Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Garage or Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Nov 10, 2019.

1. In my family its always been Dads toy box.
    When I lived in NW Montana my wifes car was always outside. I cleaned the snow off and started it to warm it up for her.(shoveled) a snowpath to the car.

LOU WELLS and scotty t like this.
  2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

How sweet is that! You also happen to own two of my all time favorite cars, a solid axle Vette and a white over blue '56, same color combo as my older sister's husband's, the car that got me started on all this.

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  3. I tend to use both terms to describe the same place, calling your space a garage or shop could simply be more or less a localism that folks in your area have used for years, you can argue it ether way and in the long run both terms apply to the same place. HRP

4. error404

error404
    from CA

Mine's a carport :(

Cosmo50 and scotty t like this.
  5. If its got a lift - its a SHOP !

Oldmics

6. I grew up playing in that vette, Dad bought it in ‘62 and had it dismantled by about ‘66. It sat that way till the early 80’s when I was in high school. I had a 69 camaro that got shoved out side when I finally convinced him to work on the vette again. We finished it right after I graduated in ‘85. It was passed on to me about two years ago. The 56 is just one in a long line of old cars I’ve had, it is being built to a little higher standard than most of mine though.

7. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Most of the time I can manage to move my projects to "my" side so my wife can park on "her" side at night. DSCN1120.JPG

8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Mine is a 30x40 with a more recent 28x34 addition on the back. It's my garage (park my pickup just inside the door with the '32 right in front of the pickup. Drive thru the 9' door that I put in the wall between the original garage and the addition and you will find the Mustang in front of that and the '62 Unibody just off to the side. At the end of that room (22x28) is a walk thru door that leads to Hobby Hell, my model and magazine room. The wife parks in an 11x22 that is boxed off right beside my pickup. Guess it's 3 garage stalls and the rest is shop with a hobby room and a patio to hide on clear at the back. Works pretty well. Still have room for an Anglia or other small car!
    SPark

100_4212.JPG 100_4214.JPG 100_4215.JPG IMG_2818.JPG 100_4159.JPG 100_4208.JPG DSCN3480.JPG 100_4870_zpse9c5dce9.JPG 100_4868_zps304d5a0e.JPG DSCN5904.JPG

9. brad2v

brad2v

Anything that runs has to live outside it my house. So I'd say mines a shop. I just moved here in January, so said shop is another project, building shelves, upgrading lighting, and figuring out where everything is going to go.

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Some of yu's guys seem to have a Diner,or super clean den. I'm not sure what to call it. None of my work place ever looked like nothing was done in here. But my cars are very clean. Just kidding,we're all good,no matter. I started out 1950s my early teens,in the weeds of my Dads backyard with cardboard box as floor,still like a cardboard box vs creeper. Old Dogs don't know what to call it,just use. LOL ,,How bow' t work space. Really what ever ya likes.
    IMG_2795.JPG

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  11. yeah and is it ..."out to the shop,... over to the shop, or down to the shop"....?? Or ....over ta' the garage....or he's down to the garage....and is it garage or "graage'' (kinda right the NY /Canadian border here....................................arrrgh!!! so many unanswered questions!!!!!!!!!

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  12. 5window

5window

There are some nice places, but honestly? Forty people have nothing better to do than discuss shop vs garage? Heaven's sake, go outside and do something. Anything. Please. Life is short. Me included.

dana barlow likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am working in my shop. ;)

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Spent the morning raking leaves, putting away outdoor decorations from Halloween and getting ready for winter. Grabbing a bite to eat before headed south an hour to pick up my '32 at the glass shop then it's back to work on it!

Why do you have time to post on me (and others) wasting time? Hmmmm….

