Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot rodding and car shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowbuckbuilder, Nov 5, 2019.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

My wife and I used to do a lot of shows, if one was within 100 miles, it would have been game. We don't do that anymore. I'd rather spend that entry money on gas and go for a ride.
    One of the local burger joints puts on a bi-monthly cruise in we usually hit up. I get a chance to BS with some friends. We do a selective few shows every year, one is a family weekend where both my grown kids and their children join the wife and me.
    We do like doing the WI and the ST Louis Hot Rod 100s, when we can.
    The last couple years the coupe is looking pretty rough. It might get a few updates and a repaint this winter, I'm thinking I might change the color. If it looks good, we may do a few more shows next year, or maybe not.
    We really like taking the coupe on vacation! The last 4 years we have driven it over 10,000 miles each summer. We are trying to figure out where we want to go in 2020. Gene

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Been going to cars shows since I was a kid. I will attend The Grand National Roadster Show and L.A. Roadster Show at Pomona, Riverside Show N Go, Ontario Rt. 66 Cruisin' Reunion but I also attend small local car shows out of boredom and with friends.

3. There's a weekly cruise night that's walking distance from my house. I usually only go once, maybe twice a year; there's not a whole lot to see. I appreciate that it's there, but it's very much a lawn chair affair. Not really my scene.

If you ever find yourselves in charge of one of these small town cruise-ins, please do everyone a favor and turn down the music. There's no reason that the same loop of four Jan & Dean songs needs to blast out of the speakers at 120 decibels.

Cars & coffee events are cool too, but I only go to maybe one of those a year.

For someone who has built their entire life and livelihood out of cars, I sure don't go to a lot of car shows.

4. Ziggster

Ziggster

I'm guessing a lot of the responses are related to the age of the members. Seems most are older and have done this, done that, etc. When I was in my late teens and early twenties, we attended probably a dozen car shows a year with my grandmother"s 64 Chyrsler Saratoga. It was a blast, and we learned so much about automobilia. Yes, she won many of the cheesy plastic trophies, but that wasn't the point at all. It was the journey. I'll treasure those memories until my dying days. I recently started attending shows again, and I still find it a journey of discovery, but I can understand why those with cars get tired of the same old, same old. I recently attended a charitable "car show", and it was awesome, but it was centered around a private collection of some rare cars, and mostly exotics. No cost, free stuff, short and sweet. They had a fun event where you had to push a vintage Fiat through an obstacle course. Lol.
    image.jpeg

5. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

We go to only a few larger shows. Seldom ever to the smaller ones been there done that. Times have changed, friends have passed on, it's not the same. I'd rather be driving than baking in the sun like many of you have stated.

Tri-power37 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Tired of the local cruise nights? Don't go to a LOCAL cruise night. Pick a cruise night in a town that's 1-2 hours away. Enjoy the ride. Park where you'll be able to get out when you are ready to leave. Check out cars from a different area. Maybe sit by your car for a little bit while you enjoy a hot dog. Walk around some more. Then cruise on home.

I didn't drive my car that much this year cause I'm busy with my next build. But last year I went to a lot of different cruise nights within about a 1.5hr radius of my home and only went to the same one maybe twice

7. jim snow

jim snow

This, is a great idea. Jmho. We pick one show a year to drive to and make a weekend out of it. This year it was Jalopyrama in Easton Md. We had such a great time we are probably going back next year. Snowman

8. This is a great idea. Get some miles on the car, and see different stuff than you usually do. Solid plan.

9. My 59 Apache I'm building now will have a 60s vibe from the exterior but it has more modern chassis and drivetrain because I'm gonna drive the $hit out of it. I'm kinda excited to plan some long road trips but also stop at a few small cruise nights here and there along the trip route

10. I enjoy the annul All Deuce Run, we get together and drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tall t 26, MO_JUNK, alanp561 and 7 others like this.
  11. Looks like a really great time, sad part is I don't have a Deuce, so I can never go.
    That & it's in South Carolina, a bit of a hike for a day cruise.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like the people who say they don't want to drive an hour and sit in a lawn chair then go home. not sure why a person would think they have to sit by their cars in a lawn chair at a show. that makes no sense at all. when I was young and handsome I would go to shows and not sit down at all. just walk, talk and take photos. 4-5-6 hours... now I am old and do need to sit, bit only when I'm about to drop.

seems like 10 years ago there was a bunch of HAMB friendly shows here in the Bay Area... what happened to them all? I used to go to every one.

