Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do not use Broadway Title Service

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigkev56, Apr 21, 2011.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Actually, you buy the bond through your insurance company. It cost a portion ($20 per $1,000) of the car's "wholesale" value x 1.5. On a $9,000 wholesale appraisal, the bond cost $270.

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I wonder how many years the State of Illinois will be going back checking pre 48 titles. Do you think the State of Illinois has complete records going back more than a few years? Sounds to me like a big fishing expedition, and the catch of the day is our pocket book. Stu

3. rixrex

rixrex

I'm a little confused..did you send Broadway your VIN number and they sent you back Alabama paperwork using your VIN number?..Texas still (I think, its been ten years since I used them) recognizes Alabama bill of sale paperwork, at least from International Title Service, which uses your VIN number..

4. russd

russd

alabama,,,,, same state that stole my vin...

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

California is giving a 'Grace Period" for those that used a title company or bought a title. My buddy had a T-bucket, which he bought a title for and a Zipper that he used a title company. He freaked out when California announced they were going to start revoking titles. The end of last year, he had both inspected my CHP and new vin numbers issued. Went to DMV the first of the year and got new titles. He said it was pretty painless.

6. bigkev56

bigkev56

Yes I Sent VIN # BIG KEV.

7. roadapple49

roadapple49
    from nc

i used them 10 years ago for a 57 chevy and 4 years ago for a 56 ford truck and last year for a jeep scrambler and had no problems. got the title back in two weeks and have had the cars registered in north carolina since. i thought they were great.

8. Jamoke

Jamoke

They have done this to 1000s in IL been going on for at least the last 2 years . This is why I will never plate a car or title with IL If dont screw you this way that will get you on the tax they send you a letter months latter after title transfer saying you didnt pay enough tax on the car and what $1000 of dollars more

9. damnfingers

damnfingers

Mississippi is pretty easy to title a car in also. Two bill of sales will get you a title...got any relatives living there?

10. JEM

JEM

Wow, another thread resurrection...this kind of titling caused Californians a whole lot of grief a few years back, too...think they especially went after the Cobra builders.

11. Move to CT. They don't use titles just bill of sale.:cool: All you need is alot of extra money to pay your taxes:eek: just so you can drive on thier bad roads:rolleyes:

ted kovacs likes this.
  12. big M

big M

That's exactly what happened-Someone at the Cailfornia state DMV wondered why a particular firm was registering so many '66 Fords with Alabama titles, and it was discovered they were building kit Cobras worth much, much, more than the $500 or so in value that was being claimed. The state claimed because of this, large sums of taxes were not being paid where they should have.
    Other states began to follow suit, seeking a chance to get back lost revenue, leading to these kinds of paperwork messes.

---John

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Sell it to a buddy out of state return the tags wait a couple months and buy it back. then it will have a new title from a different state. might be worth a try you would be out some money for title changes tho.

14. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

And by sell i mean just get the title transfered dont actually let the car go.

15. bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Resurrecting an OLD thread because I have a '69 Bronco without a title. I live in Texas, and I can get a bonded title here, but I'd rather have a regular non-bonded title. Anyway, it looks like Broadway title may still be in business, but operating out of Maine -- https://broadwaytitle.com/how.htm. And their prices have gone WAY up - now $895. However, if they can get me a legitimate title for that, I'll do it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

16. belair

belair

bonded title is no big deal. after a couple of years, you get a proper, "normal" title. Might make selling the vehicle in the meantime difficult, tho.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  17. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Boy, you guys have it easy with a piece of paper in your hands....try titling a assembled from parts (ASPT) car in Florida. I haven't been successful with the one shown on the left yet.

18. killbilly

killbilly

Illinois State motto..."Welcome to Illinois...Whats In Your Wallet?"

19. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

After reading these kinds of posts, I will never touch a rig that doesn't have a title with a legit matching VIN.

XXL__, TrailerTrashToo and 5window like this.
  20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Maybe, just maybe, that is how your state does it. But there so much misinformation about bonded titles it is sad.

