Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Reintroduction - Greg Stokes from New Zealand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Stokes, Aug 11, 2016.

1. In July we visited John Mearns and learnt of his ACME road trips he posts on here and it urged me to get back online here after at least a year may be more away from the HAMB

I've worked for various magazines but for the past three years I've worked at Mac's Speed Shop building hot rods

Here's my roadster alongside my partner Tania's 36
    [​IMG]

And from the rear
    [​IMG]

And with the solids
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    anthony myrick, charleyw, hfh and 7 others like this.
  2. brady1929

brady1929

Welcome back. Nice roadster.

Greg Stokes likes this.
  3. Welcome back.

Greg Stokes likes this.
  4. Here's a big hug for ya Greg!!! Love the roadster, with either set of wheels.How about some pics of the cars you have done lately?? Tim

Greg Stokes likes this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Welcome back!

Greg Stokes likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like you had a great time up here. When you get home please keep us updated on the T touring progress.

Greg Stokes likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And from the rear

Greg, I can't put into words what this angle shot does to me, that and the classic E.T./Halibrand combo, this photo should be in Websters under hot rod.
    I completely disconnected you from this roadster, maybe because you have been absent from the HAMB a bit; or I am just getting foggy in my old age.
    Being a hiboy deuce roadster nut (and owner), back when I first saw your roadster; it about sucked my eyeballs out of my head, that is just my normal reaction I guess when "everything is right with the world".
    Between seeing your car again and your excellent road trip/event coverage; you got me fired up to start working on mine again.

Greg Stokes likes this.
  8. WOW thank you. I really don't know how to best reply to this but thank you so very much for your compliments towards my car. We all do this for so many different reasons but personally I just built a car which I feel constitutes a timeless hiboy roadster. To get feedback such as yours or other comments of a similar vein only adds icing to the cake.

Moriarity likes this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sorry Greg, Not to Hijack your thread but Tim is Soooo correct on the shot of your roadster from the 3/4 rear shot. In my opinion I think its the best angle to shoot a hot rod, It really shows off the rake and tire combo. Again sorry to Hijack your thread with my Junk. IMG_0127.JPG IMG_0743.JPG

10. kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  11. Tim, kidcampbell71 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. Great to see you back here Greg.
    So did you keep the T?

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow Greg, that was quick, thanks;)

14. Thanks
    I sold the tub but have another one and some other T parts thanks

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DDDenny, your a sucker for nice ass

Chavezk21 and Tim like this.
  16. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Greg - Glad to have you back on the HAMB. I always appreciated your contributions and enjoyed meeting you at the SEMA show a few years back. Please, don't fade away again.

John

Greg Stokes likes this.
  17. We are off to the GNRS next week - first time for me and we are looking forward to it. I’ve been asked to join the judging team for AMBR also.

. [​IMG]

Anyway, this is me and Tania - if you see us at GNRS please don’t hesitate to say hi

Thanks,

Greg
    GMS Hot Rods

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Our next Roadster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

bitchin, love the W motor!!

Greg Stokes likes this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

Did you lengthen the frame to fit that engine without cutting the firewall?

21. No - the front crossmember is pushed forward one inch.

22. IMG_5165.JPG IMG_5294.JPG

Henry at Steadfast has been a big influence so it’s been great to get the fenders on!

23. We are delighted to have a new shirt design thanks to John Sticha and his father LJ from 32percenter.com. This new design honours the all new and under construction Brookville bodied full fendered GMS roadster. Prices are in USD - men’s T shirts or ladies v-neck $20 each (NZD$30) - men’s or ladies long sleeve shirts $35 each (NZD$45) and unisex zip up hoodies are $50 each (NZD$65). Note these are all in US dollars - please PM me for PayPal and shipping info. These are printed on high quality Gildan apparel and we are taking pre orders now for pre Christmas delivery.

GMS_Fendered-Roadster_T_NZ.jpeg

Max Gearhead and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. After nine months I got my yellow roadster going again with my 57 Corvette 283 engine and finally fitted the Stewart Warner tach I’ve had for years.

IMG_8274.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

59720345551__167A2EDB-0F46-489F-8E35-4C4AD6F56A57.JPG

59720346487__15E58785-72DE-4F3A-A8A7-FE4CE3FBEEB8.JPG

IMG_8504.JPG

chryslerfan55, cactus1 and Moriarity like this.
  25. Merry Christmas to all our clients, suppliers, Facebook & Instagram followers and all those you support and believe in what we are doing at GMS Hot Rods. The second year has been exciting, rewarding and productive. We are still flat out and leading in to an equally exciting and enjoyable 2020. We wish you all a very safe and fun festive season and thank you again for your business and your support. Merry Christmas and best wishes from Greg, Tania and Luna

IMG_8755.JPG

26. Happy New Year and New Decade to all. Remembering those who have past away and thinking of those with health, mental health and any other issues they face. May the new year and new decade be a better one for all

IMG_8920.JPG

j hansen and rod1 like this.
  27. And to all of you also !

Greg Stokes likes this.
  28. From the USA to New Zealand - from Gary Kessler to the late Pete Dore to me Greg Stokes. The pictures of the Kessler roadster have struck a chord with me as there’s a wee connection to my own car.

Pictured here is the late Pete Dore roadster from New Zealand. He was a mentor to me with his shop in the late eighties/early nineties. He was inspired by the Kessler roadster when he built his. I remember a small photo of it stapled to Pete’s wall as inspiration. Pete told me he met Gary at a Street Rod Nationals years ago when he visited the USA.

Pete passed away in 2004. In 2010 I finished my Roadster which was inspired by riding in Pete’s when I was a kid. So when I see the Kessler car I’m reminded of this connection. These stories of these influences are what I love so much about hot rodding. Of course I was also inspired by the roadsters of Dennis Kyle, Barry Lobeck and Pete Chapouris.

IMG_9012.JPG IMG_8897.JPG IMG_8865.JPG

j hansen likes this.
  29. GNRS bound - please see Tania or me at the show for GMS apparel.

We are delighted to have a new shirt design thanks to John Sticha and his father LJ from 32percenter.com. This new design honours the all new and under construction Brookville bodied full fendered GMS roadster. Prices are in USD - men’s T shirts or ladies v-neck $20 each (NZD$30) - men’s or ladies long sleeve shirts $35 each (NZD$45) and unisex zip up hoodies are $50 each (NZD$65). Note these are all in US dollars - please PM me for PayPal and shipping info.

IMG_9226.JPG