Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods YOUR FIRST ENGINE SWAP?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 8, 2019.

1. CME1

CME1

In 1959 I traded 4ea winter tires (sawdust) and wheels for a 1946 Ford Coupe, it had a broken engine, but the rest of the car was good. I bought a 1950 Ford business coupe which was in bad shape, but the engine was good for $20.00. I with the help of a friend, swapped the engines. Bad one out of the '46, good one out of the '50 and into the '46 and down the road we went! Sold the '46 Ford a short time later. And on to the next one!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1959, I was 16 years old and replaced the tired flathead in my '50 Ford with a '56 Chev 265. Had lots of help from my Dad.
    Jim

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. glrbird

glrbird

At 16, first truck a 57 ford and a 60 Pontiac 389 engine trans and rear end. A friend made engine mounts for it. That thing would boil the tires.

bchctybob, Old wolf and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

1979, I still have the truck, and most of the parts of this engine, but a different big block is in it now. I was 17.

1979396dist.jpg 1979396done.jpg 1979396under.jpg

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

My first engine swap, a 12 hp motor in my buddies cushman scooter. Car related a 283 in a friends 50 chevy.

Montana1, low budget and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Helped and had help to change and swap several in my youth but I was probably in my 30s before I ever changed or swapped any alone.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. By the time I actually swapped an engine, I had replaced several in school buses and pickup trucks. My first “swap” was a 350 into a 1981 El Camino that had a 229 V-6. Eventually I started drag racing the car and pulled the engine and transmission out and put it in my Nova. The El Camino got a 307 bored to 4” with a 350 crank and my Mom actually drove it for a good while until we bought her a cherry 1985 Suburban. The El Camino got a crate motor and I cruised it for awhile until the Suburban engine got tired, swapped engines between the two and sold the El Camino. Had the El Camino for close to 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

first one was a OT 2.0 and 5 speed in place of an OT 1.6 and 4 speed in my OT Datsun HOT ROD pickup. did 17.7 @77MPH in the quarter after that.:)

put a 2.0 Datsun motor is a 20's Olds touring once. that was interesting.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. pulled the Y block boat Anchor from a 56 ford and installed a 300 Hp 352 FE that I took out of my moms 59 ford. Never got caught.

10. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Oh, that car... My first engine swap was in 1976 into my first legal street car. 1966 Falcon that was a 6 cylinder car. My sister crashed her ‘69 Grand Prix Model J and the parts car that fixed hers gave up the 428 and turbo 400 transmission that found their way into the car. Welded driveshaft was crude as were the mounts but that car would murder a set of tires in a weekend with the welded spiders in the 8” ford rear end. Cherry bomb mufflers, no tail pipes, no bumper and a black hood.

It was crude, it was scary to drive fast and we had a lot of fun till the cops took exception to the drag strip starting line in the street out front of the house and the old man pulled the plug on the whole show.

I might have a pic of the car but nothing of the swap.

Cliff Ramsdell
    1633C7F2-07A6-4DF9-A754-16B3AB2712C7.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  11. prpmmp

prpmmp

A boat load of talent at such a young age on this Forum!!! With that said I got nothin!! Pete

Montana1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. 48jeep

48jeep

1965, I had worked all summer and saved enough money to swap a motor into the 1948 Jeep station wagon that my dad used to drive. He had already had a 232 V8 Studebaker put in it but it was pretty tired. We found a 259 four barrel Studebaker motor in an El Paso wrecking yard and hauled it home. My friend and I used the chain hoist suspended from a beam in the garage to pull the old 232. We used cotton rope to attach to the engine and about halfway out the ropes started popping. That was a scary moment. We eventually found some chain and finished it up. Had a lot of fun with that Jeep.

Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

First engine build was at 31 and it was a 427 bbc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. sunbeam

sunbeam

303 Olds in a 40 ford. was the first then a 221 v8 in a 60 falcon , 241 dodge in a 53 f100 a 426 hemi in a 56 bird and a 2000 pinto in a 67 alpine and later a 347 in the car a 350 in a Isuzu PU I don't consider a 270 dodge in my T a swap.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Defining 'swap' as something other than removing and replacing with a like engine......It was 1961, I was 17, and my first was stripping a donor '51 Chrysler New Yorker of it's 331 hemi and fluid drive trans, then installing same in my '53 Plymouth convertible. The mass of the Chrysler powertrain was just too much for a clean install.

However, with several compromises, I did get it in there and running/driving. But I soon (very soon) realized it was a 'mess' and I yanked it out and re-installed the original 6 cylinder engine and manual trans.

However, it was a great learning experience and I was not sorry I attempted it. A few months later, my best friend who also had a '53 Plymouth ragtop, blew his engine. This time, a '55 Dodge hemi was selected.....much more compatible size and weight wise and did not have the notorious early Chrysler extended bell housing. That turned out to be a very satisfactory swap (in hindsight really not much different than a stock '53/'54 Dodge) and was driven for several years after.