SPark

LOU WELLS, chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

To be honest my shop is also a depository of a lot stuff needed for a few projects so space is limited. But I'd hate to clear stuff out and later find that I needed the very same stuff. Our basement garage was converted into a machine shop by our son which is useful but also less storage parking for me.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    LOU WELLS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

A garage has has late models, rakes, bikes and lawn mowers a shop has none of the above

Truckdoctor Andy and hrm2k like this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I did do stuff today. Wash vehicles, go to recycler (picked up some good size sheet mental and a 1/2" piece of plate for a second welding table), got cheap gas, raked leaves, and a few little other small jobs. But I had to come inside to take a dump so that is when I posted my replies. I guess you could come over and install a toilet in my shop so I could stay there and keep working.... LOL

19. Budget36

Budget36

So if I have an attached 2 car garage, and built a car in one spot....is that a shop? O if I built a 30x40 behind the house, and built a car in there...that is a shop? Or what if I put the car I built into the 30x40...does that make it a garage?

Years ago...(and it's still in town) you'd take the car into the "oakdale garage" to get fixed.

Awwwww...they joys of Social Media...

Does my butt look fat behind this keyboard?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Straight Axle Guy

Straight Axle Guy

I got a one car shop! 20190928_110817.jpg

LOU WELLS, chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

shop with an empty space where the coupe sat

[​IMG]

22. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It makes a huge difference what you call your garage or shop in some places. I recently bought a home with a large vacant area next door that I thought was a "vacant lot" that was part of the lot with the house. After putting up the money I discovered in escrow that the vacant lot was a separate lot, but for a few thousand it could all be made into one big lot. "Cool", says I. So when I proceed I find I can only build a 400 SF "shop on the combined property. Oh, wait. "What if I don't combine the property". City Planner: "Well then you can only build a shop that is one quarter of the square foot of the main floor of the house". Me: "Well then, how big of a garage can I have if its attached to the house? City Planner: "You can have a 4 car garage". Me: "Can I have a 1600 sf 4 car garage". City Planner: "Oh yeah, no problem". Me: "Ok, what size house do I have to have?" City Planner: "Minimum 1000 sf". Me: "OK so I can have a 1000 sf rental house with a 1600 sf 4 car garage?" City Planner: "Oh yeah, no problem". I didnt ask if I could use the front room of the rental house to keep a lathe and a milling machine but I think it will be just fine if I keep the curtains closed on the windows. The moral of the story is you better find out what the head Commissar at the building department at the People's Republic of wherever you are at, will allow before you start talking to him.

23. Close "Lube-atory and 30x60 that I sectioned off to 30x30 to make it easier to heat...lol
    . 20190926_152909.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  24. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I have a 40x60 building and the drivers are parked in one end and the shop (it has a lift) at the other so I get both in one building.
    It is 100 feet from the house for a couple of reasons. It keeps the noise & stink out of the house and I figure that with them that far apart I am likely to only burn them down one at a time.
    I am also out of town so I was able to build whatever I could afford without the local leadership telling me what I needed.

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well , I got a two car attached “ garage” a detached two car “ shop” here at the house. But on the ranch we have two “ shops” ......... and four “ barns”!!!!! There’s a new term!

Bones

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  26. When I'm at home, I work in the garage.
    When I'm at work, I work in my shop.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. gene-koning

gene-koning

My garage was officially a "shop" when I ran a business out of it. I call it a shop, or a garage, depending on who I'm talking with. There isn't a lift because there is a 2 stall garage under it (I park my mower and have a bunch of stuff in the lower level), and it (the upper part) only has an 8' ceiling.
    There has been a few hot rods built there in the last 18 years, but my wife parks her car in it when there wasn't something being worked on inside of it.
    There is also a 19' wide, 88' long cement driveway that often gets used to work on stuff that doesn't fit in the 7' x 16' garage door on my shop. My side yard is down to having 5 vehicles and a bare frame sitting on it right now.

I'd be doing something if it wasn't almost 11pm on a Sunday night here. Its also snowing, that may have a negative effect on what happens tomorrow. Gene

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If home is truly where the heart is, then the garage is where the ass is. :cool:

jimgoetz and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1539.JPG Mine is an attached 20x19' garage, but stuffed with tools parts and projects. Call it what you like but it sure beats working outside in the rain.

30. Walking out to the Garage/Shop this morning I looked over the door and remembered the sign my son in law gave me when they were installing new signs at the Psychiatric hospital, maybe this is the best name for our beloved space. :) HRP

248.JPG