Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting Headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Nov 8, 2019.

1. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I have a set of ceramic coated headers and would like to paint them. What's a good qaulity paint that won't discolor or fade? Would it be best to powder coat them? Any prep work needed? Been told it's best to heat them up prior to painting.

loveoftiki likes this.
  2. trollst

trollst

I use stove paint, not bbq paint, but genuine stove paint, my last paint job on my headers lasted ten years before needing attention, I gave them a light sanding and repainted them last year, still good looking.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VHT "Flameproof" is one I've had good luck with. Is the ceramic coating bad on yours, or do you have some other reason for wanting to paint them?

Powder coating is not an option, it will melt if put on headers.

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the headers on my old coupe done with Cerakote " . It is the coating used on firearms. It is an air dry product. My headers were done in a flat silver color. I had 3 years on them with no discoloration or peeling.
    This picture is from the third year with the coating
    [​IMG]

catdad49, dan31 and egads like this.

5. We do Powder Coating at work, after seeing the process and the finial product I would never suggest having anything that is going to be exposed to extreme conditions Powder Coated .

hrm2k likes this.
  6. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

They're new headers. Just wanted to paint them white so it'll pop under the hood. Blue engine and black engine bay with painted headers make it stand out. Not so bland.

7. If there ceramic coated why would you paint them? I’m assuming they are silver now? That’s a maintenance free coating...once ya paint them you’ll be fighting chips, discoloration, etc..is rather have nice silver ceramic coated headers...but that’s just my opinion