Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oil change and winter storage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moon50F3, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

One of the fellas posted the other day that he changed the oil and was fixing to put his car away for winter. So it got me thinking about what I do, which is change oil in the spring, after the winter slumber. I smelled some gas in the oil a few years ago after the spring start up, and wondered if it happened when i did that first start, or somehow drained out of the carb from sitting for a few months. Anyways, I changed the oil, and have just kept doing it in the spring. I wonder what some of you guys do, and maybe your reasoning behind it.

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I too have changed oil in the spring. Why? Because in the winter I don’t use the vehicle much more than giving it periodic starts and in garage runs up to temp. I am concerned that after sitting for a while the oil will get gas on it and think it will be better if it’s fresh when the season begins anew in spring. Maybe I have it backwards and happy to hear reasons I should change my thinking.

Moon50F3 likes this.
  3. 500caddy

500caddy

Was told to change oil in the fall as used oil is corrosive when left sitting all winter

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Oil gets contaminated with use and can accumulate acid and water among other things. Change oil last thing in the fall and your bearings, cams, lifters etc won't be soaking in nasty dirty oil all winter.

5. chriscarp1950

chriscarp1950

Im changing mine this weekend!

Moon50F3 likes this.
  6. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

X2 I. I change oil in hot rod, lawn mowers and anything else I put away for the winter

Moon50F3 likes this.
  7. Living in Virginia, I'm blessed that I don't have to store the Rods for the winter. But when the weather gets bad. I still start them up weekly. Also the mowers, snow blowers, etc. The best thing for a gas engine is to run it. A battery maintainer is a must too. Just works for me. Oil changes when needed.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Moon50F3 likes this.
  8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I change in the spring before I ever start it. My reasoning is that condensation forms inside during the warming/cooling cycles my cars see in the spring and I dont want that in the oil.

Moon50F3 likes this.
  9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

To those that start an engine and let it warm, then shut it down...DON'T..!

Not if you want the moisture to be cooked out of the oil from the last start. Moisture builds for short starts and stops. If you run the engine to 200° then shut it off, that's creating a lot of moisture as it cools. This moisture ruins the oil, in the manor of contamination. This contamination forms acids. These acids can harm the bearings, help starve wrist pins of oil (they only get splash in most engines).
    If you start it, take it out and put 10 miles on it. Burn all the crap out.
    You want proof, rusted mild steel exhaust systems..."unburnt moisture".

Mike

Moon50F3, Truck64 and 57 Fargo like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The engine won't warm up (oil temperature) unless under load, even if the coolant does. This is why "start every two weeks" and idle never made any sense to me. Also oil contamination with fuel. It may do more harm than good, and doesn't do the battery any good either.

Moon50F3 and Frankie47 like this.