While I went on to do several swaps over the years since, the most unusual was on the heels of the swap just above. My friends Dad had an old Studebaker pickup ('49 as I recall) with a sour engine. He also had a decent running '48 Chevy. Seeing what we had done with his son's car, he asked if the Chevy 6 engine could be installed in his Studie. "Well, lets try it and see what happens" was my reply. The swap went remarkably well, and only took a few days to have it up and running. If anyone wants to replicate that, PM me, I still remember (most of) what it took :D

Ray

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

Back in my early teens (14 & 15) I helped a lot of the local dirt track racers swap the motors in their dirt track cars. I was sort of a bike riding helping hand to several local racers.
    When I was 17, the low miles 350 in my 69 Buick mysteriously had an issue. My dad picked up another low mileage 350 from a wrecked Buick GTS. That one had no oil pressure. A week later he helped me swap in another 350. By the end of the summer (and the end of the payments on the Buick) that 3rd 350 was having some issues. I made that last payment and traded it in.
    I ended up doing several engine and trans exchanges after hours when I worked at the gas station (most were set up by my boss).
    After I got out of school a couple buddies and myself started dirt track racing. That started a whole career of creative swapping on both the dirt track cars (mine and other's), and customer street cars to fund my racing habit. I was pretty hard core Mopar by that time. Swapping one size Mopar motor in place of a different size motor was pretty common place. I put several Mopar engines in different brands of vehicles as well.

One of those was a cousin's Chevy truck. He was on the 3rd or 4th small block Chevy and was crying about how they kept breaking. I told him I had a motor he couldn't break, and the deal was on. I swapped in a 318 and the 727 that was attached to it that came out of a Dodge truck. It wasn't very pretty, but it was in there well. He beat on that Chevy truck with the 318 in it for 3 or 4 years, trying everything he could think of trying to kill it, but it just kept going. At some point the truck just gave up from the abuse, but the 318 still purred like a kitten. As far as I know he swapped that 318 into at lest 2 more non-Dodge trucks before it was finally wore out and was using too much oil, but it didn't break. Gene

17. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Age 16. 396 into a 55' Chevy 2 door sedan.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. first swap in a street car was a 1960 Sunbeam Alpine. Guy gave it to me cause he blew the motor. I read about the Tiger, figured I could stuff a V8 in it, so I did. I had a 427bbc laying around, powerglide, and a winters qc. Biggest problem I had was it didn't fit. 4hrs with a smoke wrench, some random steel and a bit of welding and it fit. Steering was a problem, solved it with a super speedway steering rack and a shitload of ujoints. Used 68 Olds tornado rims to get the rear tires closer to being legal. Alpine had wire wheels so I was stuck with the front brakes, but the rear had discs so it kinda stopped. It was ill handling, loud, rough riding and wouldn't pass tech at any track. But with 6:88s, it was quick between stoplights and that's all I cared about. When I was thru having my fun I yanked the motor, tranny, rearend and steering rack and scrapped the rest.

HOTRODPRIMER and Hnstray like this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I put a 231 Buick V6 in a 78 Toyota pickup along with a Saginaw 4 speed. Looked like it came that way......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. 317.jpg Pulled the 283/powerglide, put in a 327/4-peed that I rebuilt. First engine rebuild-instant boat anchor. Managed to crack more piston rings than anything, learned about ridge reamers though! I was 17 and my younger brother and I did the swap in the corner of his girlfriends garage with some 2x4's in the rafters and a borrowed come-along. Fun!!:D:cool:

Tickety Boo and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

My First Swap Was A 331 Fire Power In A 1940 Ford Standard Coupe (1965) And The Coupe Is Gone... IMG_0125.jpg

22. aaggie

aaggie

First swap I was about a month from graduating from High School and bought a really rusty '40 Ford coupe from the local junk yard along with a 303 Olds engine that didn't run. I had collected a starter changeover bell housing and a '39 floor shift transmission and homemade engine mounts.
    I borrowed a few tools and talked my best friend into working all weekend to help and actually got it all bolted together. The engine turned out to be worn out and the only way to get it started was to tow it with a rope until it finally fired up. Driving it back to the garage and trying to keep it running was a challenge and when we parked it the oil pressure was at "0", the water temp was pegged and it spun a main bearing and seized solid.
    I was as heartbroke as a kid can get but it was a life lesson that I have never forgot. The war in Viet Nam was cranking up and I figured I would get drafted so I joined the Navy after graduation. I had sold the coupe to my friend that had helped put it together and he parked it in his Mom's back yard and left for Army bootcamp. I don't know what ever happened to the coupe or my friend.

