Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is Don Blairs and you are right it went thru many stages of Lake readiness...

Here's the thread that led me to these questions below...the second link is the comments on the first...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=8712

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bert-bloomquist-images-part-3-the-mill.474566/

Jet96 and woodiemike like this.
  2. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As usual Jimmy B is spot on! Great pictures and information Jimmy. Thanks. Great info Stogy!

Cyclone Kevin, Dannerr and Stogy like this.
  3. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Just saw on facebook that we lost "Rockerhead " Don Montgomery today , RIP old buddy. Thanks for all your books and stories

Dannerr, Cyclone Kevin, KKrod and 2 others like this.
  4. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OMG...that is devistating
    OMG...that is devastating news. The hobby is truly losing an icon. Not only do we lose a great guy, but we also lose such great memories, knowledge, expertise, and everything else Don had to offer and did so freely. I am so, so sorry to hear of his passing. He will be truly missed. Condolences to the Family. RIP Don.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Cyclone Kevin and KKrod like this.
  6. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

KKrod and Stogy like this.
  7. 296ardun

296ardun

Yes, Don bought it from the Spaulding brothers, replaced their T body with this one, and his own blown flathead

woodiemike and Stogy like this.
  8. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the reply and information ardun! Good to see you are still hanging around!!;):)

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Really stoked to score these RTA tags in a antiques mall in LA. I'm trying to do some research on Sam Comstock. I found his name mentioned in this thread in a Hotrod Magazine report for the April 1950 El-Mirage meet. Would love to find out any more info on what club he was a member of and what car he ran. Seems he did pretty well

image0.jpeg
    image2.jpeg

chryslerfan55, Stogy, oj and 6 others like this.
  10. rusty valley

rusty valley

pretty darn cool !

Stogy likes this.
  11. deluxester

deluxester

I’m blown away by the quality of these photos. And you have so many; these really help connect me with that moment in racing history. Priceless.. thanks for taking the time to share them.

12. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello HotRodDean; first off nice score on the timing tags! Kind of amazing you come all the way over here to find them in a antique mall in L.A.!! Good for you and glad you saved them. Crazy where some of this stuff ends up. I have checked everything I have but do not show anything on Sam. I think the best bet is to check with our friend @Jimmy B . His memorabilia collection is quite extensive. Take Care

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  13. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are very welcome deluxester! As previously stated, it's all here for all to enjoy. Hoping to provide information and inspiration!!;):cool:

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Dannerr and 2 others like this.
  14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have driven to El Mirage from San Antonio 4 times in our Deuce highboy roadster, 2019 being the latest trip. I was wondering if there is a chance in Hell I could buy one of your PRC plaques. I intend to display it on my roadster until we head back to El Mirage in case it is disallowed by club rules. If I can't display it, I would be happy to hang it on my garage wall next to my club plaque, The Spokesmen. I would be more than willing to join the PRC if out-of-state residents are permitted. I totally understand if this is no bueno. Gary.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Besty34 like this.
  15. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

If you look on ebay sometimes the prc plaques come up for sale .There probably reproductions but honestly I have one if it is you can't tell..

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I believe an ex-member of PRC offered his plaque up for sale a couple of years ago on eBay for $500.

I think he is a member here too, just cannot recall him name

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AF4285F2-BD58-44B3-BF3B-59D5F83089FE.jpeg 64FE8C50-94D8-424F-8886-45E85473BC89.jpeg AD304825-54B5-4D26-B339-B6795FB02F05.jpeg 799C01EA-0DC5-437E-A53F-F0F32357FEA2.jpeg

63fdsnr, Nobey, Copper Top and 3 others like this.
  18. oj

oj

19. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you oj. That is actually my Son and Grandson. Like I said I am trying to get the Grandkids involved also. My Granddaughter is even doing some welding on things. Hell she's a better welder than I am!! Sorry to say but my parents passed on a few years ago:( But as you know they have left us all with a lot of excellent pictures and information for all to enjoy for years to come!!! The picture of Mom on the pickup is one of my favorites. Happy Holidays to all!!:)

oj and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @woodiemike same to you Hotrodder...;)

Who is that in the background with you and your Grandson and I'm not talking about Fido...

