Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Good online tool source?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I am looking for a set of 3/8th drive deep sockets in both SAE and metric. I want 6 point, can't decipher enough through Home Depot, and locally can only find 12 point.
    Don't need high dollar tool truck items, just quality that was around back in the day.

Who do you use?

I might add, reason I want online is I go back to work tomorrow on night shift, have too many things to do to drive around looking for tools I need for when I get off my shift.

Just want them waiting for me when I get home;)

2. Look into tekton,
    they have great reviews and you can find some kits on amazon.

Truckdoctor Andy and Nostrebor like this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Inasmuch as I was 'in the trade' and actively charging thru the Tool Trucks (Snap-On, Mac, and Belzer) most of my 'go-to' tools are of high standards...actively buying since 1957, retired in 2015. Still buy...LOL
    BUT! Working on daughter's Honda... Arrrghhh! I was forced to buy some sockets.
    Sears was still open then, (Merced) so Wife Joey and I took a trip down there...Deeps in 3/8" drive, SAE & Metric, 6 point OR 12 point. Moderately priced, good quality, and the socket size is 'branded' on the sides of sockets, quite visible. Perfect for my black portable Harbor Freight 5-drawer roller.

There's a parts house that carries a line of sockets ("Gear Wrench" brand, like the ratcheting geared wrenches at the box ends) Merced, Ca., on V Street at 16th. Next door to the "R-Bar". (Ex 'Del's Auto Parts' store)
    I've seen these sockets on the internet "Northern Tool". Inexpensive, good quality.

Rich B. likes this.
  4. Try Lowes. They carry the NEW Craftsman, made in the USA tools, with the old time guarantee, you break it, they replace it. Or Lowes own brand " Kobalt "

nochop likes this.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

If I had to purchase a tool new I would still go with Craftsman. I buy most of my tools at local auctions though. When a tool has lasted 40 plus years it's likely going to continue to last.

6. Budget36

Budget36

I saw online that HD carried that brand, never heard of it....good to know

7. Budget36

Budget36

Too much of a drive to merceed with time available, blown head gaskets, other ride needs to be smogged for the kid to get to work on Thursday morning, but a trip to Merced and a stop off at your place to shoot the shit might be do-able;)

8. Budget36

Budget36

That's good news, didn't know Lowes carried Craftsmen, and didn't know they were now made in the USA. Thanks

Cosmo49 likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

See. didn't know Craftsmen was still a good tool, I've many of them in the boxes. The reply ahead of your's says theye are now being made in the US again, that's good news.

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Your NOT going to find tools the quality of those made back in the day as that was when all tools were made in the USA. Now any reasonably priced tools are made in China and India.

das858 likes this.
  11. The majority of the hand tools are not made in the US and almost all the tools that that are are made with Global materials.

https://www.craftsman.com/whereitsmade

12. EVERY Craftsman I have seen recently is USA made. Stamped on each piece.

Ben

13. Budget36

Budget36

I'm not so much looking for reasonably priced, but even 30+ years ago, Say Craftsmen was a better value than SnapOn, Cornwell, Matco, etc. Sure, we home wrenchers had to run to Sears, ect, to replace, but as a home wrencher, I'd never have a SnapOn/etc., truck check in on me weekly.

I'm thinking of things used to buy at the HW store, Great Neck...grr, mind is aging here, but tools like that. Not ones to make a living with...heck, I've some sockets and wrenches that are so worn, they make good metric tools;)

HD used to carry Huskey, they were good tools when Sears started another line of tools.

14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Also voting Tekton. I've been slowly buying tools for my son and everything we've bought from Tekton has been very high quality for the cash outlay.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. mickeyc

mickeyc

16. mickeyc

mickeyc

Tektons about us site states, -10% China, 15% U.S.
    75% Taiwan.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a bunch of Tekton stuff. Totally pleased.

For special stuff, I buy Snap On, from eBay, with "owner's marks". The tool collectors, who are driving up prices don't want tools with someone else's name on them.

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have a lifetime collection of Craftsman tools, they still warranty stuff you break misusing so thats my first suggestion. My second is Harbor Freight, I have bought some of their stuff in later years and the quality is acceptable for a hobbyist IMO, the prices are low to say the least. Tools are like most things, you tend to get what you pay for, If you are in the trade, buy the best, if you are a hobbyist you have many choices today.

firstinsteele likes this.
  19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

20. Budget36

Budget36

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  21. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

My Lowe’s store said they will warranty the Craftman tools so long as the model number is the same as they stock. If not, they give yo a address to send them to. Not a sure match up. I hope it is easy because I have several ratchets to return.

22. You’ll love that 90 tooth ratchet for tight spots.
    Oh yeah and no skipped sizes who would have thought

das858 likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I actually looked at HF...would have been more there for a set of deep sockets only, in both SAE and metric, the kit you linked me to also had shallow ones in both, plus the ratchet, (looks to be a 3 in extension) and swivel.

Dang, can't beat that with a hard stick;)

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've been getting some Titan tools from northern tool. Been pretty happy with them I'm sure they are from China. I just looked up there store locations I guess they won't do you much good in California

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  25. Budget36

Budget36

Back in the pre-internet days, I bought a lot of stuff from Northern, building go karts, log splitters, etc. In fact just called them a week or so back looking for a diff axle for a Kart a friend is building and nothing listed online, seems they don't carry them anymore. Anyways, still a few karts around here with their stuff in them, an a 36ton logsplitter that can squeez the sap out of anything;)

26. Since you asked.......All of my stuff at work is 80% Old Craftsman, 15% Mac, 5% SnapOn. However, I’ve been buying a ton of Tekton. Very reasonably priced, free shipping, no skipped sizes in sets, and if you break something, email them a picture and they send you one out. Sure, most of it is made in Taiwan, but you’d be surprised how much Mac and Snap Off stuff is now imported. Another great thing about Tekton, they sell individual sockets, wrenches, etc. Sears used to call that “Open Stock”. Geezz, I’m showing my age. I blame the “damn kids” I gotta work with.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wicarnut likes this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

Well, I'll have the set here Friday that Vickey linked me too, I'll put them to the test on Monday...hammering them on some old exhaust bolts and nuts.

Ya know, I used to 2 or 3 of everything, guess when I pass on, somebody will find them.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  28. sunbeam

sunbeam

It used to be Northern hydraulic now they go by Northern tool they still have a catalog just check on the internet.