HOTRODPRIMER, LOU WELLS and bchctybob like this.
  23. I remember in 1964 at 9 yrs. old, I helped my Dad and his brother swap out an oil burning 235 and put in a 283 in our '59 Chebbie Wagon. We also put in a "Spark-O-Matic" shifter on the floor.

I even got to drive it out the driveway and park it in the street! :eek::D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Read your post last night and thought, I've really haven't done any thing radical so why post? But this morning I woke up and thought what the heck! First would be an L6 to V8 in a 55 Chevy for a neighbor. Yep, nothing radical but there are a few little things that needed changes to either work or reach. Speaking of reach. This I'll put into radical because of the screw up. 32 Ford Pickup when I took over project for my girlfriend. It has an after market frame with trans mount located to far back for reasons I don't know per manufacture. Well, that made for where the motor was going to sit after it becomes coupled to the trans. So here this 32 mocked up with a cut firewall, drive shaft that has clearance issues. Anyway's all the correcting that I've been doing is a lot like a full blown engine swap. Everything had to be addressed. Even the firewall but in the reverse.o_O

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I did a few R and R's (Removal and Replace) in the late 60's and 70's. My first swap was a 1959 Ford F-250 pickup. Somewhere around 1983, I borrowed this truck to move a couple loads of dirt. It was in the back of his hoard and we had to pull start it (there is a theme here...).

He got a promotion which involved a temporary move cross country. The good vehicles got put into storage and he gave me the title to this truck. In 1986, I got divorced, lost a lot, got to keep the the F-250 and the 15 year old son.

The Y-block was tired, burned oil and generally worn out (a tuneup involved putting the pistons back in the original holes LOL).

Over the next couple of years, I got back on my feet and looked for an engine. I found a Chevy small block in a school bus. The folks had driven it cross country and were living in it. $300, More for the 5 speed manual trans...

Passed on the big trans, bought an Chevy > Ford adapter bellhousing (Transadapt brand?) and after market motor mounts. This engine was so worn out, we had to pull start it (I guess I had a $100 core motor and made a $200 contribution to old Red's hip operation...)

Had the engine rebuilt and drove it for several years. The 15 year old was now in his early 20's, freshly divorced and needing wheels to deliver pizza. I titled it over to him. After a few weeks, he traded it for something with twice the gas mileage. It went through at least 2 more owners before I lost track of it (last known owner traded it for a motorcycle...).

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. I did a swap back in the Day, My Farther gave me a Woody Station wagon
    it had a Straight 6 that was a little Tired & I Put a GMC 6 in it.
    I drove the wagon to the Junk yard I unbolted everything
    He took the old engine out & Put the New one in
    and worked on it so I could Drive it Home.
    I have to tell you a Chevy. 6 & a Gmc 6 are a little Diff.
    as far as Length goes & and the Fact that I had
    the 2 front fenders & inner ones off to do the Swap.
    I drove the wagon around for quite awhile before
    Replaced the Fenders!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. bchctybob

bchctybob

My first swap was a junkyard 324 Olds & Hydro into a junkyard ‘56 Chevy 150 that also got the rear end moved forward 8” or so. That ended when I found a ‘47 Ford business coupe. The Olds went into the Ford and the Chevy went back to the junkyard. That was ‘67 or so, I was 17.
    The next was a 396 Chevy into a ‘33 Ford 5w. Next was a 292 Chevy into an ‘49 Austin 4dr. Then a 327 into a ‘65 MGB. (My dad taught me about HP/Weight ratios) Then a 390 FE into a ‘53 F100 (gotta have a parts chaser) Then a 427 bbc in a ‘32 5w. Then a 350 in a Jag Mk II, a 350 into an Austin Healey 100-4. Then a 454 bbc into my ‘50 Stude pu.
    Fast forward; I pulled the 283 outa my ‘28 high boy to install a 324 Olds & a Hydro and I’m putting a 425 Nailhead into our ‘33 pu.
    There’s probably a few more but I don’t remember, I’ve done some I don’t consider swaps and done some for other people, the strangest of which was a 354 Hemi/TF into a ‘55 Chevy and a 327/4 spd into an Alfa Romeo Giullietta Spyder. It seems I just can’t stop myself.....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lumpy 63, Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. 1941coupe

1941coupe

mine was a 55 nomad pulled a nice running 265 w/ cast iron powerglide replaced it with a 327 4 speed,the 265 was picked up buy a junk man ,that was 1966

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flathead, '39 box, juice brakes, my freeway "Flyer". MY FIRST PICKUP 1931 MODEL A V8.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I was in high school and managed to get a 55 Chevy convertible. I managed to get a 348 Chevy that was in a 55 Ford that we had crashed into a tree after the two of us drank a couple quarts of beer. My father was so happy that I joined the Army he had tears in his eyes.

Hnstray, HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.