Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel cover/hubcaps restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by demon452, Nov 8, 2019.

1. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

So I have some Lyon covers and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on who can restore them at a reasonable cost?

Also what is a rough cost for restoring covers? Yes I am aware condition dictates everything. So probably a dumb ass question. Anyone on here do them and if so send me a pm and I can send some pics to get a rough estimate.

Thanks in advance

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Maybe try hubcaps dot calm … someone is doing the wheel covers they sell, and they might offer their service to the public. They are also a great reference when IDing something you find, but don't know what it is.

3. Dot calm,what a relaxing term.Sorry:):)

BigO likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

We have a chrome shop in my hometown and the guys there are very skilled at restoring beat up stainless, the cost is around $100 an hour I believe, a cap that's already pretty decent could probably be done in about an hour, a rougher one needing more straightening and polishing could easily take two or more, it really depends on the condition of the cap.

Also, dings and scratches that are accessible from the back side are fairly easy to repair, but dings and scratches along the very outer edge where the metal is doubled over for the gripper ring are a lot harder to deal with. It can be done, it's just tougher.

5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I paid $500 several years ago to have 4 '55 olds caps done. (same as avatar}

Squablow likes this.
  6. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

Thanks for the info. Found 1 guy told me $169 each just to polish. A bit high if you ask me. Another at 80-100 to straighten and polish.

7. Try Brightworks Restoration in fall River, Mass. 508-672-5931, or 508-646-6690. Steve does very good work at reasonable cost. He has done many stainless headlight rims for me in the past, and I am getting ready to ship more work to him.

8. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

That's who i used "brightworks" very fair pricing and the turn around was less that a week to get back to me. They came out beautiful. I would high recommend him and will use him in the future.

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

demon452: Could you post before & after pics and maybe the resto price, if you'd care to share?

I also have a set of Lyon caps that need restoring and would like to see how bad yours were to start with.

Thanks,
    -Bob

10. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

I only took a pic of the 1. Hard to tell but there were small dents around the rolled lip. I would say 6 or so. Also some minor 1s throughout, the center was the worse. Overall I dont think to bad. But here are a few pics. I had better pics but my phone took a shit so I lost them.

Btw i sent him an email with pics and he gave a rough quote 1st. 2 caps were roughly in the same condition. For the 2 shipped back to me were $215. 1st quote I got was $169 each from someone else.

Attached Files:

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, ! ^^^^^