Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do You Drag Race Your Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Nov 5, 2019.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Back in ‘68-69 I raced my ‘33 5w with a 396 and 4 spd at Lions on Wednesday nights and occasionally on Saturdays but I broke it almost every time out. My dad would come tow me home each time, with a chain. I didn’t race OCIR or Irwindale ‘cause my Dad wouldn’t come get me if it broke.
    Later I ran my 327 powered MGB in brackets at Lions but I was terrible on the lights.
    I’ve been wanting to update/redo my old Austin gasser so I could make some passes with it but other projects keep getting in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lumpy 63, rod1 and loudbang like this.
  2. raven

raven

[​IMG]

Why yes, yes I do...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

MO_JUNK, Roadsir, HunterYJ and 5 others like this.
  3. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Your little roadster hauls ass....don't ask me how I know.

loudbang likes this.
  4. raven

raven

How do you know?
    Did I pass you on the highway?
    There was that one time coming back from the Hamb drags....
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Yes ! Of course... Åmsele.jpg

Roadsir, rod1, Speedys Garage and 4 others like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I drag raced before I was 16! (older mentors 'pushed me ahead'...LOL)
    I raced every car I had, purpose-built or not. My Mom's '56 T-Bird shattered a 312 T-86 gearbox one Sunday at Fremont (later 'Baylands') Had to remove engine to get tranny out! Mom was mad!!!!
    Many years (and cars) later, we built a '29 Roadster pickup, altered wheelbase, LS6 468" BBC, Muncie, narrow 9", legal 'A' Street Rdstr. Ran it 'til I jumped the bracket...the guys said "Run the F100!"
    I declined, "hell it's a support vehicle!" They insisted, so I ran it thru...Street tires, mufflers, cast iron manifolds...SBC, 350 T.H.
    "What??? 13.20 at 112???" Streamlined as a barn, handicapped with SBC, and needed a tune up...
    Damn near hooked me back into drag racing! LOL

My 'new' '54 Ford coupe has: narrow 9" truck rear; 406 F-E mill; close ratio 3 speed top loader with Jeep tower/floor shifter; '33 Plymouth 'wiggly tube axle'; '52 F1 front leaf springs. Eagle Field is 20 minutes out my back door... I ain't quit yet...

7. no55mad

no55mad

Streetable, mid 10's, 400sbc HellRsrSacDrg2_12_02.jpg

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My 2 hot rods are a '31"A" Ford Hiboy fenderless roadster and a '40 Ford coupe. The '40 is a quiet and comfortable cruiser, mild SBF, T5, PS, AC, etc. A car that is something an 82 year old can comfortably cruise for goodly distances:cool:, but not suitable for drag racing:)
    The roadster however weighs only 2200#, has a 355 SBC that while streetable, is really more at home on the stripo_O has a toploader Ford 4 speed, McLeod safety bell housing, flywheel, and clutch. Rear is a 9" Ford with locker and 3.70 gears. That rear gear does allow me to run the eighth and cross the line in 3rd gear and still be within reason on the street with about 3100 rpm @ 70mph. The little car is a blast to drive around town and short runs on the road, but my old ass is worn slap out when I drive it 75-80 miles and back the same day:eek:
    I do race it once in awhile in nostalgia races, bu only in the 1/8. With no roll bars, and only a lap belt track operators get a little concerned if I get too fast:eek:, and to be honest so do I:) NHRA (no hot rods allowed) just plain won't let me run if it's an event they sanction. I have a best time of 7.62@92mph in 1/8, but most are slower because I an't quite as quick reacting or as consistent as I was at a younger age:oops:
    So a drag racer I ain't, but dammit it's still a good feeling to have that roadster spin off the line, push me back in the seat, hear that mill scream, and feel the clutch bite when I catch the next gear, all without looking around and in the mirror for a cop:cool:

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, I hadn't seen that shot before, cool scoop !

loudbang and lumpy 63 like this.
  10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CE3B54E7-E6B4-4DC5-94AA-1E699FDC268A.jpeg This little car has more than 25 thousand miles just driving to and from the drag races.

-Abone.

pmdguy, MO_JUNK, 54BOMB and 3 others like this.
  11. Oh boy! I loved drag racing! When I ran, I was single, making $10 an hour and somehow always had some folding money to walk around with. Somehow with a family and working 10 hours a day fixing trucks, I don’t have time, currently. Notice the currently. I looked into Junior Dragsters, but a competitive car costs more than my entire operation did in the late nineties. My nine year old son doesn’t realize it yet, but I’ve planted seeds in him and they are germinating nicely. I just have to fertilize them with some Chevrolet. He will be a much better driver than I ever was and something very cool about having the only car at the High School with a cage and harnesses.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Stock Racer and loudbang like this.
  12. When I got this 40 I decided to have fun with the car at the track. It's been a blast, win, lose, or breaks. For me it's really more about my personal best's, better lights, better shifts, better 60 fts. Best is a 12:60 and I run 2-4 times a year.
    40 coupe Rodders Journal 2019.jpg

pmdguy, 51box, '40 Coupe Fan and 7 others like this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I used to but maintaining crowd control proved to be a problem.

corvette4.JPG

14. das858

das858

All 3 of my hot rods have been down the strip , the wagon only as a chase car though! 20190706_091003.jpg IMG_2130_12fc_0-1.jpeg

pmdguy, Countn'Carbs and loudbang like this.
  15. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

My brother "Mo Junk" and I try to drag race each other every year. Just for fun. It is a tradition, We having been racing each other with everything we have owned for over 60 years. We have raced toy cars, wagons, bikes, coaster cars,......anything we had with wheels we raced.

