Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear Fender Skirts on a Model A Ford (Pictures?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Nov 5, 2019.

1. I got this crazy idea in my head about a week ago, and I'm curious if anyone else has ever thought the same: has anyone ever put fender skirts on a Model A Ford? The thing that gave me this inspiration is this picture of a 1934 Ford with a set on it.[​IMG]

So has anyone ever made a set of these for a Model A? Pictures?

2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I never saw a Model A with fender skirts, maybe there is a reason for that:rolleyes::rolleyes:

clem, jimgoetz, LOU WELLS and 6 others like this.
  3. No imagination.... ;)

1947knuck likes this.
  4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Look at the shine on that ride!!

BigO likes this.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

There was a guy that belonged to the HAMB who had them on a Model A. It was in his avatar.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it seems that would have to reinforce the thin edge of the sheet metal and braces under fender

7. Hombre

Hombre

Man I hope "not"...

56don likes this.
  8. I think that if a set were made with real thought and design involved that it could look just as nice as it does on this 34 Ford coupe. The problem I've seen with many homemade attempts at side skirts is that they just look like an afterthought.

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

do it! show us a picture

10. Challenge accepted. In my head, I see a Sports Coupe, side spares, and rear fender skirts with a shiny nickel plated luggage rack. If it were any other model, I just don't think it would work. I guess we'll find out.

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

While it was a late model, a guy here had skirts on a pickup that looked good., He also had a license plate that said,"Yes Dear" haha

12. Hahaha. That's awesome.

[​IMG]
    I'm thinking a car like this with rear skirts. Something that looks regal but yet attainable. A set of skirts would make it look that much more expensive if they are done right.

1947knuck, brad2v and BigO like this.
  13. Hombre

Hombre

Scotch, This thread proves the old saying beauty is in the "eye of the beholder". For me I don't like even a little the look on that 34, it's just not my deal. Now with that said the man who put those skirts on that car did not come to me and ask for me to pay for him doing that, so I really don't get a say so in what he does or likes. Thank God we don't all think the same !! I also don't look at these old cars in a religious way and think the sky is the limit to what a man does to his car, just because I have never seen a Model A with skirts in no way means it's a bad idea if you like it...

HSF, Hnstray and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. I can respect that.

[​IMG]

Even a set on something like this would just make it look gangster. It might take a couple of tries, but I think something could be made to give it that extra WOW factor.

1947knuck and 2935ford like this.
  15. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. 1947knuck, HunterYJ, OG lil E and 7 others like this.
  18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think a Model A might have far too boxy of a shape look good with add-on Aero / Art Deco treatments. But Fords from 33 on up seem more likely - laid back windshield pillars and grilles, swooped fenders, etc..

Atwater Mike and Hnstray like this.
  19. Boden

Boden

Sounds good for the photoshop thread

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Texas57 and Tim like this.
  20. Boden

Boden

It kinda makes the car look wider

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. This is what I was thinking too. But after seeing that 34 with the skirts, now I really want to build a 34 ford in a 40s taildragger style. I think that would look killer

stanlow69 and Ned Ludd like this.
  22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Coachbuilders started playing with skirts from about 1934 on. That's not to say that you won't find an earlier instance of skirts on bespoke coachwork, but it would likely be something anomalous and it might strike us as weird-looking. Personally, I'm into both bespoke coachwork and automotive weirdness, so weird early coachwork often appeals to me.

Something you'll find quite a lot of is earlier chassis rebodied some time in the mid-'30s. Those would be total redesigns, though, with a lot of ingenuity spent on giving a low-slung look to a chassis with the floor at knee height, e.g. doors extended down to the running boards, etc. That would be one approach for a Model A.

The other thing is that the more successful early skirts weren't just plain lids; they had something to break up the visual weight of a straight line at the bottom, be it a hubcap mounted to the skirt, or something like that on the above '34; a complex curve showing a bit of the wheel; an arrangement of louvres; or whatever your creativity turns up. There was a particular sort of cat's-mouth or moustache-shaped reveal which worked quite well for this – the earliest use of this I've seen was by Thrupp & Maberly in 1935.

This has got me thinking. Perhaps I'll fire Gimp up on this. I see some of you are already bracing yourselves against the onslaught ...

brad2v and Hnstray like this.
  23. Very well said.

1947knuck likes this.
  24. I like the idea, now to wait for all the skirt haters to voice their opinions. BigO

1947knuck, williebill and OG lil E like this.
  25. Some of use think all side skirts look like an afterthought...:rolleyes:

And that would be me...:)

Blue One, choffman41, HSF and 4 others like this.
  26. chopped

chopped

Skirt's are for girls.

Blue One, upspirate and Hombre like this.
  27. And Scotsmen

Ben

Surfcityrocker, Blue One and belair like this.
  28. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love skirts...they show off my great legso_O

Seriously, nothing wrong with building a Model A "custom". They all don't have to be traditional lakes inspired hot rods. I think a 50s-60s full fendered hot rod cruiser with a ton of JC Whitney type accessories would be cool..(.traditionally known as a gook wagon). I say go for it...skirts would only add to the look.:D

And I practice what I preach:D My avatar will be a whitewalled, skirted tail dragger by this spring.

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

A stainless medallion could add to this one.Maybe a 30-31 hubcap

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  30. You guys know I'm just funn'in. ..:D

hotrodjack33 likes this.