, shaped, then slotted for the 3/8” batwing flange. Since I don’t have a state of the art CNC blah blah cutter machine, the paper pattern was transferred onto the plate and gas axed freehand with an acetylene torch and dressed with a grinder and files. Next step is to make hairpins and then final weld after an honest trial fit"

Hartman Bat Wings.JPG

30. -Brent-

-Brent-

32 Heavy Repair:

There was some wear hidden by body filler but Ryan took care of that.

She's pretty, now.

32 Heavy.jpg

Hidden Wear on 32 Heavy.jpg

Repairing 32 heavy.jpg
    32 heavy Repaired PS.jpg
    32 Heavy Repaired DS.jpg