Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake question!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DougMac, Oct 31, 2019.

1. DougMac

DougMac

Surprisingly, with little to no stroke inside the MC, the car will stop...... it just takes a ton of effort. I’m putting the MC back in the car and bleeding the brakes tonight again.... I pulled the hubs to check the pads, but didn’t check the cylinder movement. I will tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. If it stops then they are moving. Based on this I would say you either need more mechanical advantage, pedal ratio or a smaller bore master, which will have more pedal travel and increase pressure

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Baumi and DougMac like this.
  3. nobby

nobby

does the exhaust run close to the mc

4. DougMac

DougMac

Yes sir, but it has for years without any problem. It’s a brand new MC as well.

5. It’s not a heat issue if it was boiling it would have a spongy pedal or it it was heating up it may cause a brake drag, none of which is happening here

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. How about laying out the history over the last 35 years then. Cause to me reading the long story longer the latest PO had the same brake issues. Either he inherited them from the next to last PO or they developed there.

7. DougMac

DougMac

We sold the car in 1994. It had a couple of owners after that. The car is a great driver. It’s been from Texas to the LARS and back. There is almost 30,000 miles on the car since 1994. The last owner had it for about 12 years. He passed away and the man’s widow let it sit.... without the top or hood on (according to the amount of dust, leaves, and pine straw inside the cab and on top of the air cleaner. She decides to sell the car and of course it will not start. She has a “shade tree” mechanic get the car running. He also replaces the MC and starts playing with the brakes. This is where the story ends and I pick the car up. I replaced the rear drum brake cylinders last night and bled the brakes. The pedal feels a little better! If the rain will hold off, I’m going for a drive this afternoon to see if that helped. Here are a couple of pics of this very unique car..... this is after a major cleaning. I took my wife to prom in this car. Excited to have the car back!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Wow!!!
    So sitting is the absolute worst thing for any mechanical thing.
    If that absolutely bitching car were mine I’d dismount the entire brake system and just redo it. Brake fluid sucks moisture and moisture corrodes and eats at the moving parts.
    You could rebuild it in a weekend for s few hundred bucks. That car deserves it.

Jet96 likes this.
  9. DougMac

DougMac

Thanks! I’m just about there already. I reworked the brake pedal to insure 6:1, pulled and checked the new master cylinder, replaced brake cylinders in the back drums. The shoes look great, but I may go ahead and replace them on all 4 corners.
    By the way..... we built a 31 Vic. No Hemi, but a Buick Grand National V6. It was on 32 rails with a 32 grill. Electric hood, sunroof, digital gauges, polished stainless exhaust. Really cool car. Thanks for the continued advice. I’ll let you know what I find out.

10. DougMac

DougMac

Brakes are fixed!

The overall culprit were the rear drum brake cylinders. I bought a pair for $14 last night and replaced the old ones. Bled brakes until I was pumping fresh brake fluid. Apparently the old ones were working just enough to push the pads, but not enough to fully work.

Thank you guys for your help!

David Gersic likes this.
  11. DougMac

DougMac

Sir.... your the winner. At the end of the day, this is EXACTLY what I found in my car. I bought 2 new brake cylinders for $13.86 and installed them last night. After bleeding the brakes, the pedal felt normal, not hard. I ended up coming home early from work and taking it around the block a couple of times in the rain! It will lock all 4 corners up if you stand on it and normal breaking is easy now. Thank you for the great advice.

12. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

1- 1/16" is too big.

13. DougMac

DougMac

No sir.... not for this application. Smaller stroke would be better, but this works great.