Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Perils of the Classifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fred A, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Shopping from the classifieds is risky enough but when the program is configured to limit comment from someone spotting something bogus and commenting on it, well? What are we to do? A very poor option is to follow instructions and get sent off to the contact tutorial. There about thirty examples of options, none vaguely meeting my need to post the tough question. I might have been interested in a proper winfield carb but noticed that the two major components, the float bown and the throttle were not from the same type of carb. In 1930 the model S used reservoirs to control the enrichment on acceleratrion. Later the Model SR introduced a vacuum operated pump to enrich the fuel ratio. The pump won't squirt through the S throttle. So the parts don't mix well and serious functions of the carb are lost. At $700 the downside loss to an unknowing buyer who may not discover that they paid a silly price. Caviat might give the buyer a break but... The discription contained a threat to take it to the Bay, but I may counter that the buyer should have more protection from bogus offerings there.. Be cautious out here! Fred A

slack and stillrunners like this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who's classifieds?
    Here?
    Is there not a report button for all posts, including ads? With the opportunity... actually a requirement... to State the reason for the report.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's why you have to know what you're doing when you shop. Ask questions of the seller, and if not happy with the answer, don't go any further. You can't take care of all the other folks ...

4. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

You can click on his user ID and start a conversation with the seller.A few sellers on this site don't know or incorrectly describe their item.I mainly am into the early V8 Ford parts.I have notified the seller in hopes of helping correct his description.For the most part I get a thank you.
    On another note, many do not post pictures which is frustrating as the buyer needs to ask and that can sometimes take time.

flatford39 and 302GMC like this.

5. The OP starts out talking about ''the classifieds''.
    But it's actually complaining about Ebay.
    This one's going down.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

What is the Bay? Ebay?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ...........I think the ad poster was threatening to send the item to E-bay, Steve, if it didn't sell on here.......a marketing ploy.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

One of the ads on this website is for headlight buckets that fit 49/50/51 Ford. nope. 50 and 51 are different

9. The bottom line is, "Buyer Beware" always. Do your homework if you aren't totally knowledgeable about a particular part (or car) that you are considering. Like Rickybop says, use the report button if the ad seems misleading or is a potential scam. Better safe than sorry. The moderators will sort it out. I'm sure that you (Fred A), since you've been here since 2005, remember when anyone could post a response to an ad. It was chaotic. People would post "Hey great car" or "Will you take less for that part?" Ryan did the right thing by limiting re-posts to the OP of the ad. That said, and getting back to the issue at hand, if there are discrepancies in an ad, it could be a dishonest poster or it could just be an uninformed poster. It would then be incumbent upon the potential buyer to do his due diligence by contacting the person and seeking any and all clarification before sending money........................Don.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    OLSKOOL57, Thor1, lostmind and 6 others like this.
  10. Lol. Yep.

I just want to sell the damn thing. You expect me to make myself an expert of the thing ? The thing should sell itself without me ! It's a damn thing ! If you don't like the thing, go look at someone else's thing ! Leave my thing alone ! It's a thing, I tell you ! You clearly need to educate yourself, regarding things ! Not me. This thing is for sale, only. It will not be a teaching thing.

:)

Texas57, Thor1, Tony Martino and 17 others like this.
  11. ^^^^Hilarious^^^:D:D:):D:):D:)

OLSKOOL57, Thor1, Chavezk21 and 2 others like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

I am a knowitall. I have no problem sending a PM to a seller that is misrepresenting a part. Sometimes they fix the ad, sometimes they don't.

I think everybody has bought a "wrong" part at some time or other. That's how you get to be a knowitall.

Thor1, Nostrebor, Kato Kings and 9 others like this.
  13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

^^^^^^I agree and I fully expect to be corrected if I am wrong on my items.

flatford39 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. That comment has a certain George Carlin flair, I could see and mental hear George substituting the word Sh!t for the word thing.

