Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Garage or Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Been looking at a thread on garage shots at night and it got me wondering about how others view their work areas. Garage that mainly stores a vehicle(s) or as a shop where serious work gets done rather than simply maintence type work. I consider mine a shop.

2. I’ve always considered a garage to be attached to a house and a shop a stand alone building.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd never have another house with an attached garage but I have to go with Fortunateson in that a garage is where you keep your cars that you drive and a shop is where you work on your cars in a home situation.
    I'd love to have a decent garage to keep the running and driving rigs in and away from the shop just to keep them cleaner and not worry about damaging them. Had a buddy who ruined a new paint job on his rod a number of years ago when he was grinding on the frame of his new project and the flying metal stuck in the paint of the car that was actually several feet away but hot metal and fresh paint seem to attract each other.

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always have my TX buddy on about what is for sale in his “shop”
    Down under we have a shed or workshop where the business gets done.

stillrunners, AHotRod and clem like this.

5. Shop, as in workshop. The garage is attached to the house.

6. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I agree. I am fortunate enough to have both, drivers in the garage and the “good” cars (and motorcycles) in the shop.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Mine is both. A Garop.

Chappy444, ClarkH, 32SEDAN and 13 others like this.
  8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I have a 40'x24' attached garage that's always at around 60 degrees even in the winter without heat. Bid bonus is I park my daily driver inside during the winter, I'm old. It's also my shop where I've built two ground up cars. No walking out to a cold building for me. I feel lucky I found the place.

9. Budget36

Budget36

This is going to be like a "engine vs motor" thread.

Cosmo49, Tim, swade41 and 3 others like this.
  10. Interesting. I have a Shorage.

11. I consider it a religious shrine.

12. Hmmmm- I have a Barage attached my house-it’s more of a multi-purpose room where we park cars. A Garage, A Bar, a dining room and family gathering place all in one. I do service work and general repairs but no cutting, welding or painting in this area- I have a 20x30 detached shop where any fabrication and painting takes place.

13. 1700 sq ft house (2 bed room) walk out a 3 0 door @ the end of hall way to a 3800 sq ft shop (heated and a/c), all attached with a spray booth, lift and fab area. Can keep 1 finished in the booth when not using, 1 up on the lift and 1 under, pull a curtian and still have over 2000 sq ft to work in. From the front of the house ya don't even know there is a shop, just looks like a real long house (125 ft long) with a double and single garage door. And yes I'm single (Now) When my wife was still alive she didn't mid it at all. I call it my Toy Barn/house

14. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I say more prayers in my garage then in church..lol

15. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I say more things that would get me banned from Church.

16. I'm kinda spread all over. The garage that is attached to our house, has heat and A/C. But it's just for storing my 34 Delivery and 31 Hemi A sedan. It's real convenient for when driving them. The garage, or { the shop } as we call it. That's at my dads house. It's a large building that's shared with my brothers. It has a full sheet metal shop, our tools, and an HVAC shop also. But it's for work only. I've painted some of my Rods there too. I have an old farm house, that I use for my junk horading. I also built a little 1950's styled service station in our back yard too. I store our Nomad, Vette, and 67 Pontiac in it, plus more old junk. lol It has some old gas pumps, coke machines, etc. The poor old U.F.O. { 29 coupe } is mostly just stored in the driveway. Than there's our house. It's full of Hot Rod toys, a train, and slot car lay outs, and just more old junk! lol { Yeah, I have a problem }! :eek: lol Ron.......

17. BJR

BJR

I go with this, but you can have a stand alone garage also, but never an attached shop. A shop is where you work on your stuff, a garage is where you park your cars.

Crocodile likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You can call it anything you want but for cripes sake don't call my shop a man cave.
    I don't drink Scotch, don't smoke cigars and I don't have a pool table.
    The person that coined the term " man cave" no doubt was also responsible for inventing the
    "she shed".

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This guy would have disagreed.

[​IMG]

20. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I don't have a garage but I do have a shop that includes parking my daily car inside if I so desire, if there's room! lol

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

A shop is usually a commercial establishment.
    I call mine a La-bor-a-tory.

22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'd like to have a 40x60 shop with a garage in it.

23. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

One Building Can Be Many Things And I Prefer A Working Shop/Lounge But Never A Storage Shed.. DSCN1938.JPG

24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I call mine a shop even though it's just a 3 car garage... **clic pic** for sale pics II 009.JPG

dsiddons, LOU WELLS, scotty t and 2 others like this.
  25. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I've never parked one of my cars inside a garage. Just because I've never lived in a place that had one. They've always been out in the weather. I do have a small 2 car detached "shop" where everything is built. Maintenance is done in the driveway.

20191104_111255.jpg

26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Mine is 1800 sq ft so i call it a "shop" but if truth be told it needs to be called something different as it seems to be a place where every bodies else crap seems to congregate !!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

A garage is where you and your wife(if married) park your cars.
    A shop is where you go to to get away from your wife. My shop is a mile away from the garage.

28. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have two bays. One is for the project car and the other is my work shop! The wife wasn't happy when I rolled her BMW out and moved my 31 roadster in! :D

ClarkH and scotty t like this.
  29. I’m fortunate to have both. 2 bay attached garage that’s newly remodeled and heated and a 3 bay shop that’s got heat and a/c and is about 200’ from the house.
    F6C90848-D400-4B0E-B65C-C2BE9A761A32.jpeg
    A01C40F6-6CAB-46AF-8487-0E30524CB1D3.jpeg
    5571C284-F9E5-4BDD-A0BC-D73B28663131.jpeg

30. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Garage in the front. IMG_0685.JPG
    Shop in the back. IMG_0618.JPG
    The deal was I got to build the shop and She got to park inside in the winter.:)

Phil