Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Re-drilling axle bolt patterns?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop30, Nov 10, 2019.

1. choptop30

choptop30
    from Arkansas

Found a 57 Ford rearend in the local shopper and was wondering if there would be enough material on the stock axles to re-drill to a 5 on 5-1/2 bolt pattern to match my front drums? I have not purchased the rearmed and have nothing to measure from to find out.

Thanks
    Don

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Look up RottenLeonard here on the HAMB and in the classifieds; he makes a re-drilling fixture to do what you're planning on. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. :rolleyes: THIS !!

best, easiest way to know your drilling it correctly

dana barlow likes this.
  4. choptop30

choptop30
    from Arkansas

Thank you for the leads. I will contact him about a possible drill fixture for this application.

Thanks
    Don

5. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I don’t think anybody answered your question. I don’t have an axle handy to measure, but I would be surprised if the 5 x 5.5 pattern would fit on the car axle flange. And I have been wrong before.....

Hnstray and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Have Seen A Ring Made And Welded To The Axle Flange To Give You The Extra Material If Needed...

7. greybeard360

greybeard360

You have an obstacle.... The large round hole that gives access to the axle retainer bolts. For what it would cost to have axles drilled, you may be able to order a pair from Randy's ring and pinion in the correct length and bolt pattern.

8. Maybe consider buying 66-76 bronco axles, that rear is 58 inches wide, your rear should be 57 inches wide, there's enough splines to take a half inch off each side. You should be able to look up the length of both rear axles to compare the two, the bronco comes in both small bearing and big bearing, stay away from the 74-75 axles it's a mutt for retaining plate and seals, I just fought that battle.
    Hope that helps.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If you have the big bearing wagon or ranchero rear there is enough meat on the axle to re drill to 5.5 I've done it many times.

10. I would pass on the rear end and get one out of a Bronco that already has the 5 on 5 ½ pattern. Alternatively you could carry a wheel adapter to be used with the spare. You might be able to get rims with the two bolt patterns but you would need to check around. I doubt that Ford engineers left enough extra material in the flange to safely increase the bolt pattern diameter. How about modifying the front drums and hubs for a smaller diameter? That was a fairly common modification, you might try a wanted ad here and on fordbarn. What kind of rims are you going to run? I like the bent spoke Kelsey rims but they don’t work well with a later rear end. What is the gear ratio of the rear end you are looking at? It might be cheaper to buy a rear end with the ratio you want than changing the ratio on a rear end you got at a good price.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rob sold the drill fixture line to Hellsgate Hot Rods, they offer them now.

12. brading

brading

Carrying on with what Lou Wells said this is an idea I came up with a few years ago. I know it says hub but the principle would be just the same for an axle.

Attached Files:

Donut Dave and LOU WELLS like this.
  13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

57 Ford axle flange is too small for 5 x 5 1/2 bolt pattern.

14. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the tool and it was excellent except that I had to fill the hole and level the back of the flange so the studs would pull in straight and sit flush on the flange. It's an iffy process. On the next rear end, I ordered a set of axles from Quick Performance made to exact length with bearings and screw in studs and the pattern that I wanted. $300 all in. Excellent product and great service. Have dealt with them now on four occasions for axles and brakes.

Warren

[​IMG]

15. 53 effie

53 effie

I wanted the 5x5.5 b0lt pattern for my project. I bought a F-100 axle and had it narrowed to the early bronco width. I bought the early bronco axles.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Thank You Sir...

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

Not enough meat, diameter is too small, here's a template to demonstrate or use one of these
    [​IMG]

LOU WELLS likes this.
  18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

19Fordy. I agree that the standard small bearing 57 rear has to small a flange to redrill to 5.5. I must have had 58/59 big bearing wagon rears because I used to redrill them all the time to 5.5. Common practice before repro axles were readily available. Another trick I used to do was using a 60/64 short side axle to narrow a 57/59 rear end with 2 inches off the right side to center the housing. Also liked to use the 60/64 rear brakes to put bigger brakes on the 57/59 rears.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Atwater Mike and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. RmK57

RmK57

Big Fords, Lincoln, Mercury and large series Edsel got the 5x5 pattern.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The 28 spline axles are sometimes available , somewhat cheaply, due to guys updating to 31 spline. What is the man asking fir the 57 model Nine inch? People are saying pass on it, but it depends on what he is asking for and condition.

Bones

21. alchemy

alchemy

I picked up what I was told was a 59 rear for $80. This axle swap to narrow it is exactly what I was looking for. What are the widths or landmarks to look for to make sure I'm getting a 60-64 rear.

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you found a '57 rear end, just get it. Surely you will find a use for it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

alchemy: I'm getting old and don't remember, but I think the 60/64 rear was 61 inches outside width? Re drilling strictly depends on whether it is small or big bearing. Only the big bearing axles can be re drilled. As I stated above when I first opened my shop 57/59 big bearing rears were fairly available and quite a few of my customers wanted the early Ford bolt pattern to go with the early brakes on the front.