Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shifter question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sprout, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Is there a way I can make this stock 40s chevy shifter work with a 400 auto trans?

Attached Files:

2. There's always a way. I made the stock 2 speed shifter in my 51 work with a 700-R-4 and P is park R is reverse N is nuteral and L is first gear. I will tell ya it wasn't easy and it took the GM frame to trans cross shaft and a ton of time to get things moving as needed as well as travel. It took me about a week of evenings and some of my method would have made a Pollock laugh but I got it done and love it. I have to, I built it. It's about the total movement you have with the column and total movement you have with the Trans as well as the rotation of the trans arm. Not an easy combination to mess with.

Cosmo50 and Sprout like this.
  3. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

I don't mean to be rude but if ya gota ask probly not !!

4. Just because it's a bit difficult and you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done. For guys like you they make 1-800- Visa parts like Lo-Car. Not being rude here but,,,,,

5. P.S. Sprout. If your interested in improving your build skills I'd be glad to try to coach you and post photos of my shifting mechanism. The only guys that can't do it are the ones that first believe they can't.

Sprout and The Shift Wizard like this.
  6. Just looking at the photo, the shifter arrangement isn't all that different from a generic, automatic one. There are a couple of issues such as no position indicator on the column and no detents to securely hold certain gears. Other than those, I would use a lever at the bottom of the column and a cable with fixed brackets (similar to a throttle cable).

Sprout and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  7. I agree with Shift Wizard, you need shift hold detents. A indicator crown can be done many ways using old factory GM stuff.

Sprout likes this.
  8. I agree with bb here..The answer is Yes, or No

9. I'll agree with ya Mark. From where I stand my answer is a definite Yes. To go along with that answer I will also say there are many ways to get there, some much better than others.

Cosmo50 and Mark Yac like this.
  10. Me too ;)
    Looks like plenty of travel to utilize . Not too worried about the detents if used mainly in Drive range Could stiffen up the spring. I'd be more concerned about a neutral safety switch, or at least a Park safety switch. Also about what engine? Where is the exhaust? Headers or no? You know. Little details like that.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think the biggest hurdle for people is committing the time to build things like a homemade shifter (from scratch) and I don't infer that they don't have the time, they just aren't willing to "put in the time", especially when store bought is a mouse click away nowadays, technology has sucked the "hands on" creativity out of so much of society.

Just Gary and Mark Yac like this.
  12. Denny, I'm sure it bugs more than a few , to have to pay a buck or two, to search the "recycle" yards for a part that might work.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A detent is no more difficult to build than is the linkage. It just takes a bit of thought and a bit more time.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've probably spent money on new parts as much as anyone but have also gained a lot of satisfaction from making something from scratch or modifying existing parts.
    I've commented before on the "money" part, I just find it odd how people are so willing to spend HUGE $$$ on cel phones, computers, games, lattes, etc. but squeak when spending it on their projects.

Just Gary likes this.