Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's a good electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Nov 6, 2019.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looking to run an electric fuel pump on my current project.. Not looking for a super expensive pump, just a dependable one for a stock V8 motor.. Haven't used one in a long time and do you need to carry a spare when using electric pumps??? Thanks for any input....

2. I have a Carter electric pump on my 52 dodge with a stock 230 flathead 6. Still 6 volt. It's been on the car for about 3 or 4 years now. I do carry a spare with just in case. I got it at my local O'reillys

41 C28 likes this.
  3. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

4. 5280A2

5280A2

I use and like Airtex pumps. There are several models available for either six or twelve volts, they're reasonably priced, and they can be purchased direct from Airtex on line. Here's two 12-volt models:

Airtex E8016 12 volt 30 GPH 2.5-4.5 psi
    Airtex E8012 12 volt 30 GPH 5-9 psi

scrap metal 48 likes this.

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm going to need a electric pump on my Model A when I get back to working on it and the Airtex pump looks interesting. Is it a "rotary" pump, meaning does it use an impeller to pump? The older electric pumps I've had in the past have maybe been a solenoid "plunger" pump, I think? They made a clicking sound when pumping which seems to be more moving parts than really necessary.

Lynn

6. I have been using Carter electric Fuel Pumps for about 50 year's
    and they are Rotor Pumps.!
    I have used them in Racing and reg. Street Rod's & they Work Great.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

7. squirrel

squirrel

The rotary vane type pumps generally have more moving parts (if it's like a Holley pump, with individual metal impeller blades), I think.

How big is this stock V8 motor? It might be fine with a small clicker pump. It might want something more?

I prefer a mechanical pump if it's possible to make it fit, and perhaps add a fuel return line, if you can get a pump with a return fitting on it.

If you are going on long trips, a replacement electric pump is a good idea. They seem to fail. Although I don't think the failure rate is much higher than with mechanical pumps--it just seems to be that electric pumps fail completely, and mechanical pumps usually get you home, from my experience.

I haven't had good luck with Carter rotary pumps, but lots of others have.

8. Carter 12 volt pump, on my second pump in 30 years . First one was a used pump that lasted 15 years. Also pump is not noisy can't hear it when driving.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Has anyone used Facet pumps from Napa?? They say they're made in USA.. They also say wiring them correctly and using a relay makes a big difference in longevity...

Truckdoctor Andy and LTM75110 like this.
  10. wicarnut

wicarnut

I'm running the small capacity 6/8# clicker type pump with a regulator on a stock 350, works fine, But from my previous experience with electric fuel pumps I do carry a spare pump of same type so when/ if it fails I can change out and get back on road.

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

Agreed....vane pumps have a lot going on. I'm more thinking of a rotary pump that just uses an impeller to move and slightly pressurize the fuel. Think an impeller maybe similar to a tiny turbo. Maybe it wouldn't be efficient from a electrical draw standpoint? Even 15-20 GPH @ 2-4 PSI would supply enough fuel in many cases.

Lynn

12. squirrel

squirrel

A vane pump is positive displacement, and likely has a bypass pressure regulator built in. I know the Holley pumps do. Lots of parts to go wonky.

Early EFI in tank pumps have a rubber (?) vane, it's only one part. I don't know if there are other low pressure motorized pumps that use this design? Also I don't know if they still make them like this, I haven't been keeping up with technology.

270dodge likes this.
  13. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

No matter what pump you decide on you should also install a fuel regulator to control psi and isolator mounts to quiet down the pump.

14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Make sure you get the right psi.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have used them for 20+ years with only one failure. The failure was my fault for not changing the fuel filter sooner.

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

17. Country Joe

Country Joe

Obviously, be sure to mount the electric pump close to the tank. I bought a car that had the pump mounted midway in the system. It gave me fits until someone straightened me out on how to mount the electric units.

Frankie47 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  18. Larry, I have used a couple in the past, one was on a '39 Ford Convertible the other on a '40 Ford Sedan and both were Carters, I never had a problem with ether one. HRP

19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

X's 2 on Airtex. I have one on my model a. Lifetime warranty too!

20. I have been running pulse type pumps in my older cars. One of the pumps is a Bendix, that has been working faithfully for 50 years, an the other ones are cheaper import pumps, one of which has been working well for approximately 10 years.
    I have had two pump failures in 50 years of using electric pumps. One was from what I think was damage or corrosion from water in the tank, and the other was an electrical failure.
    From my experience, I think they are worth the investment. I don't think it would be a bad idea to carry a spare, if you are doing a lot of highway driving.
    This type of pump works best mounted as a pusher, that is , as close to the tank as possible. However, I do have one that is mounted low in the engine compartment of an o/t 454 powered truck, and it works great.
    There are two sizes of line, and if you are running a hotter engine, you will probably need the one with the larger 3/8ths fittings.
    Bob

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Factor in noise level over low price also.

22. I have a Facet pump on my 1953 International and it works great. It has been on the truck for 3-4 years and doesn’t over power the Rochester B carburetor.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. You might want to make sure the pump you select will not be eaten up by E-10/E-15 fuel. I use a Carter marine grade pump....good for just about anything you can buy to fuel your car.

24. Second on the Carter P4070. Rotary vane style, with internal bypass and regulated to 4-6 psi so they work with most carburetors. Have used them on several vehicles over the years, no problems.

25. Mimilan

Mimilan

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Rich B. and scrap metal 48 like this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Carter centrifugal on my F100, 12 years now. But it's plumbed 8" from the tank, 5/16" line into an '80s BMW fuel filter, (3.5" diameter X 7" length) then hard line to inline filter just before Edelbrock 600.
    Later Vortek block has NO push rod bore for manual pump. (damn it!)
    But it's been very reliable, maybe partway 'down'...on its half-life!

s55mercury66 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  27. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I to have had good luck with the Carter P4070.
    Jim

Just Gary and scrap metal 48 like this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not the NAPA brand, but I’ve used Facet, Purolater, and MrGasket brands of the same pumps for years, only had one quit. Used a low pressure one on my lawnmower and generator, and a standard pressure on everything from V6’s to a 460V8. Much quieter than vane rotary style pumps, I usually mount them on a strip of rubber close to the tank, below the fuel level to keep it primed, but I have ran one for a short time on the firewall as a puller, it worked fine. I’ve never put one on a relay, no more amps than they pull didn’t figure it was necessary.

29. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I initially installed a "Mr. Gasket" pump. It didn't last long, so I replaced it with an "Edelbrock" pump. I've had no problem since.

30. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

X2

Just Gary and scrap metal 48 like this.