Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What’s up with the new 85 mph speed limits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Nov 6, 2019.

1. scoop

scoop

I thought it was 90/10 haha.

427 sleeper, j-jock and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Most Interstates in the South are 70 MPH speed limits which means most are running 80 plus. My 60 Pontiac with a 400 and a 2004R turns 2000 rpms at 80 MPH. Can run 80 MPH all day long without breaking a sweat.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    dana barlow, saltflats and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Same here.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. 73RR

73RR

Not long back I made a trip through Wyoming and had 18 wheelers chasing me at 80....

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. A few years ago when Dad went to the Sturgis Rally every year, I would run I-90 across South Dakota at 90. The only reason I didn’t go faster was I that I was afraid of burning up a trailer wheel bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

My '57 just cruises right along, never been on a tow truck or trailer. I would just sit back and listen to the radio but I don't have one. For all you Hot Rod Chevy guys, just beware of the valley's UPC's. (unmarked police cars).:);)

Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

My avatar car will do about 115 max- of course it has 5.14 gears in it

9. 85 ain’t fast enough...It’s a long way across South Dakota and not much to look at. I know a guy that drives linehaul semi every night from Rapid City to Sioux Falls and back. Company truck and is governed at 64 mph . Imagine doing that every day.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I must be the only pokey guy on here. I'm the slow guy in the right lane. Even in my daily...65-70 max. If I'm pulling my camper, 60 tops! Don't have time to be in a hurry.

11. Top speed on the big island 55.

flatheadpete likes this.
  12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My sister's trucking co has governors on all theirs at about 65. They do on time delivery. No hurry, just stay on time.

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. LAROKE

LAROKE

My O/T Caddy will do 189 but I'll never see that.

chevy57dude and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. 62rebel

62rebel

They put the instructions right on the back of a "Dodge"....

wingnutz and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. 6sally6

6sally6

Yeah but......3.2 beer!
    6sally6

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Some idiot in a OT corvette was clocked at 192mph last week in Washington State. I have 3:50's in my 1955 Chevy. I have a 3:00 which I could install but it would play hell on performance, but make cruising at 80 easier on the motor.

Deuces likes this.
  17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The problem with 85mph is it takes too long to stop...and that makes it a longer walk back to pick up parts that have fallen off my Hot Rod.:eek:

18. The last semi I drove was a Pete with a 475 HP cat engine. 13 speed had about a million and a half miles on it. Vibration in 13th gear. So I drove it in 12th which is direct drive. 57 MPH. got a average of 7 MPG . it was heavy weighed 36 thousand empty. I drove over 350 thousand miles at 57 MPH. Didn't bother me at all.

Truckdoctor Andy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I saw 154 in my ‘70 Challenger on 580 once coming back from a wedding... didn’t realize I was going that fast until the shift light came on in top gear... :eek:

not sure about the model A roadster, it only had a functioning water temp and gas gauge but I’ve gone reallly fast in it... no windshield, no wind resistance and centrifugal supercharged 283 with a 2.76 rear and 30” tires... :cool:

raven and Budget36 like this.
  20. 62rebel

62rebel

Ah, the days of the severely regulated 55mph speed limit..... tried driving 55 lately? Seems like you are sitting still. And I rarely get past 70....

Texas57 likes this.
  21. KenC

KenC

Not any more! We get the real stuff now. And even buy wine in grocery stores. Just like the big boys.

Deuces likes this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

Cue Sammy....

raven likes this.
  23. Mine is governed at 67.... Scariest times trying to pass another truck governed at 66 but he's not loaded and can maintain his speed going up the hills!
    Sent from my LM-V405 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old wolf likes this.
  24. After 63 years and I never heard that one! Hahahaha

25. My Model A Roadster with the highway gears in the Quickchange showed 154 on the GPS and climbing going to Mokan HAMB drags.

Greg was in the car with me as we sped past Louverdudes 54 Chevy that was doing over 90!

Great speed until something goes wrong ... Slowed down quite a bit when I saw the windshield glass bend!

Tim, raven, A Boner and 1 other person like this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I used to be a leadfoot, not so much anymore. I worked for a guy for about 11 years, we had Macks that would bury the needle, and he paid the tickets, so you know how we all drove! I got so many tickets in one year they threatened to take my license away, I slowed down some. Ever since I've been out on my own, every truck I've had were set up that way, too, but I don't get but about 2-3 over the posted limit anymore. I had to come to the realization that my livelihood was my drivers license, and I had to protect it in order to make a living. Oh, I'll still punch one down and run it up for a few seconds, but I'm aware of where I'm at when I do it. Had my current Freightshaker up to 98, and had the OT Vette we had up to around 145 once. Now days, I set my cruise +2 or +3 mph over the limit, 70 on the big roads around here, pass some, get passed by others, Smokey Bear never looks at me as I'm with the flow of traffic.

27. cometman98006

cometman98006

the fastest speed limit I've seen were in remote Arizona and Utah. Went on road trip with my daily driver a 2013 Jaguar XF all wheel drive with a supercharged V6 and I believe the speed limit was 85 mph (could have been 80). I was cruising at 90 mph or more and had no problem with the law. Averaged 28 miles per Gallon and wish my truck could get half of that.

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yawn..

29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Nope! They messed that up, strong beer now!I hated it when they did that ! I’m a beer drinker and like to drink beer! Twenty cans, no problem..... untill they changed the 3.2 beer! Now it’s strong beer, so I’m down to 12 cans! I drink beer because I like beer! If I want to get drunk, I drink Jim Beam!

Bones

30. Yeah..Wyoming, 1995. We just bought a new '95 Lincoln Mark VIII. We lived in Colorado Springs, and decided to take it for a break in drive up to Deadwood area to see Mt Rushmore. On the way back in Wy., we got on a newly paved wide 2 lane highway, straight as an arrow, smooth as silk. We're driving along and I glanced down at the speedometer. I had no idea we were doing 95. Decided to see if the 140 mph speedometer went that high for a reason. I had read those cars would do 187 (clocked at Bonneville with the governor off and tires borrowed from a 'vette). Got it up to 135, could still feel it accelerating, when I noticed two pickup trucks pulling on to the highway about a mile ahead. I took my foot off the gas and slowed to about 110 steady. Never did catch those two pickups. That trip was the inspiration for my OT drivetrain in my avatar. It's never seen 100, and probably won't while I'm driving it, but it cruises great at 75-80 all day.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    dana barlow likes this.