Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod wheel cylinders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eldeano, Nov 6, 2019.

1. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Here we go again. Has anyone replaced the wheel cylinders from the 37-48 Ford bendix brake kit from speedway motors? The replacement cylinders are from a 1970's Ford 2WD pickup and most likely cross over to other Ford vehicles from the 70's era. Speedway is of no help. The wheel cylinders for 37-48 from speedway or many other suppliers are NOT the correct part. The cylinders need to be the 70's truck one's with the long pins. I'm hoping to find someone who has replaced these and has a part number. I am asking a very specific question. PLEASE do not clutter up the thread with offhand comments that do nothing to answer the question.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

675323AC-9378-422C-9084-500844ACA2FA.jpeg 7B022AD9-CE49-458E-AAB5-44D3619D6CDD.jpeg

Photos may not be accurate.

If your drum size is the same pretty much any ford vehicle of that general year range will be the same wheel cylinder.

3. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Tim thank you! There were two or three different bore sizes. For various reasons i can't take the one's off the car before having the new ones at hand so can't simply measure the bore's. The shoes on my application are the 12 x 2 inch. I will check into your information. GREATLY appreciated!

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

They generally stock that stuff at Napa as its super common so I wouldn’t be afraid of getting the wrong ones, if you tear it apart to swap them and they are wrong they should either have the correct ones to exchange or have them shortly. Very very common part

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Also what part number is the kit you have. I can figure out the bore size for you this afternoon most likely

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  6. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Rear kit w/ e-brake 91065440
    Front kit 91065420
    All have same wheel cylinder other than inlet position.
    Inlet 7/16 x 20 straight thread.
    Inlets all face rear of vehicle so need two of each (right vs left)
    Bleeder in the middle.
    Thanks again! I may finally be getting somewhere.

7. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Tim - looks like the one's you quoted have a 3/8 x 24 inlet. The devil is in the details. Yes it's a common part - with several configurations! Anything more you can help with would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise i may have to spend some time with the parts guy to nail it down. Thanks again for your help.

8. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Tim - Napa part # UP13369 looks good. 7/16 x 20 inlet. Middle bleeder. Bore 1-1/16" (although i don't know if that bore size matches the speedway part without measuring) He said this part was for a 56 Pontiac if i remember right. Just throwing this out there...

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I would say your bore should be around 1 1/4 because that matches the 46 era master cylinder bore size.

I haven’t found any confirmation about what’s in the kit right now but that’s what I would assume it would come with or something very close to that. Hopefully that helps.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Also if you go online generally speedways web site has a fuck ton more info than the catalogs offer.

11. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

I need to match a 70's Ford truck part because that's what comes in the kit. not a part from the 40's. Also the web site is no help. The tech even tried to sell me a 37 to 48 Ford wheel cylinder that won't work because it's not compatible with the shoes. Gotta have the long pins. Even when the Q&A section tells folks to buy the 70's truck part. That's what people run into with this stuff. Major headache to replace a part they don't sell from their kit and they can't even specify the correct vehicle for a parts guy. Fucking stupid.

12. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I'm curious about your pin comment. If you are referring to the pins from the wheel cylinder to the shoes, they just pull out and push back into the new cylinders. If you look at the pictures above, you see that there are no pins and they do not come with the cylinders.

13. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Exactly. Thats why a 37 to 48 Ford cylinder wont work. The pins are built into the outer seal. they are much shorter and not removable. I will find the correct cylinder but it will take more fuckery than i ever expected. The napa part is on the right track. It's becoming obvious i will have to remove one - measure things and take it to the parts store. PITA

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think they are using the 70’s wheel cylinders because they are going to be easier to find than stock ones.

So I would assume if they basically retro fitted later wheel cylinders into more or less stock brakes that they would make them applicable to the stock master that would have gone with that brake set up.

I know what your working with I didn’t get confused.

Also the reason they don’t sell them separately or have a part number is that most of there kits come with all the hardware together from one supplier so they just have a number for the bag that included the cylinders and hoses or whatever and not individual part numbers for the pieces in the bag.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Just like I said in your other thread about this exact same subject, you DO NOT have 37 to 48 Ford style brakes. Just mentioning that these brakes are meant to retrofit a 37 to 48 Ford is confusing the people who are here to help you.

You basically have repro Lincoln brakes.

If you can pop a wheel and drum off the car (should take ten minutes) you can probably see the part number cast into the cylinder you are replacing. Then you will know the EXACT part you need to find.

KJSR likes this.
  16. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I have a set of repo Lincoln front brakes that came with wheel cylinders that have a Raybestos #wc7537 for one side. My research shows it fits several different vehicles including mid 60s Chevy trucks and several Cadillacs
    They fit fine, I did research to get the brake lines that fit.

17. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

i was just providing the information from the speedway site. the kit is called a 37-48 ford bendix brake kit regardless of what it "really" is and stating that it is a speedway kit should alleviate any confusion. i am aware of and understand what the kit is. these parts did not come with a master so the master bore size while important from a technical perspective is a completely different issue. i noticed you using the term "i assume". if i've learned anything over the years it's to never assume anything! A good example is assuming speedway would be able to tell me what part i needed. the vehicle is driveable even with the slow cylinder leaks and needs to remain so if at all possible that is why i was simply looking to find someone who had a part number instead of taking one off. the part number is not visible unless removed. i realize at this point i am going to have to remove a cylinder to take to the parts store or to read a part number. none of this is an excuse for the supplier not to have better information even if the kit comes assembled or in a bag. if a person needs to replace a part the supplier should either carry the part or be able to tell the customer exactly what the part is. this is a good example of a big supplier selling mass produced parts and they have no idea what they even are. i realize this type of scenerio will come up in the world of hot rodding so in the end i'm not surprised. i appreciate your time taken to discuss. when i find the correct cylinders i will post the part numbers in hopes that it will help the next guy.

18. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Bill - thanks. I will look into it!

19. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Bill - that cylinder looks very promising. Correct inlet size and bleeder/inlet configuration. I will confirm bore size. I appreciate the info!

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

What you need to do when you find the correct part number is to post it here and then go to the website, find the brake kit you have and leave a review - not a ranting one just a review- that says what the part number is.

A lot of the time if my question isn’t answered on the web page I can scroll down and someone’s mentioned it in either the QA or in a review.

21. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Tim i intend to. As i said the Q&A under the brake kit only mentioned "70's Ford truck". Too many possibilities with that and it looks like i may end up with something totally different. Although i do understand that there are surely dozens of cylinders with different part numbers that are exactly the same! None of that matters though. As long as ONE of them that works is noted for others guidance. Again thanks to you guys for helping.

Tim likes this.
  22. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I am not sure which side it is, I threw away the other box. Shouldn’t be hard to figure out.