Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Random Look Back...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 25, 2019.

1. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Kind of a neat story about that photo... It was colorized by Rikster. Here's the original:

[​IMG]

The guy on the far right is my grandfather... JB Cochran... and the guy on the far left is Jessie Selmon - father of Lee Roy, Lucious, and Dewey Selmon. All three of them played football at OU as well as in the NFL. In fact, Lee Roy is in the NFL Hall of Fame and is pretty well known as one hell of a guy.

I have no idea who the guy in the middle is, but he was tall as hell. My grandfather was 6'4" and Jessie was taller than him, so... 6'6"? In 1941 or so?

Hank37, loudbang, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  3. That picture is rad

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. ... wow ! Being a daily visitor here ... I would have loved to have known this in 2003. I hung out with Lee Roy Selmon, Willie Lanier ... and the black guy from The Practice ... Steve Harris.

Story also involves Terry Bradshaw, and Mike Ditka ... but by all means, my most attention that day, was Lee Roy and Willie. Sat with me, for two hours. Lots of water, one Coke, some eats, and lots of gabbing. Two very humble men. Such an honor.

Anyways ... had I known your connection ... I would have been over the moon, reporting back to you. Unbelievable ...

loudbang, Sancho and Stogy like this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pitman, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. My computer assumed room temperature a few weeks ago my kid, the computer guru took it over to his house to attempt to revive it...he had to put a new brain in it and in so doing he was able to find all my photos strewn all over inside that thing. He put 'em all in one folder so I can now find photos I haven't seen in years! Some are still un-named and just have a scan number. Those are the most fun to open! Never know what I'll find... Some are images of fun in K.C with you, Kevin Lee and the other K.C. dudes and our cars...fun city! How 'bout one from 2004? kc04ryanscar.jpg

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That was the best day ever.

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a Car Club Plaque on the the Caddy Custom in the Garage...;)...You had to be a fighter to get through those days and to many the Dirty Thirties were real Dirty...

I remember @Ryan explaining the History of his Elders with this pic elsewhere and they lived Fast and Hard for sure...and the other tidbits and connections even better...I will have to say some of Grandfather's influence has moved on through the Roots...;)

Thanks Ryan, I'm glad that tweaked the Heart a Bit...
    I felt that Spirit Myself doing the mods to the image...the photo itself as said so well captured and the provenance...;)

Another story of the Family Garage below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=35741

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  9. bbobster

bbobster
    from Oklahoma

Great shot of Doc behind the wheel! I'm sure that car would quit before he would! Miss him.

loudbang likes this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ryan,

Nice story on the accumulation of wealth (of sorts). Everyone has their own family history, however long or short. So, that accumulation of stuff is usually organized, as best as it possibly could for the next generation. KUDOS to you for at least saving all of the family photos, your writings and ideas on an external hard drive or two. If anyone is serious to save a little of their own history, that is the only way to do it safely.
    upload_2019-10-2_3-30-30.png 1-4 TB SOLID STATE upload_2019-10-2_3-31-41.png 1-4TB ULTRA SLIM upload_2019-10-2_3-32-3.png 1-6 TB DESKTOP
    Know when to grab the small hard drives and flee is what it is made for, in these times. When that hurricane is fast approaching, everything is replaceable, but memories, photos/films, and home files are not. Well, the home files are to prove what you had for estimated re-evaluation, etc. and for family history preservation.

In your case, thank you for setting a great example of having a “back up” situation for all of the HAMB guys/girls. Hopefully, they will learn from the past incidents and take care of their own history. In any case, in an emergency, it is a lot easier to carry a small (or two) portable solid state flash drives instead of 15 family photo albums, under your arms, that have been collecting dust for the past several years or perhaps, generations.

Now, as far as organizing those massive files… I have been contemplating just a “mass copy and paste” the whole thing into one big file labeled “NAK’S STUFF 2019” for the stuff I create(d) this year. It sure is easier to just copy and place it in that folder for now. I will be telling myself that I will come back to it, to specifically put it where it belongs (smaller specific folders) when I have the time. That is the easy way out. When do I find the time, with all of the future jobs found or created all around the old house and families?

Case in point: After my wife’s dad passed away last year, I had photos, films, service notes, old family gathering photos all ready organized and processed. They were ready to send to all of the relatives scattered across So Cal and the rest of the USA. (I knew from my family’s passing that photos and files tend to get boxed up…out of sight, in those “afterwards” times. It was the case of out of sight, out of mind…for now.) It was on a flash drive specifically designated for that purpose.

But, the memories still linger for my wife and her sister, so we are holding off from sending the collection to everyone. I am sure they are waiting for the information as he was the father, grand father and great grandfather of the whole lot of us still hanging around. So, it got stashed in one folder in the 2019 category to be called up for use later, “when it is time”…so I was told by my wife.

Jnaki

So, in the meantime, I have been slowly deleting files my files and duplicates those that were quickly copied and stuck in a folder for later use. It is a good feeling to get those duplicates finalized and the copies deleted. Now, on to my own history…that is another thing I tell myself that is to be organized in chronological order in one folder. There are massive writings and photos in another and so on…so the clean up is starting, but is very slow to the point of …I can do it later…syndrome popping up quickly.

If we were to move on to the next era, what does the rest of the family see and say when the massive files are there? Going through desk drawers, file folders, suitcases, and these days, computer files, is a little daunting as far as organizing. Luckily, my son and granddaughter are “computer saavy” as well as knowing how to organize and hit the DELETE button. For them, it will take plenty of time to get all of our stuff organized for normal viewing… But, then we will be smiling/crying and looking down, as they plunder through all of the remaining stuff.. from that “Nak’s Stuff 2019” massive folder.

It was a nice story and grouping of photos, but back to the regularly scheduled clean up in aisle 4…

Attached Files:

11. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks...Keep 'em coming!

12. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Good memories. My wife and danced under that sign when we were younger at its former location.

13. LOL I will trade you a crosley body for that coupe. :D

@Kevin Lee you should have the day that this pic was snapped burned deeply into your memory. This would make a good story for you to tell. ;)

[​IMG]

Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Jay71

Jay71

Lee Pratt was already hero status but knowing he wrenches in flip flops just elevates him even more.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Mart

Mart

I recognise the green 40 tudor. Now owned by Dan here in the UK.

Great set of photos.