A “Bonded Title” is NOT the same thing as “Branded Title”. There are no markings on a bonded title. The title is, from time of issue, a valid ownership document and is fully transferable should the owner choose to sell the vehicle. There are no strings attached.

Where the Bond comes into play is IF a prior owner, within the three year window, makes a claim that the car is his. Upon satisfying the State that issued the Bonded title, the Bond amount is paid to the Claimant as compensation for his ‘loss’. That was the purpose of the appraisal up front...to establish the Bond value to be forfeited in the event a prior owner files a claim.

I am telling you this information as a multiple bonded title applicant/recipient, not hearsay.

Ray

21. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I wonder if you say you run a garage and obtain "Repair" plates. I could never understand the difference between a title for a car and the current registration for a car. They both have the same information but the issuing dates are different. The title is usually issued to the first owners when the car is delivered from the dealership and from there on a transfer of title is given to the next owners of the vehicle. They should spend their time tracking down people who steel these cars instead of causing grief to those who own the cars.
    And that is all I am going to say on that!!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

the guys in Louisiana show the car to a state trooper and ask for an Affidavit of Physical Inspection, (they look for stolen cars), Take that paper and proof of Insurance next door to the DMV. Write on a piece of paper---I am a member of an organized car club--- and tell them you want to register the car. Give'em a value of the car so you pay taxes. Louisiana residents get the title in the mail in less than 10 days.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated in previous pages a Broadway title raises BIG RED FLAGS in a number of states and some will not accept them at all.
    The Bonded title won't cost more than their fees unless you place an excessive value on the car. Or if you are titling a car that is finished that you have a lot of money in. The bond usually lasts for three years and at the end of three years you can get a regular title.

The only time a bonded title is even going to come into play is IF someone shows up with the original title to the vehicle and claims that it was stolen from them or a relative. Even then they would have to prove that that was the last and actual title to the car and that would require a search of state archives to show that the vehicle had never been sold or that no one had filed "lost title" on it. I've got the old title to my truck that had belonged to my uncle for years that was replaced at one time when they filed for a lost title. It is a nice artifact but would quickly be shown as not being a valid title if someone tried to transfer it. That is a good and valid reason not to buy an old title from a title peddler too. I've been helping one of my friends sort out the stack of old titles to vehicles that passed though her husband, who is one of my best friends who is now in a nursing home and trying to figure out if they go to an actual vehicle or if they went to something that he scrapped years ago.

24. belair

belair

I agree, Ray. After the three years, there is no problem. My main thought was that during the time you own the car, (hoping the other shoe does not drop), selling it to another party may be difficult, (something the OP did NOT bring up, but I wondered about), as they are now potentially going to be the one left holding the bag. And yes, personal experience trumps all assumptions and heresay.

25. Vote early and often as well

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Mr48chev and @belair

I think there is still a misunderstanding here. The new ‘owner’ (the one who applied for and got, a ‘bonded title’) is the legal OWNER......free and clear of any prior owner claims. He can keep the vehicle or sell it the day he receives the title and either way there is NO risk to him or a buyer. This idea that “after three years the bonded title will be replaced by a regular title” is just not the case. The title issued through the bonding process IS the title to the vehicle. It will not be replaced....no need to replace it..it is NOT a ‘conditional title’.

The ‘three year period’ is the period during which the State will consider claims of prior ownership, which if validated, result in the claimant receiving the proceeds of the bond....NOT THE VEHICLE. After the three year time period (in effect, a Statute of Limitation) specified by the State no prior ownership claims will be considered by the State and the bond has expired. The only liability during that three year period is to the Bonding company......it is no more than a type of insurance policy the State requires to compensate the former owner, should one appear.

Ray

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  27. belair

belair

I should've known that. Thanks.

28. RodStRace

RodStRace

bulletpruf likes this.
  29. manyolcars

manyolcars

How do they do it in Arkansas?

30. RodStRace