HotRodRyan and uncleandy 65 like this.
  13. Same as most of the others. Never was one to sit at my car, when we did go. So much so, that I'd get heck from friends coming by my car, and never finding me. I go to visit old friends, and meet new ones. (Right 40ragtopdown?) I support local shows, when they are for a good cause, and don't mind an hour's drive for an hour show or cruise night, for fun.
    Last weekend of September we drove 150 miles for a Chili run, ran into friends we hadn't seen in years, went back to their place for some more catching up, then hopped in the coupe and headed home. Stopped at a historic lighthouse on Lake Huron for a look-see, then home. Twelve hour day. It's not the destination, but the journey.

throughbeingcool and jim snow like this.
  14. Hey Ratfink, is there anything going on, on November 17th or 18th? We're going to be there, before flying home on the 19th.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I guess I’m backwards, again...... I’ve only been to maybe 15 car events in my life! But I can’t count the number of motorcycle events I’ve been to. Sturgis 17 times! But after going down on the Harley two years ago, for the first time in 44 years and busting my wife and I up a little, we have started drifting to car events.
    We went to “ Robber’s Cave “ car show this year, 500/800 cars, liked it, planning on camping there all weekend next year. Been attending small local shows and runs. So..... looks like change is on the horizon for us.

Bones 6CD474C2-C789-482F-80BB-0EAE94453903.jpeg

alanp561, j3harleys and edcodesign like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    We used to go to car shows as teenagers. As the years wore on, as 20 somethings, it was a fun date and outing, as a young couple could dream about those cool hot rods and custom cars. Even driving up to northern california for the really big car shows and photo shoots. Then it was the pancake breakfasts and annual hot rod picnics that drew us like ants. But, as the shows got larger, it was more fun going to the Thursday set up days instead of the crowded Friday or Saturday night openings. Then the picnic hot rod runs started getting crowded, too, so the writing on the wall was beginning to show.
    upload_2020-1-20_4-23-3.png
    These days, the huge fairgrounds events draw most everyone, the local small town beach car shows were fun until there were so many people attending, that walking, seeing and enjoying the hot rods was bumping into someone with every step. Not enjoyable at all. We had spent our time in the hot rod world and we could see it was time to move on, while keeping a finger or toe still involved.

The photography business drew us back into the fold and what a time that was! The shows were still getting crowded, but now, every show had a special entrance for the Thursday set ups. That was the key for us. Only a few standing around each hot rod or custom. Time to talk to the owners and get a low down on the cool hot rod. That is how shows should be, but crowds means money for the sponsors and that was fine. We got out of it what we put into it.
    upload_2020-1-20_4-24-51.png

Jnaki

Recently, there is a swing to show hot rods to the general public in all sorts of events. It seems like the weekly events in So Cal are multiplying like bunnies, as the public likes the old style cars showing up for the events. Despite the numerous events all over So Cal, the main ones are getting a little overwhelming and the cool cars are the same ones showing up every Saturday morning. It used to be fun when the original Cars and Coffee events were put on in Irvine, as the cool sports cars and hot rods/customs showed up. But, that show and the next locations came to a halt due to a bunch of idiots. (Recently, even the high dollar sporty cars with idiot drivers were ruining the weekly show with their stupidity.)

Now, one of the most popular events is held weekly in Huntington Beach at a neighborhood donut shop. Word of mouth spread and now it is one of the best. We had gone there in the early years, and throughout our times cruising around. (in those early years, my wife lived in an apartment just around the next corner.) The crowds come when the weather is rather nice at 5 in the morning, but one wonders what happens when the weather is not so nice. Yes, weather affects So Cal resident’s comings and goings. It is not always nice weather, most of the time, yes, but there are some weeks that are awful. Still, there is a hard core following attending this weekly event. You just have to get up very early to drive down to the Pacific Coast.

