Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is there a National Hot Rod Day?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UNSHINED 2, Nov 11, 2019.

1. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

There seems to be a day for everything else.

Has anyone ever heard of a recognized National Hot Rod Day?

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Perhaps we need to start one.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you make it on a Monday please?

During summer

With scantily dressed women

and Bourban.

4. Every day is hot rod day!

5. The SEMA Action Network (SAN) has designated a Collector Car Appreciation Day (usually in July I think), but it's not specifically a Hot Rod Day so it seems that it would be incumbent upon us to create one.:D

6. Another vote for making one. We have days for lots of stupid stuff. Why not have a day for something cool?

7. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

You know, that's not a bad idea. What has to be done to get it started. Wait, what years does it include?

UNSHINED 2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Why stop at just a day!?...How about a HOT ROD month?!:D

9. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP! What Bandit Billy said

Max Gearhead and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  10. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every day's a Holiday in a Hot Rod. Spread the word.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  11. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Yes There Is And It Is On Wally Parks Birthday...(January 23 1913)... db_nuAK-051A(1).jpg

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

To be officially recognized you have to get Congress to pass a law. This is Not a joke...or maybe it is but thats how its done

13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going with Bandit Billy's suggestion, only thing I would add would be a round of golf!:D

Bandit Billy likes this.
  14. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Any one know the day and month this was held in 1950? ( Excerpt taken from DRIVELINE. ) That could be a good date possibly. Joe

1950: Now editor of HOT ROD Magazine, Parks discusses an alternative to the lakes racing that SoCal speedsters had enjoyed for decades, “controlled drag racing,” in the April 1950 issue. Shortly after, C.J. “Pappy” Hart (a Santa Ana, California-based gas station owner/mechanic) opens the first official organized drag racing event. Pappy used an auxiliary runway at Orange County Airport; it was both closer and cleaner than the dry lakes. He charged .50-cents admission to spectators and participants alike, and the Santa Ana drags quickly gained a following. It was here that several drag-racing fundamentals were established. Racers were split into classes that depended on a car’s year, make, engine displacement and more. A computerized clock measured top speed at the end of the quarter-mile (high-tech stuff for the 1950s) and determined a winner.

Sent from my SM-T580 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

UNSHINED 2 and LOU WELLS like this.
  15. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

Can it be moved to sometime from May to October? Sometime when it's warm enough for the whole nation to have favorable hot rod weather. It's 16 degrees here today with snow and ice on the ground and weather here won't be reliably warm until early May.

16. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

Every day is Hot Rod Day!

17. Let's keep the government away from this one!

QUOTE="manyolcars, post: 13321392, member: 191"]To be officially recognized you have to get Congress to pass a law. This is Not a joke...or maybe it is but thats how its done[/QUOTE]

18. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Great Idea! Sounds like a lot of support! Like many others, make it a day that’s warm enough to enjoy hanging out with the guys & not a winter day. Sorry Wally Parks wasn’t born in the summer, that’d be extra cool!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why didn't I think of that? Perfection! Free round of golf for Alliance members...and a couple drink tickets

Shutter Speed and GordonC like this.
  20. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

You mean it isn't the 25th Weekend of the year when all the Hot Rods gather in St. Paul...

[​IMG]

21. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Personally, I was kinda leaning towards the weekend after the 4th of July. Same weekend as Iola Swap Meet. Warm for everyone. Btt50's has already been claimed by Fathers Day. ;)

LOU WELLS and Max Gearhead like this.
  22. 1morecarIpromise! and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  23. Country Joe

Country Joe

I thought there was a day already. July 17.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Yes, every time I pull my car out of my garage.

hotrodharry2 and Shutter Speed like this.
  25. Anyone can register a National (fill in the blank) Day, all you have to do is submit the name of the day and pay the fees - it can range from $99.00 to $995.00 depending on how elaborate you want it to be. HRP

Register a National Day

Fees

Speed Gems likes this.
  26. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamb Day(s).

Make of it what you want. Local meets, regional meets. Wouldn't necessarily have to be on the same day everywhere (although that could be cool). Why tf not?

Chris

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  27. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

What would the general activity be? 'Seems it would be to drive your hot rod on that day and for the rods to be seen and enjoyed, whether on the way to an event or cruise, or just out enjoying it with or without a group. We would see a lot of other rodders out and wave or run into old friends or new friends. On the same Saturday as a major rodding event like St. Paul, as mentioned, or Des Moines seems like good timing. A time when we are out in our hot rods seeing and being seen. Maybe all local clubs and groups would schedule a cruise, lunch, dinner, reliability run, scenic tour... whatever... and call it "The National Hot Rod Day Cruise", "Reliability Run", "Scenic Tour", or what ever local groups want to call their event on that day, dedicated to "National Hot Rod Day". My wife and I were out Sunday in the family car enjoying southern Missouri discovering the deepest woods, steepest hills and twistiest roads, and saw a hot rod group out enjoying the same scenery. It was neat seeing rodders out enjoying it... hey, this gives me an idea...

1morecarIpromise! and LOU WELLS like this.
  28. Do we get it off from work?:) Wait I'm retired!:rolleyes:

29. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Not yet, but there will be. Once the enviro wackos ban the internal combustion engine we will have an official day in remembrance.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Well, here ya go, looks like July 9th, same weekend as Iola Swap!:):):):):):)

Only thing is: Doesn't have the same ring as National Hot Rod Day! ;)

1morecarIpromise! and LOU WELLS like this.