Nice Hotrod shaping up by the way...I'd expect nothing less from you with the amount of it in your bloodstream...thanks for all your contributions here...;)

21. Hey mike, the roadster is awesome. Are you going to be running 6v or 12v. What are you planning for a distributor? I might have an extra Lincoln LZ distributor hanging around. Merry Christmas. Bruce.

Stogy and oj like this.
  22. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How's it going @Stogy? Hope things are well with you and yours. Thank you for the attaboy! I always look forward to your comments here on the HAMB. Always very insightful and knowledgeable. Thank you for your contributions. That picture is my Son and Grandson. The guy in the background is "uncle Fester" after a hard night of Trick or Treating!! LOL!!:):) Our build is going to be the "usual" traditional build. 59AB motor, 32 K-member, 39 pedals, 40 steering wheel, 40 rear end, juice brakes, etc., etc. And a hundred other small things.;) We are plugging along as I am trying to involve my Son and Grandkids as much as possible. It has been very rewarding so far. As the saying goes, it's all about the journey. Doing the research, hunting down parts, etc. And of course the "Hot Rod" experience. Take care and Happy Holidays.:)

IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1247.JPG IMG_5510.JPG

Nobey, gnichols, 48fordnut and 5 others like this.
  23. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bruce good to hear from ya!:) Going 12V with this one. Not going to go to crazy with the anything. Was just going to use the stock "crab" distributor to keep things simple and the cost down. I certainly appreciate the offer though!! If things change I will let you know. I assume you will be at LARS this year? If so I will be looking forward to seeing you again. Give you Grandfather my best! Happy Holidays and see ya soon.;)

24. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Hey Mike, sorry I have not been here in a while. Thanks for the reply, yeah it is pretty amazing that I travelled all the way over from the UK and found them. I'm still looking for any information that may be out there on Sam Comstock. Thanks again for your reply and making this fantastic thread happen!
    Happy New Year to you.

Stogy and woodiemike like this.
  25. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Awesome History.

Thanks,

jim

Cyclone Kevin and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

63fdsnr, Lil'Alb, The 39 guy and 6 others like this.
  27. oj

oj

Stogy, thanks for bringing this thread back up with a great photo of whats its all about. perfect.

28. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cyclone Kevin, oj and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@woodiemike, good to hear from you...

@ford51convert never posted a pic of his old Hotrod on El Mirage and I thought I'd see if I could find it and share it...

I spent a couple hours scouring through your Thread and the Old Hotrod Thread by the late Rockerhead trying to find Ray Fox's Roadster which in the 40s would have been owned by someone not known at this time...that is what we're trying to determine...

20220225_141945.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/late-‘40s-t-hot-rod-found.1256939/page-2

This was just unearthed recently and is now in the hands of Hamber @FlyinA...

While I came up dry going through the Thread the pics and interactions within were just as fun as the first time I visited it many years ago...as many mentioned one of the Hambs must see Threads that never loses it's luster...

How's the Hotrod Coming along?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  30. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good hearing from ya @Stogy. Hope all is well with you and yours. And thanks for the bump on the thread. It's like visiting an old friend again!! As always it's my hope that it will give everybody inspiration, information and knowledge to keep this great hobby of ours going strong. As for my project it's been a lot of fun building it with my Son, Grandson, and Granddaughter. Like all projects there were a lot of up's and down's. At the moment we are fighting the flathead "gremlins'. Have about three hours on the motor breakin and street time, and now the oil pressure is going stupid on me. Starting up goes to 50psi but then drops to 5psi within seconds.!? Not sure what happened? So far have just checked the easy stuff. Got another gauge, changed the line, and checked the pressure valve. At this point I'm going to have to drop the pan and see what I can see. Not really looking forward to this.:mad: IMG_8588.JPG IMG_8590.JPG