If you can’t make the early am event there is an awful video every week with random shots of people’s backs and little organization of the rows of neat cars in attendance. But, it is the video person’s view at what he/she likes. If only there was more row by row, car by car organization, it might be fun to watch the complete video, without… “this is a 55 Chevy…” The sound also needs to be shut off, as well as using the fast forward, too. The neat thing is, there are so many events happening on Saturday morning that it is possible to attend another one when this early one starts shutting down at 8 a.m.

The popularity of hot rods comes and goes at these weekly events. Going in person is long and hectic. If one does not like crowds, a weekend cars and coffee is not the best place to be. For us, recently, two times at different venues was enough, but there were plenty of HAMB friendly hot rods and sedans to whet any appetite. There are plenty of cars at these events, but they mostly cater to the sporty car or modern sedan classes.

As a test, using photographs from reputable photographers, a ratio of sporty type cars vs hot rods is used. So, the increase of hot rods attending the events is due to the weather. If it is overcast and somewhat gloomy, the percentage goes down.

If the weather is warmer and very nice, including the blue ocean in the background, then the percentage goes up in attendance. The lowest I have found was 10 percent of all of the cars at the Saturday morning event were HAMB friendly hot rods/cruisers. Out of 150 cars, that is 15 hot rods. Some counts were up, as the weather was nicer and the participation went up to 1/4th of the cars attending were HAMB friendly and nice looking hot rods.

At last count, out of 200 cars, 25 percent were hot rods/cruisers and were HAMB friendly. So, the weather plays a big part. The event organizers keep a close watch with the help of the local police cars to keep the idiots showing off at the event. Overall, if the tastes are strictly HAMB friendly, there are plenty of quality hot rods to keep the stoke going, even if you have to wade past a ton of lowered, high dollar sporty cars.
    Bigger is not always better.

Now, If I can convince my wife that there are plenty of old hot rods and cruisers, that 9 am show might be a lot more appealing. Plus, a nice breakfast at the local restaurants in the whole shopping complex, works for us. Oh, did I say plenty of stores for shopping, too?

17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Like anything in life..you determine how pleasurable/beneficial it is to YOU.
    I go to less than a handful a year, the ones I choose are determined by the location (grass vs asphalt parking area), distance from home, people I know and hope to see, and if I've never been before.
    Sometimes they are merely a destination for a ride..not actually parking in the "show" area, but rather parking in general parking, and leaving when I feel like leaving.
    As a participant I bring the lawn chairs (practical reasons), but do far more walking around then sitting.
    They certainly can drag on, some you need to get to early, then it could be 5-7 hours later before it's over..too long!
    New cars, loud music, dogs, misbehaving kids are negatives in any show.

alanp561 and j3harleys like this.
  19. Ideally I'd prefer to hook up with a dozen or so people and create our own cruise, but haven't met that like minded group yet.

mad mikey and fastcar1953 like this.
  20. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last fall the MAFCA held its annual tour in Kanab UT. That was the first time for me at a cruise and my wife and I enjoyed it even though I was not in a restored Model A. Southern Utah in the fall is a fantastic place to cruise and see a lot of beautiful country. Several years ago I put something on here about my willingness to organize a cruise and received virtually no response. I'll try again. If anyone with a HAMB friendly car is interested send me a PM and I'll go to work making some plans.

21. donno

donno

I attend (occasionally) a Sunday morning "Gathering". Take coffee, look at new attendee's ride's. Meet new folks. Sometimes use the chair, but would rather walk / take pictures. Usually stay 3-4 hours. No BS, just car friendly folks. If your in 'Vegas, stop on by.

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I attend over 25 + car events a year. Swapmeets, drag races, car cruizes, car races and car shows ect... Both big and small. It`s a lifestyle I have been doing for years. With no end in sight. I work on cars all week and need time to get away. Limited to the midwest for now. It`s a social event for me. Never sit by my car, always out walking around. Talking to people. Just ask anybody who knows me. Just pic a show and go. I have met people from all over the United States. You would be surprised who you might meet and what you might learn. I even know Moriarity. And cherish the time I spent talking with BobK among others.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  23. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Triple Cities Street Rods is a very active club...and we put on the biggest (and best) Car Show in our area.

http://www.triplecitiesstreetrods.com/Cars-in-the-Park.html

In order to keep our show a success, we have to do a lot of schmoozing, socializing and "flyer stuffing"...so a large group of us are at every car show, cruise in, etc. in the area. And of course we support some of the regional club's shows that support our show.