Montana1, jnaki, raven and 1 other person like this.
  16. I race mine any chance I get. For me the drag and drive events like drag week interest me the most. 20191006_173327.jpg

pmdguy and Countn'Carbs like this.
  17. No. Too many old original 60s parts to break - Hydro tranny, 354 hemi, '56 Olds rear, stock front suspension, steel body, etc. Just enjoy it as a cartoon of a gasser.

@ CHRR.jpeg 2018-nsra-western-street-nationals-bakersfield-april-27th-30th-2018-04-01_23-01-14_499110.jpg March_Meet_sunday_tim_166.jpg

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My cars will never make the cover of a major magazine...

...but put a battery in any of them and fill them up with gas and they're ready to race - or drive cross country.
    MYWILLYS.jpg tdr25.jpg anglia0703_3.jpg truckster04.jpg

Blues4U and racer-x like this.
  19. brandon

brandon

used to run it weekly... double entered in 1/4 and no box 1/8. ended up going 11.90's , which wasn't too bad for a daily. 2.79's and a dish piston 350 with a 420/440 lift cam. had intentions of adding a cage and more motor but decided to build something else. had a lot of fun with the car, heck even won a couple grand with it bracket racing..lol
    green 2 go.jpg

51box likes this.
  20. brandon

brandon

Currently building another model a to drive in and race. Big tire / small tire setup but with a full cage IMG_20191011_160023669.jpg

racer-x likes this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-12_4-13-10.png
    Hello,
    We both got started at the same time, despite the fact that my brother is two years+ older than me. What he did or liked usually was passed down to me. Plus, I liked tagging along on some teenage stuff. Being younger always has drawbacks, but if one could endure the ribbing, it was a neat thing to be involved as we were pretending to be teenagers. My friends without older brothers envied me for having such a nice brother. Although, sometimes it did not seem like he was the “angel” brother.

Impala TOTAL

I learned from an early age that teenagers can and do race their street cars. It was never shown to me where, but it was not in residential streets nearby. I am sure it was mostly at the empty, Terminal Island Freeway, as it was within a few blocks away. Being in my brother’s 51 Olds Sedan and then his friend’s 1934 5 window Ford Coupe gave me the first feel of drag racing. My brother had not taken me to Lions Dragstrip as yet. upload_2020-2-12_4-7-52.png
    When it was my turn before/after getting my driver’s license, it was the power of the cars that got that feeling started. Acceleration just gave me the thrill that we all needed more and more.
    upload_2020-2-12_4-8-37.png
    Jnaki

So, yes, driving any of the cars in our family started the drag race scene. Then, it was organized drag racing at the Lions Dragstrip and finally, the teenage battles on the Cherry Avenue Drags location in Bixby Knolls. I had a car that was right in the middle of things…drag racing in So Cal. These are some things one just craves while growing up.

The odd thing is, we haven’t drag raced on the streets since those 1965 and earlier days. Then one day while driving my wife’s sporty 2 door coupe, a bunch of teenagers pulled up next to us and made the “go next” sign. My wife asked what that sign meant. I told her to hang on and we would be done in a minute. At the green light, I was into the intersection going for 2nd and across the intersection with the view of the teenagers in the mirror. Before 3rd gear, it was time to step on the brakes.

Now, they were mad and “revved” up their motor. At the next light, it was the same story and we were off and running with brakes lights telling them they lost. They turned quickly at the next light and took off. My wife said that it was an exciting two minutes of power and fast shifting. Drag racing experience never dies… The quick starts and fast speed shifts were pretty good if I do say so myself.

Acceleration on empty streets will do it for now. But, must watch out for the B/Ws patrolling the area streets. At this stage, I do not want a moving violation. No showman antics, just sheer power on acceleration on those long empty streets. Memories last forever.

pmdguy and dirty old man like this.
  22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

My last car, 1939 Ford coupe, 400 Pontiac and TH400, I raced twice. I belonged to an association that ran nostalgia drags 2 years at the strip at Kearney. It was fun, my current car just wouldn’t be right racing it

23. pnevells

pnevells

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm usually draggin ass when I get to work on it. Does that count?

25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My '31 Hiboy SBC powered roadster gets run a couple of events a year when we have nostalgia racing.
    Has to be when we aren't under the direct supervision of the No Hot Rods Allowed people as I don't have roll bar or arm restraints. I do however only run the eighth mile with it as a quarter in my car gets in excess of 120 mph, and I ain't comfortable with that using only a lap belt and a helmet!
    My '40 Ford coupe is set up more as a cruiser and T5 transmissions have a delicate reputation. I don't "baby" it, but no drag racing in it either.

26. imagesJTN83Y09.jpg
    Yep!

brandon and pmdguy like this.
  27. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to race my 34 Plymouth from time to time . ..best ET was 12.41 in the 1/4 , the 3.36 rearend didn´t help, but it was fun anyways.
    Bild 015.jpg hotr_hi12_0216.jpg 528191_445447405548138_41804469_n.jpg

dirty old man likes this.
  28. pmdguy

pmdguy

I like most any kind of an "old car" event. But I will chose drag racing over a car show every time! I race both of my cars! 20191102_110551.jpg

29. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

pmdguy likes this.