Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Humble Rumble: An A on A Rails.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It's clearly a carefully built car. Everything lines up, it works visually rather than looking like a pile of unrelated stuff (a key to the ratrod aesthetic), and it seems to be ready to drive.
    I would guess it was photographed as soon as it became self propelled. And that it was very likely the kid's entire auto budget, responsible for getting him to school or work...
    This has been the way many rods have been built until very modern times, in which rodding and transportation have become estranged.
    I drove my '48 through school no matter what, and fixed things up as time and money appeared...I rarely got the fixes very far ahead of the disintegration as I learned mechanics on a car with 230,000 k on it. Later, everyone seemed to be driving a '55 Chevy, with modifications and upgrades done as reality allowed, then it was '67 Camaros...again, transportation proceeding slowly towards a dream involving shiny paint, super duper engine, upholstery, etc.
    Paint was always on everyone's agenda though not necessarily on the budget.
    I think the combination driver/project has pretty well disappeared...rodders of all sorts now drive a late model, and the rod doesn't leave the garage until goals have been met.

jimgoetz, volvobrynk and patmanta like this.
  2. I like both... the A on top has a lot more space in the cockpit but the channeled ones give it a 60's vibe that I like since I was introduced to Hot Rods via my neighbors channeled Roadster... it's been a toss-up until I saw Midwest Fabs new rails... best of both worlds!

3. A Boner

A Boner

Their new mandrel formed rails are really slick. Jeff is going to burn out their tig, better get your rails before he toasts the tig!

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not to get too off topic, but this hardly seems possible! 2 people riding in one of these already feels like a can of sardines.[/QUOTE]

When the center passenger is a cute young female, I don't mind the sardine effect!!! Matter of fact, I'd say it's quite welcome.

Squablow likes this.
  5. The Life cover is Awesome with the dual carbed banger... wish I could get more details on that build!

When I was that age I weighed 154 pounds and my girlfriend was 105... today I'm almost the combination of both of us!

But the shots of ten kids on a Roadster back then was probably only 1,000 lbs.

6. Just found this thread. I was thinking this EXACT same thing!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Youre damn right: Heres my 29 A on A with 39 Flatty. Although I run with trimmed 30/31 aprons.

29 Roadster Hotrod – Kopi.jpg 29 Roadster Hotrod.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    joeycarpunk likes this.
  8. @Cyclone Kevin Hey Kevin, post #22 should interest you. Maybe more ... "but only the Shadow knows". :)

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx KC,
    Clem’s Hot Rod hangin on University In San Diego. Doc tells me that he worked at a Machine Shop on the side of the street that the roadster is parked on.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. It does look like it,but he"s sitting next to Hillary Clinton...…..

11. A Boner

A Boner

image.png image.png image.png image.png "A" on "A" frame.....keep it going.