Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just noticed this last night.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stephen Barrett, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I did think about changing the heads but mostly because I like the look of the Edelbrock in black. I haven't ruled it out depending on what they look like when I take them off. I think the price is reasonable but if I do that I'll have to change the intake too so they match. That's my OCD kicking in.

1947knuck likes this.
  2. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I had a feeling they might not be the right size but I was so blown away by your kindness I didn't mention it. I would have checked before I had you send anything but thank you so much anyway.

1947knuck likes this.
  3. I don’t know why you would get different heads, the spark plug holes are not a difficult fix at all

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I know the plug holes are not difficult to fix. Like I said previously I thought about changing them because I like the Edelbrock heads in black. So mainly because I like the look of them. I could paint mine I suppose but the other reason I like the Edelbrock heads is I just got a heater for my car and I was going to use the outlet on the top of the head but mine faces the front and I'd have to redirect it with a fitting in order for it to go back towards the firewall and the Edelbrock head has 2 outlets. 1 facing the firewall. So more of a straight shot. Just to keep it neat. I know it's not necessary it's purely for esthetic reasons.

1947knuck likes this.
  5. oldolds

oldolds

I know you do not want to hear this, but..... I would strongly suggest you replace all the studs. It sucks when you think you are done and that stud breaks off on the final re-torque. That is probably what happened and why you are in the situation you are now in.

6. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I don`t know if you have repaired the stud yet but depending how good you are at tig welding you can carefully build up the end of the stud to get something to grip and the heat will help loosen the thread in the block.

1947knuck likes this.
  7. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Yeah I know the risks but I'm willing to take them. I think the risk is higher that I'll break one or more taking all the studs out. You are right though. Once I get the heads off I'll make the decision then. Thanks that is a good point.

1947knuck and Budget36 like this.
  8. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I haven't done it yet but I'll be taking off the heads in the next few days. I have someone that welds well that is going to help me. I think he is going to weld a washer and nut on it and try that first. I have seen people use your method with success on exhaust bolts. Thanks for the advice.

1947knuck likes this.
  9. Mart

Mart

It can take multiple tries with the welding method of stud removal. I seem to remember drilling through the last one I did and then welded down the middle of it. (As much as I could anyway). The weld probably shrunk the stud and then it was able to come out.

dirty old man and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Sounds good. Watched a couple videos of Old Rusty. Nice, Like it!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    1947knuck likes this.
  11. 3spd

3spd

Something I noticed in your first picture, the red/clear wire running along the top of the head, I would assume is the power wire from the generator, appears to be speaker power wire which tends not to be good quality or up to the task. I would strongly recommend replacing it with proper automotive grade wire.

Good luck with your thread repair!

12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

It's not speaker wire but it could be for car audio. maybe to power an amplifier or run a battery in the trunk. My battery is in the back. Maybe that's why the previous owner used it. I don't see much wrong with using it but I did think about running cloth covered wires just for the old school look. I don't know if I've seen that gauge wire with cloth covers before. I would probably change it just because it's ugly but in due time. I have more pressing matters right now. Oh and it's an alternator that looks like a generator. I think that's pretty cool. I never saw one until I got mine. Thank for you input though. I really enjoy reading everybody's comments and advice.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    1947knuck likes this.
  13. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I took the heads off today. only took an hour. I wish I had good news but I do not. The stud wasn't just broken. Apparently there was a crack from the stud to the valve that was attempted to be repaired and I use the the word attempted loosely. Couldn't be much worse of a repair. You'll see what I mean by the picture. All I can say is WTF. Also check out the top of the first piston. WOW! Not really sure what method of repair I'm going to take at this point. Here for your viewing pleasure and not mine. IMG_1634.jpg IMG_1636.jpg IMG_1644.jpg IMG_1635.jpg IMG_1645.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  14. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

We now know why he sold the car! He obviously knew what was wrong, too bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dick Stevens and Greg Rogers like this.
  15. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Oh, what a bummer.. I'm sure you are sick about this, I am. I have been following along and was really curious how this would turn out- getting the bolt out-etc. I hope this can be repaired. If it can, these guys on the HAMB will know.

16. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Yeah. It sucks but what can you do? Thanks.

1947knuck likes this.
  17. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Yea, no way for you to know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

It is a bummer. I wish I could say I wasn't surprised but I kind of was. It wasn't too surprising about the piston. I'm not even too worried about running it like that but the stud is a real bummer. But like I said in my last posts what ever it takes. I know one thing I could never sell something knowing it had issues like this. When ever you buy a car you always expect to find things you didn't see when you purchased it but you can only look it over so much. Let the buyer beware is the best advice I can say.

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Small claims court?

olscrounger likes this.
  20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Okay, so now you know. Let's get the stud out of there.
    Grind away the JB weld, or whatever it is, so the stud has a clear path.
    Slip the head back on.
    Use your transfer punch to center punch the stud.
    Drill the stud with a small drill bit. (3/16" or so)
    Keep stepping up the drill bit about 1/16" at a time.
    Tap drill size for 7/16-14 is a letter 'U' or 23/64" (this is your max size)
    Be sure to drill all the way thru the stud.
    Use a left hand drill toward the end
    If it doesn't come out that way, do the heat cycle thing, 3 times.
    Easy out, GENTLY.

Report back!

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I always avoid court at all costs. Government is never the answer.

22. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks for the advice. I have someone with quite a bit of experience helping me at this point. He said almost the same thing you did. It's good to have 2 people with as much experience as you and him suggesting the same method. Gives me a little hope for success.

23. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Good luck with the repair, please keep us posted.

24. wandi harry

wandi harry

That sucks, what an arsehole

25. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks. I will.

1947knuck likes this.
  26. So are you more of a destination guy or a journey person ?

27. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

So looking at the stud hole and how bad it is and how close it is to the valve. I'm really considering rebuilding it. Between the piston, all the corrosion in the water holes and the carbon build up and also that my main seals front and back leak(not bad) I feel like now is as good a time as any to do it. I could be wrong but I don't want to deal with more problems later. Especially in the good season. The cylinder walls don't look bad but I can't do anything half assed and I think that hole should be welded up, drilled and taped. If I do it that way that means rebuild. Got to find out what that costs and if its worth it. I've been also checking out other motors too. I don't want to jump the gun. what do you guys think?

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  28. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

That's a tough question. It depends on how long's the journey and what's the destination. I don't mind if the juice is worth the squeeze.

1947knuck, arkiehotrods and Budget36 like this.
  29. Attempting to look on a brighter side here. If you are a journey person then for joy for joy ! You are in luck ! You have a project. If not, well, that sucks. Pain and suffering mental and material are yours. This could be as bad as having a new paint job scratched in a parking lot !
    Hope you are in for the journey. Most hot rodders seem to be.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  30. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks. I am but I don't know if my wallet is. My problem is I have to many journeys to take. Dealing with this plus I'm building a 1964 C10 on a 2003 Chevy Silverado 4x4 chassis. Then there is my 66 Pontiac Catalina that I tried to sell to fund some of these journeys but didn't have any luck. Seems like no matter how low you drop your price it's never low enough. I've had it over 20 years. So for now looks like I'm keeping that one too. The funny thing is I have like 60k in cars and I'm driving a $500 piece of crap winter beater that I hope makes it through the winter. That's a journey I wish I wasn't taking. LOL.