And, as a club, usually 10-15 cars, we hit a few of the bigger shows Syracuse, York and Macungie.

So to answer the question, I attend TOO MANY shows...but after 45 years of rodding. I still LOVE IT.

lothiandon1940 and stanlow69 like this.
  24. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I've gotten so if I go to larger shows it needs activities. Whether it's a swap, some kind of racing, live music. I really like the ones where you have a car cruise sometime during the day for a couple hrs. Maybe 40-60 scenic miles. Also events that are centered around driving events like dirt drags, hill climbs, reliability runs, etc.

If I wanna hang out in a lawn chair, I'll go to a friends shop or sit out in front of mine...

25. guy1unico

guy1unico

In order for our hobby to keep up it takes it all.
    Closed trailers were one of the worst things that ever happened to our hobby.
    Exposure!!!

33 1115.jpg

Tall t 26 likes this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

The Hot Rod Reunion and NSRA Nats are the large events I go to. I don't usually attend local shows. Too many late model Corvettes, Dodges and Mustangs.

27. fuzzface

fuzzface

Years ago I use to go to anywhere from 10 to 15 shows a summer. Working 50-65 hours a week and hitting a show or swap every weekend during the summer months tends to burn up all your good summer weekends especially being from Wisconsin. I learned I wasn't getting nothing done during the warm summer months except bumming so I just quit but not after getting 3 different cars damaged at 3 different shows the same summer. that did it for me.

For many years I didn't go to any shows at all. If you wanted to see my toys you can see my rides as I drive past you on the roads. I don't mind road scars at all but to get damage at a show while your car is parked gets to me. Plus with all the thefts that been happening linked to a show I like having my stuff back home at night.

Like I said many years I didn't do any shows or swaps but I did breakdown and do try to make it to one or 2 shows a summer now but no more every weekend being gone to an event. I try to hit one of the Jefferson shows each year doesn't matter if it is spring or fall but that mainly is to touch base with some old friends and I don't show or vend anymore. just spend a few hours and hit the road if I want to get something else done. If I know I will miss Jefferson on both dates then I try hitting Elkhorn. Notice I try staying to swaps close to home.

my days of hitting shows in Il. or other states are over for now. I like being a lone wolf and driving my toys around in the country and small towns and not sitting babysitting them at a show. Was never really interested in the show only places and eating fast food. I am not a fast food joint type of guy to start with. Neighbor used to try but gave up trying to get me to cruise to Gus's on Saturdays.

I used to like the ones connected with swap spots but with the internet these days they are no longer needed just a place to catch up with old friends now.

So if you want to see my rides you can catch a glimpse of it on the road enjoying the country scenery or going to the hardware store or who knows where but not sitting at a show. .

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy you guys are a wild and crazy bunch! I could never hang with such party animals but I love hearing about these wild antics so I can live extemporaneously through you all. Party on!

29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I got to a lot of cruises. I meet my friends there and we have a good time laughing and carrying on, selling and buying parts. Pittsburgh cruises are pretty good. Lots of nice cars, customs, race cars.. Pittsburgh has a lot of gear heads and has always been a hands on town..

mad mikey likes this.
  30. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I go to a show maybe once a year, park outside and walk around and look. I don't need some judge telling me what all is wrong with my car. We do several cruise ins, that way you can leave when you want. Me and a friend of mine are having 6 cruise ins in our small town this coming spring, May to October. We are doing them for churches, they handle the food, we do the rest. In the 4 hours we hand out 10 or 12 door prizes, also some gas cards. 50/50 tickets and a silent auction also at each one. Door prizes are something a hot rodder can use, not some cheap crap that you throw away when you leave. We done a few once before, the last one was for the back pack kids, it was in Oct so we handed out candy to the kids, usually we will have stuff for the women and kids to do so it makes a good time for everybody. A lot of work and clean up and considering we don't make nothing ourselves. It goes for a good cause and any extra money we have at the end, Oct, from the 50/50 tickets we will donate to the Shop with a Cop they do at Xmas for the kids.

fastcar1953 likes this.