You just made my day! :) HRP

15. When doing business with the classifieds, be it on the hamb or any other site, e-bay, craigs list, etc being informed is a must and use common sense, make sure you know what your looking for if buying, if selling try to be informative and tell the truth.

I have had several positive experiences sell and buying cars on the hamb, I have also purchased parts but I do my homework, if the price is too cheap and the guy just joined I will avoid him like the plague. HRP

OLSKOOL57 and hotrodharry2 like this.
  16. I have been known to do that too. That said I have received information from people who did not know that they did not know then had them get mad and threaten to report me if I did not change my description. But that is not a problem either I just unfollow 'em. LOL

17. TERPU

TERPU

Ever tried Bakers Chocolate? Total misleading advertising and labeling. But I won't ever eat that shit again. Know the difference it's all on you. IT can't be where two Fools met.

- Tim

belair, 62rebel, egads and 2 others like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This will not be a learning experience.
    LOL
    I think they're all learning experiences.

George Carlin...
    Rampant bullshit.
    Stunning bullshit.
    LOL

belair and TERPU like this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sorting nuts and bolts.
    My "favorite" thing.
    You guys are hilarious.
    Thanks for breaking up my day.

lothiandon1940 and TERPU like this.
  20. Lots of sellers don't have a clue what they're selling. The buyer had better be smarter than the seller.

slack, belair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yep. Just report it after trying to correct the mistake with the seller.
    It will be removed if you’re correct.

Rickybop likes this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

It depends on the price. If you are clueless on something you list, and list it under market value, I'll buy it, pack it well, I'll be happy. Bob

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I forgot to mention to always make an effort with the seller first.
    Thanks, PJ.

Petejoe likes this.
  24. Funny...I've contacted a few sellers to make an effort to "update" them on the product they are selling - not that I was interested in the item as much but just trying to correct maybe a year mistake or so. Tonight I found a car that was listed here locally a few months back - that was really a mess of parts - that was being sold by one of the area's big flipper's - evidently the new owner has already found out the car is a collection of parts and is looking to get some of his money back....left a message..........it's out of state now but he does mention the rust free state of Texas in his ad...rust free it isn't and most likely it wasn't from around here as well.......

25. X-cpe

X-cpe

Does that mean you don't charge for it?

62rebel likes this.
  26. 62rebel

62rebel

Yep, any rust you find is yours, free of charge

27. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You cant expect a seller to be a walking Hollander. Therefore you need to educate yourself on what you are buying. This is just part of working on old cars. Knowledge is power.
    If you spend your life researching and studying 32 Ford 3 Window coupes and find an original glove box door listed for sale as a 39 Plymouth for $5, do you correct the seller and then pay him the $500 that it's worth? Or do you simply say you'll take it and pay him the $5?

tractorguy, lostmind, 62rebel and 2 others like this.
  28. TERPU

TERPU

Buying stuff on any classified add is like asking for a date in Thailand. You better be damn sure your sure before you wander off with your purchase. Posting for a friend

williebill likes this.
  29. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Sorry to see that so few out here share my concern with dishonest offerings. Much of what I read is apology or excuses for such sellers. When I decided to build my car in the Winfield tradition, I didn't yet know quite enough and let my money cut a path through the lies that seem so condoned. This is where we see offerings wrapped in irrelevant descriptions such as SCTA, 1932 Duce, Rat Rod and beyond. Just buzz words guiding the imagiation those that also don't know quite enough. Now that I've become a virtual "Hollander ", I've no respect for cobbled together misfits riding the tails and price of people selling the good stuff. We need to protect our investments. Good Luck: Fred A

joel likes this.
  30. "We need to protect our investments. Good Luck: Fred A"

Yup...and that's exactly why we arm ourselves with knowledge as we sort through the things that interest us in the classifieds. As has already been said here...if you see something you believe to be wrong, hit the "report" button.

TrailerTrashToo and The37Kid like this.