Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are Haynes/Chilton's antiquated?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by SnakePlissken69, Oct 26, 2019.

1. SnakePlissken69

SnakePlissken69

Been looking for these books. That's how I figured out how to do everything back in the day. Are they out of print? I found old copies for my wife's 66 mustang but not for my 64 Econoline. They used to make them for everything.

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I never really cared for the generic manuals, too general usually, and not always accurate. Better than nothing, sure, but what you really want is the shop manual.

3. SnakePlissken69

SnakePlissken69

What do you mean?

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The shop manual has the detailed, specific information on what you're working on. Voltages, torque specs, clearances and quantities, jetting, all kinds of stuff.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. SnakePlissken69

SnakePlissken69

Ya that's what I used to get out of those books. It was included in The instructions.

6. The Hayes and chiton manuals
    If you where not a tech/ mechanic have you just enough information to be dangerous!!

there used to be volumes of them at the auto parts store
    Now I only see generic frame, steering, brake ones nothing car specific
    But with e-pay and goggle a manual is just a click away now

LAROKE likes this.
  7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Guy's the times are changing and so much of what used to be in books in now on line but the problem is you have to know how to use a computer to find it.

I happen to like using computers but I do not like what computers are doing to Libraries all over the country.
    Jimbo

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Get the factory manuals and you will realize what you have been missing....I have them for every vehicle I own. I have a lot of manuals

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The times have changed, though for example the shop manuals aren't generally available for download, they are still copyright pubs. Have to buy those. There is a lot of stuff available, nobody probably cares if a 65 year old document has been scanned and uploaded. Unless, somebody buys the name, as happened with (for another example) Heathkit.

I still prefer a bound printed manual in the shop as it is still faster and more convenient, easier to read, I think. I use both. Anyway the online stuff is most def. not permanent, it can and does go bye-bye with no warning.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Next to the factory manuals, the Motor's Manuals are the best. I've got them covering everything from the mid-1930's to the 60's, about one manual for every 5-years.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  11. LAROKE

LAROKE

I have factory service manuals for all my rides including my o/t Caddy ATS-V which weighs in at 9,289 pages and drives me back to the good old days of my Chevy trucks.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Try Rockauto, I found a reprinted manual for my 27 Chevy and it was under ten bucks.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Here's another voice for MOTOR's manuals. Can usually find good used ones on eBay and at garage and estate sales. Last one I bought goes to 76 I think, gave $5 for it. One cool thing about the older ones is they have a grille identification chart that helps figure out different models.

Truck64 likes this.
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

MoToRs Repair. The older manuals have a Tune-Up section that is about as good as it gets.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I used to love the old Chiltons and Motors manuals. They used to have the drawings of the model years and were so much fun to look at. ( course I am/ was weird, used to look thru the yellow pages ads for pictures of cars etc. , also looked at Sears catalogs for pics of ladies... OOPS off topic!!) But as others said the aren't very detailed, but sometimes they would show you how to do something. I see some on ebay at times. I always thought the Clymers manuals were about worthless though.

SnakePlissken69 likes this.
  16. Haynes is the newest and the worst. I got one for newer Chevy Impalas and Caprices, but it had a random diagram for a tail gate assembly on a '64 Chevy. Right there I knew they were bird cage fodder.

SnakePlissken69 likes this.
  17. Road Racer

Road Racer

Used to love the "assembly is reverse of disassembly". No kidding? Plus the fact they didn't do a good job of describing the disassembly in the first place

VANDENPLAS and Truck64 like this.