Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Surf Racks on my ‘29 Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ghalperin, Nov 6, 2019.

1. ghalperin

ghalperin

I decided to give my roadster some beach duty. I fabbed up a pair of light duty racks with 1x1/2 rectangle tubing. Held on with hose clamps to the rumble handles and using an existing wing window hole in the windshield stanctions.
    14A42198-0FC0-4F43-8D3D-B3F8B5561B4B.jpeg
    Since they worked fine, I wrapped them in 1/4 cotton cord to give them a period look. They’ll look better when they get dirty and stained with wax.
    D747F061-E81F-464D-B69C-A8FD07F1B5BD.jpeg

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't say as I have seen that before but looks cool as hell!

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

look forward to pic of you "Hanging 10" 20191106_141338.jpg

scotti32, LOU WELLS, pitman and 3 others like this.
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's cool as hell...and dead simple!

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

Is that Santa in front of your car taking a little R&R before the busy season? Looks like he lost a few pounds.

Lynn

dwollam likes this.
  6. ghalperin

ghalperin

He's been exercising and chasing tail.

7. brady1929

brady1929

Love your roadster.

8. edfueler

edfueler

9. bangerbob

bangerbob

I like your design better than mine. Willlook at it over the winter. tapatalk_jpeg_1550177667900.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J337P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  10. ^^^With a rumble seat, you can have mounting points inside the body for the rear, then the front can be mounted just as the OP did his! Easy-peasy!!

11. bangerbob

bangerbob

I like the rear mount on the grab handles, then i can keep the rumble shut

Sent from my SM-J337P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. ghalperin

ghalperin

I was on the fence for drilling holes in the rear mount and using bolts through the rumble handle holes, but decided on the hose clamps for ease of install and removal. I’ve also had people in the rumble seat with the rack installed, it doubles as an o-shit bar for the rumble seat passengers.

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey G,

Nice design and execution. It looks well-built and on your roadster, purposeful. If you really like the white cord, just leave it in the middle area of both top cross bars. That gives your board some cushion, but the wax, if you use it, will discolor the cord so fast, let alone the swirling, coastal weather. Then, your cool looking roadster will look dirty and not so nice as it was originally. A small area in the middle of the both cross bars would look much better than all of the piping surfaces and then it is a small area to keep clean.

If you use something like a full Astrodeck Surface on your surfboards, then those small white ropes in the middle of the bars will stay relatively clean without a waxy residue. The down tube/supports wrapped in white, is just asking for people to come by and touch them, creating instant dirt or mustard from beach side hot dogs. It was a nice idea, but it will cause you extra work and a lot of bother. The situation will make your cool hot rod roadster look dirty and unkempt.

Jnaki

White cord was a period look, but it was used for surfboard tie downs, a lot. They were available at most grocery stores and hardware stores for any emergencies. We did use the white cord as it looked a lot nicer than regular hemp/sisal style of ropes to tie down any surfboards. Even with surfboards wrapped with towels, if the white cord was used as tie downs, the rope got dirty so fast, we might as well be using grey/brown rope anyway. At least the hemp/sisal ropes did not show how dirty it could get or was dirty. The dirty white ropes will not make your hot rod roadster look good.

Something to think about for your cool roadster to make your surf trips simple and concentrate on the waves. Also, not having to always clean those white ropes after every session or cruise. Your design deserves simplicity and style. Think again about the problems with the white ropes.

Note: My wife said that anything white takes much more work to clean and keep clean at any time. White furniture? Levis do a number on the material, causing more washing than normal. Just simple hands on the arm rests will make the white look dirty very quickly, too. (and those mentioned are inside of the house!)

LOU WELLS likes this.
  14. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Are those "rumble handles" or a place for the folding top to sit?

15. ghalperin

ghalperin

Handles for passengers.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  16. ghalperin

ghalperin

Thanks for the input, but I’m planning on the ropes getting dirty and stained. New and clean is not the look that I’m after. I want them to show age and use.

17. I've heard it argued both ways.

18. pitman

pitman

19. bangerbob

bangerbob

20. ghalperin

ghalperin

Henry also put rumble grab handles on coupes with rumble seats.
    39816EA1-3884-493F-B5AA-C53C9AA96E33.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  21. cederholm

cederholm

22. Reminds me of Kiwi Kev's Model A
    scan0055-2.jpg

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a guy that made every Lodi, Ca. rod run in the '70s. His name was Daryl, a big blond surfer type...Had a shortened '29 roadster pickup, grey, 4 foot bed, no fenders, SBC, P/G trans. Had a surfboard on top of a small rack, but would enter the Gymkhana with the 'board atop, and win it hands down, every year!
    After the run, he'd pack up to go North, camping/fishing.
    Said in 8 years never had a mechanical problem with modified R/Pu!

24. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

-
    Model A experts insist that they were originally intended for the top assembly to rest on. This is also somewhat substantiated by the fact that ALL Roadsters were equipped with them, whether they were equipped with a rumble seat OR A TRUNK. Also they were NEVER factory installed on Coupes - any you've seen on Coupes were put there by someone other than Henry!!

25. I remember that guy. I made most or all of the Lodi runs back then. Lodi was such a cool town back then. I really liked all the motels along the main drag. We stayed at one of them each year.