Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ultimate 235 Hop up Thread.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SLAMIT, Jan 20, 2011.

1. BTTT

I'm building a basically stock .040 over 57 truck 235 for my 50 pickup. 848 head, stock 261-spec cam, Fenton headers, Fenton dual intake, Carter YFs. Will post some pictures one of these days. I've enjoyed reading through this whole thread off and on over the past week.

LAROKE likes this.
  2. AMW

AMW

3. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

subscribed with a '54 235 project

4. ftwkustom

ftwkustom
    from michigan

Wow, that’s an old post. The distributor cap was supposedly made by autolite. Made of glass. That motor looks totally different now.

I am going a different route on my project. I have a 32 roadster was gonna try and put the inline into. Was gonna open a can of worms. Hate to give up on it. But I’m going w a Flathead now. Listed most of my 6 stuff in the classifieds earlier if anyone’s interested. Not to hijack the thread. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Aeroman

Aeroman

One of my favorite threads on here. I thought social media killed the forums?! I'll share a few images of my 261 soon. It's going in a '47 Chevy Fleetline.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. Haven’t been on here in awhile but like to add my 235 here .60 over .125 off the head valve job custom grind cam 4 barrel Clifford intake wixski valve cover and pertronix dizzy... C33C7426-9429-483C-9D71-AB5A8C0246AB.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alfin32, LAROKE and Gofannon like this.
  7. You can static balance the piston and rod assembly very easily with the use of an accurate balance that you can make or buy.
    To balance the big end, just mount the pin end on a stand, and weigh all the big ends on the scale. Then, file the base (flat pad) of the big end rods to match the weight of the lightest big end.
    To balance the piston end, I lightly clamp a piece of shim stock between the cap and the rod base, so that the contact point is the same for all the rods. Then, if you want to be super accurate, weigh the pin end, and match the weight to the lightest rod. Next, weigh all the pins and match the weight. Lastly, do the same with all the pistons.
    This is a poor man's method of balancing, but it can make a considerable difference to the smoothness of the engine.
    Remember a little weight difference on the scale, becomes a lot of differential at 5000 rpm or more.
    The biggest differences I have found, were always on engines that had been rebuilt one or more times.
    Bob

8. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

HELP, recently acquired two Edelbrock Chevy six intakes, the 216 is a N.O.S. piece late 30's thru 53' sticks and the 235 is marked PG powerguide first used from 1950 thru 1962. With the stepped inlet rings they will fit 216/235 261. I would like to come up with the Edelbrock catalog listing ID #'s for these two pieces. Have a decent collection of this era catalogs and find Offenhauser/Fenton stuff,
    but not Edelbrock.... Thanks for your time, dyno dave

9. 270ci

270ci

A good blow job certainly perks up an ole stovebolt!
    blwn270-3.JPG
    Soren's 216.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  10. Very nice!
    Bob

11. Dyno Dave, Baumi, 270ci and 2 others like this.
  12. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

13. CadillacKidd

CadillacKidd

I am building a stovebolt stroker at the moment. Everything is currently at the machine shop and has been cleaned and magnafluxed.

1954 Chevy 261 [Blue Block]
    Bore should clean up around .060"-.080"
    Converting to full flow oiling.
    Molnar Billet 7.125" H-beam Con Rods
    STD/STD stock forged crank offset ground for 4.125" stroke with 2.1 rod journals
    Custom Forged Pistons are in the works

I'm currently running a 235 with 848 head, shaved block and head with .040" cast flat top pistons. This is in a 1933 Chevy 1.5 Ton OB Chassis with SM420, closed drive shaft, stock rear end with 5.43:1 gears. Holley Sniper EFI with Hyperspark on Clifford 4150 intake. Clifford split headers into Flowmaster Super 50. Everything runs great, so much better than with the stock manifolds and single barrel carb.

I am building the 261 stroker to replace the 235 in my 33. My intention is to build a daily driver; this will include F-450 S130 rear axle with 4.30:1 gears, and a TKX with 0.72:1 5th gear.

I am at a cross roads with which way to go before I commit to ordering pistons. I was planning on a Turbo running 4-6 PSI, but I'm torn between that and a Weiand 174 Supercharger for the lack of boost lag. I don't plan on racing, but I'm a pretty aggressive driver and use all the extra power I can every now and then...I've been considering fuel economy as well since it will be a daily driver, and am thinking about going the high compression route. It'll probably never really see over 3500-4000 RPMs, so torque will be key.

If I turbo it, I will fab up a custom manifold with long intake runners for better low end power. If I run a blower, I will use the blower manifold from JJ Inlines. If I go high compression, I'll use the Clifford that is currently on the 235. What is the highest CR that would be safe for 91 octane on these engines? Cam profiles will be dictated by which road I end up walking and will most likely be a custom grind.

If you have experience or input on this, please let me know what your thoughts are. Every bit of knowledge is helpful in developing the proper build for the rather archaic old sixer.

Attached Files:

ebs121781 and Baumi like this.
  14. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

after reading this thread more times than i can remember , and seeing the blower mtrs. i thought it needs to be woke up again ! how about more pix and info on blower application . are these bottom ends really up to the task ? how much room is needed at the front for the drive ?

jersey greaser likes this.
  15. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

From 1959 to 1962 the 261s in Canadian Pontiacs was rated at 150hp. Don't know if the bump was real or imagined. Even saddled with a power glide they were a descent performer, noticeably stronger than a 235.

16. cabong

cabong

I suspect this little 216 would put a smile on the 'ol kister. It's actually a 261ci out of a 216 and runs full pressure. It had 2 Winfield side drafts..... It was traded for a few bottles of milk !! Wayne.jpg

Shitbox, LAROKE, alfin32 and 4 others like this.
  17. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

What was purpose of placing the exhaust valve in a resessed pocket?

18. Gofannon

Gofannon

"In 1919 Ricardo was studying the phenomena affecting the combustion within the petrol engine and the diesel engine. He realised that turbulence within the combustion chamber increased flame speed, and that he could achieve this by offsetting the cylinder head. He also realised that making the chamber as compact as possible would reduce the distance that the flame had to travel and would reduce the likelihood of detonation."

Harry Ricardo - Wikipedia

Cutlas Fan likes this.
  19. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

Thanks, Gofannon

20. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

What kind of head was that, with 3 intake ports on the distributor side?

21. 52HardTop

52HardTop

That's a 12 Port head with those being the exhaust ports. The intakes on the other side.

Cutlas Fan and LAROKE like this.
  22. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

23. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

Thx for the links, very interesting

24. drumyn29

drumyn29

Does anyone sell a high volume oil pump for a 235?

25. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Not to my knowledge. Years ago, guys would adapt a GMC pump. What makes you think that you need one?

26. drumyn29

drumyn29

I spun a bearing recently and it just seems like it could be the pump, do 235's have oil pressure issues?

27. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

not that i have ever seen, ran a 54 belair ,235 in N/stock for years never spun a bearing

28. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've never had any oil pressure problems with the 235s/261s I had. The stock pump, if it's in good condition, should be sufficient.

29. drumyn29

drumyn29

It's been my daily driver for years and have never built an engine that spun a bearing 2 miles down the road after a rebuild. Everything went together perfect. The pump is a few years old but I disassembled before the build and it seemed great. Number 3 and 4 rods are toast and number 3 main is toast.

Attached Files: