Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ideas on closing in a big hole

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

33, 34 plymouth sedan, I need ideas on what to do with the top. Haven't got the car yet but I'd like to have a plan. I was going to cut a piece out of a van roof but I'd like to do something different without so much welding. There is no wood bows across the opening now from the pics I've seen. I thought about some kind of insert covered with marine vinyl that would set flush with the top, just don't want something that'll flop or make noise going down the road. I've got pics on my phone in my messages, I'll try to figure out how to get them on here. There is another thread on here about the same thing but I didn't want to clutter his up.

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I tacked the insert every 4 inches on my avatar. Not much welding plus I can cut the tacks if I ever want to remove the insert for maintenance. I use seam sealer, no leaks

3. You can always do like Ford,and install wood,and chicken wire.Cover with padding,and Ford roof material.

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

3M seam sealer should hold it just fine and no welding . Just figure out how to clamp it while it sets up.
    I replaced the roof skin on a 70 Chevy pickup with it . Worked great almost too easy.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

There are new structural adhesives just for attaching panels , the remove easily when heated if you want to ever remove it also .

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Like this.... Picture 8820.jpg

Chili Phil and harpo1313 like this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Title had me take a looks see.

bobss396 likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even though they are a lot stiffer than a smooth roof skin I have never been a fan of those ribbed roofs that guys snag from wagons or some vans. Now you will have me going out and looking at the roof on that 88 mini Ram panel van I have out back serving time as a cheap storage shed. I need a filler panel for my 31 Victoria.
    I'm going to say that you need some structure in the roof and not just a glue on or welded in filler panel.

Hnstray and 49ratfink like this.
  9. a mini van roof . just cut it out then trim and fit as you work it into place,

10. norms30a

norms30a

Masonite screwed to wood, indoor-outdoor carpet glued to Masonite. Marine vinal glued to Carpet then hidem welt, solid, padded, no welding, waterproof 121 040.JPG

11. Might consider a Juliano's top.

Jokester likes this.
  12. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Before you use a van roof, investigate the option of roof from a 50s wagon. ‘57-‘59 Fords have a cool roof, and so do some Mopars around the same time.

13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

...and while you're at it, get the rear end too!

I don't see '57 to '59 Ford wagons in the junkyards around here, however.

Kelly Burns likes this.
  14. I saw a '32 Ford Vicky roof done with a donor from a Taurus wagon. Not sure how it was attached, but had the perfect length and crown to it. I like the idea of tacking it in and using a 3M seam sealer. I attached my hood scoop using a 3M 8115 kit, IIRC.

15. I put a metal roof in my Model A pickup but just nailed it into the wood and covered it with upholstery, no welding required.
    ModelARoof1.jpg
    Roof8.JPG
    It's hard to find a big piece of roof these days, everything in the wrecking yard has a sun roof.
    Link to my upholstery thread, about half way down are more pictures of the insert.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/upholstering-my-model-a.1162030/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  16. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Thanks for the ideas. I would use a sheet of metal if I go that route. Finding something big enough here would be a problem. Everything has been crushed in the older stuff. Norm, I'd like to see more pics of yours.

17. I plan on using wooden framework/bows and covering it with some type of fabric. Would like to devise a way for the front part to open/close? Haven't quite figured that part out yet...
    Don't want the padded, puffy insert look though.

18. Budget36

Budget36

They all over the place and easy to find;)

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The one good thing about a roof, is if you find a '50s wagon rotting into the ground, the roof is probably still good!

20. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

They're out there if ya look!:D