Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Roger Penske just bought Indy speedways

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Nov 4, 2019.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And truck rentals:p

2. tjm73

tjm73

Well, once you own something you can do whatever you damn well please with it. Hopefully he doesn't run it in the ground. I haven't watched an Indy race is decades. Just not interested. Make it a race of naturally aspirated V8 open wheel cars, even if they are slower, and I'll pay attention.

scotty t likes this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just a wishful dream, but it sure would be nice if dirt cars were once again part of The Championship Trail.

Speedwrench likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just Gary likes this.
  5. derbydad276

derbydad276

Indy cars are traditional ?

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Pre 1966 :p

7. I remember Vicari, colorful jackets he preferred... The 1/2 mile was part of the 3-track series, OCFS, Flemington and of course Nazareth. The last race I saw at the 1/2 mile, Big Tom Hager won, CD Coville was hot at the time too. The facility was one of the most run-down I have ever seen. My wife asked me if the place was really open.

We know the Flemington deal, gone with the wind. I had a chance to run there in '84 but the speeds were too fast for my home-grown bomber car. I was at OCFS for the 2006 opener, it did not look open either, I was actually able to park in the fairgrounds. Car counts were wayyyyy down in all divisions and they had 3 modified divisions. My 1st time there for an opener was in '81, a cold April night, but the house was absolutely packed.

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

The man has the golden touch, he has built a huge successful conglomerate of businesses, if any one can make it go, he will, Next will be NASCAR as its been for sale for awhile. I don't have any ideas/solutions to racing attendance which is in trouble all across the board of motorsports. I Wish him luck, though I believe he's much Smarter than Lucky, unlike me, I've been saying for years, I'm Luckier than Smart LOL

Speedwrench likes this.
  9. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

This all reminds me that Eddie Rickenbacker, the World War One fighter ace once own the Indy track. So old Roger has some pretty big boots to fill.

wicarnut likes this.
  10. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

Rickenbacker is the one that let the track get so run down that it was nearly bulldozed!Admittedly it was during WWII,but the track was saved when Tony Hulman was convinced to buy it by Mauri Rose

11. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

I wonder how long it will be before Rodger knocks down the new 1/4 mile midget track they just built in the infield. We all know how he feels about dirt racing.
    Hey Bob! If you raced at Flemington I am sure I watched you. I was literally bred, born, and raised there.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:oops:.......:D

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Not sure if it is true or not, but the was an old wife's tale that floated around Indy for years that Hulman didn't actually buy the Speedway. He supposedly won it in a poker game.

wicarnut likes this.
  14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Grew up in an era when Indy was the great American tradition. Absolutely loved the legendary drivers and the stories behind their racing machines. Whe my son was 10 we drove up to Indy for a practice day. Quickly found out that all the interest was in big buck companies and special interests and the low buck fan was just an afterthought. Some guy gave me some extra tickets which were needed to enter the pit area. Took a couple steps and the guard at the entrance to the pits told me we couldn't enter because my 10 year old son was considered too young to accompany me into the pits. As I watched my son's ear to ear smile disappear, I returned the tickets to the fellow who was kind enough to give them to us. We spent the rest of the day watching qualifications and looking at all the things we were excluded from entering. Never went back and I can't even tell you the name of anyone who races an indy car these days.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  15. birdman1

birdman1

thats how people get rich, everything for the gloriuse doolar