Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 9 inch width 57 vs 61

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Nov 8, 2019.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Thinking about going to a 9 inch when my 55 sunliner gets a y block again,all the 57s are gone in a local junkyard but there is this cheap 61 that the rear end looks narrow since the rear wheels look to be about 3 or 4 inches in from the lip of the quarter panels so anyone know if they are close in width.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As I recall, '57/'58/'59 were the narrowest of the 9" passenger cars of that era. They were about '57"/58", I believe. I have two 'small body' (Ford based) '58 Edsel axles and they are 60.75", which I believe is same as '60 Ford and up for a few years.

Though it is OT, '90s era Ranger pickups with 4.0 V6 or extended cabs, use a 8.8" Ford axle with 5 x 4.5" bolt circle and are 58.5" wms to wms. They can be found with either 9" or 10" drum brakes, depending on application. Obviously, the 10" brakes would be preferable. The 8.8" is considered to be as strong as the typical 9".

Ray

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    scotty t likes this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Might look for a small bearing early Bronco rear end, lots of guys change the out fir big bearing 9 inch. Not sure on width but should be one of the narrower ones.

Bones

deathrowdave likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

They are narrow enough....but have the 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern. That could be changed of course....

Ray

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early 1990's Ranger 8.8s (1990-1992) are 56.5"

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^yep..........but the '90s era goes all the waaaay to '99.....:D

and, the 58.5" continues into the 2000s

7. 61 Ford full size is in the 56-57 inch width backing plate to backing plate.That car likely has 2,or 2.25 inch wide brakes so add about 5 inches.That puts you around 61-62 inches drum to drum.67-68 Mustang had a narrower 9 inch,but the odds of finding one in a yard arent good.Quick Performace sells housing axle packages for about 680 bucks.Another though is the 2012 era Mustang.Comes with posi,discs,several ratios,59 inches wide rotor flange to rotor flange.Centered pinion.Yards are full of them too.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some people I know are still living in them.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:eek:..............:confused:............:D

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Mustang 8.8" began in 1986 and thru '93 are the dimensions you quote....59" and a fraction. Starting in '94 and thru '98, the housing width remained the same, but the axles are 1" wider on each side. That was due to the addition of disc brakes and the caliper brackets, etc. I am familiar with this because I have both a '98 and an '89 axle assembly in my shop currently. Preceisely because they are centered pumpkin is why I am using them. The Ranger has an offset pumpkin, but will work in many applications nonetheless. In my case, a '37 Chevy, the floor contours require a centered differential for clearance.

Ray

irishsteve likes this.
  11. alumslot

alumslot

carnut.com/specs/frear.html
    This site has rear end widths axle flange to flange.

Hnstray and 1946caddy like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a 8.8 in my 56 with early 90's F-150 rear 11" drums. A little wider shoes than stock. Will take the stock E-brake cable with a little filing of the hole.
    Axles had 5 on 4-1/2" and drums had both patterns. 3879FB04-D1F6-4DA9-B846-FED514EC3226.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Hnstray and JeffB2 like this.
  13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have a Bronco in my 32 . It is 58 in as best as I can remember . It’s been a long long time .

swade41 likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good memory. 1966-1977 Bronco is 58" 5-on-5-1/5" bolt pattern.

15. I used a 69 fairlane 9 inch housing & axles in my 55 wagon. its one inch narrower drum to drum than a stock tri five rear

Truckdoctor Andy and Hnstray like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

With the dwindling stockpile of the narrower nine inch housings it has kind of turned into a "holy grail" deal trying to find and match up existing rearends and certain body combinations.
    With the proliferation of shops doing housing narrowing and custom axles I don't quite understand the reason to struggle with this, especially with the available dimensional database out there on all the various swap applications.
    It's not like it was in the 60's/70's when there were only a small handful of shops doing custom rearend work, nowadays, every corner of the country has shops doing this.
    Why is it people nowadays find it so easy to pay big money for a cel phone with all the bells and whistles or five bucks for a Starbucks coffee (every day) but won't spend it on things like this?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    swade41, Hnstray, V8 Bob and 2 others like this.
  17. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

I agree Denny. I looked around for a while trying to find just the right rear axle for my old car. I ended up buying a bolt in axle from Currie through Summit.

18. chubbie

chubbie

'57 is 57 inches and the '61 is 61"

19. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree^^^

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a '61 nine inch in my '47 Plymouth. It fit good but of course I Don't know how wide it is.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. While that chart that we are directed to by the "link" is very helpful it is not 100% correct.

It groups all of the Edsels 58-60 as one housing size of 60.00. That information is incorrect.

All of the 58 Edsel wagons are based on the 57 Ford chassis and therefore have the shorter 57.25 housing.

57 housings also had two sizes of axle bearings.

Standard size bearing for passenger cars and T Birds and the larger bearings for police cars,station wagons and taxis

Oldmics

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I can find one that fits from this junkyard I will have alot less then buying a new one,not every one has deep enough pockets to buy everything new. My budget only allows me to do it the old school way,looking like I will keep the 8 inch in it for now.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jeff, I'm hearing you and when I posted that I knew the kind of responses I would get.
    And that's ok, I've never been a bucks up kind of guy either, I've just always made the adjustments to acquire some of the "gotta have" components for my projects.
    Your operative word was "if" and that kind of reflects my comment as to finding that holy grail part, we just don't live in the times when much of this stuff was readily available.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I might have to get a new one but since the 8 inch is not broke I have plenty of time to find one and if I can not then I will take that option,30 years ago I did not think that old parts would be this hard to find.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

The "57"-"59" Ranchero, Station Wagon, and Sedan Delivery "9" inch are just a pinch narrower than the "9" inch under the regular car. Check a Hollander Interchange Manual and check it out. But, good luck in finding one.

26. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That may be BUT according to the original 1957 Ford Chassis book the length of the axles for all of the 9" housings is the same.
    Right side - 30 7/16
    Left side - 26 1/16
    All are 28 spline

I know there could be some "give" in the axle fit if we are talking incremental differences in the tube length but I dont see where there would be any differences in the overall length of the housing since the axles are the same length for all of the 9" housings.

Of course there differences in the spring perch mounting and the bearing sizes of the tube.

Oldmics

Hnstray likes this.
  27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That yard has a 58 wagon if I can get it up high enough without it falling apart.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. Not as easy changing bolt patterns as you would think, the retaining plate access hole gets in the way and there's that pesky step in the flang that gets in the way of certain bolt patterns. I just went through this trying to convert a bronco to 5x4.75, bought that re-drilling jig and it put it right in the hole, then I noticed the step in the flange.
    I ended up buying new Moser axles in the chevy pattern and re-drilled my drums to suit. I have 3 cars with the bronco axle, cut off the old spring perches, weld new ones on plus shock mounts.
    FB_IMG_1573449186345.jpg

Here you can see how the one hole for the new lug pattern goes right into the access hole and also you can see the step in the flange

FB_IMG_1573449181292.jpg

Boneyard51 likes this.