Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Classifieds: A Simple Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Featured Classifieds: A Simple Hot Rod

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

63fdsnr, LOU WELLS, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looks like a fun little car, super pre-war traditional. I could imagine bombing around town or gravel back roads in it.

loudbang, tractorguy and Tim like this.
  3. raven

raven

Looks like lots of fun, wish I could swing it.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I saw that ad, I think it was at $12k when I saw it, maybe he came down a little, still it's not low enough. It's pretty rough, not much more than a T body dropped onto an A chassis. It will take a bit of work to make it ready for the street. Running A chassis w/ engine & trans are a couple $k, a 27 T body is another couple, there was a T turtle deck body at the RPM Nat's swap meet for $1800. It does have the KH wheels, but I think he's still too high. Just saw an ad on facebook yesterday for an A coupe for I think $8500, I think that's more the right range for this one. JMO.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019

5. it's a little too simple for eleven grand. more like six grand simple.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It seems like everyone wants "the bucks". Craigslist projects seem to average $4,000/$5,000 and up and sellers seem to have no shame in selling rusty or rat rods and asking big dollars. I guess it only takes one buyer.

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

I am never sure what the correct answer is. I see that and I do see a super cool little hot rod which is cooler than many cars more expensive I still quiver at what people ask for stuff. As I said, maybe it's me.

I still get queasy when I see a $4 hot dog when I remember getting 4 hot dogs for a dollar.

Thor1, X-cpe, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks like an investment you will be putting more money into. Bob

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    bondojunkie and loudbang like this.
  9. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Crazy....I am currently building a 1/25 scale model car that is a clone of the one in this post. Not quite done but close. Was going for a very vintage feel. Riley head four banger with injectors. Riding on thin spokes. Mine only cost $20!!!!!

Attached Files:

• 0-1.jpg
      0-1.jpg
      File size:
      182.6 KB
      Views:
    • 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      150 KB
      Views:
  10. tractorguy

tractorguy

While some can certainly quibble about whether the price is right or not......lets not lose track of the very valid points that Ryan is making......the philosophy behind the posting is spot on and very relevant for our hobby (obsession ?) today .......and a way of looking at the big picture. Ryan, be careful.......you're starting to sound really, really like some of us old guys !! Now get off my lawn......oh wait.....I'm on your lawn. Have fun.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could see that in my driveway...an even more primitive escape than my current Hotrod, yeah it need some more upgrades for the road but the base is there ready to add onto and titled...I didn't know that there was a gas tank under the cowl of these puppies...I thought the tank was in the trunk...Where is the filler in this case...Is that specific to roadsters?

There is a divide in Hotrod in the V8 crowd and Banger crowds but this is a flavorful beginning...thanks for sharing...

loudbang and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  12. TERPU

TERPU

0.jpg

Ryan is right. This is without a doubt the funnest pile of parts I've ever assembled. And It'll never be for sale, it might get transferred to a '32 frame eventually and get a healthy V8 someday when I'm finally done abusing and beating on it. But Bangers are the best BANG for your buck period.

So I can honestly say if there's more than $4,000 in this whole endeavor I'd be surprised. But like the commercial says "it's priceless" to me. And for the car advertized a Roadster you can drive is well worth the $11,500 he's asking. That Car is waaaay Bitchin'

I happily park it next to the Big Buck stuff, and also take it to the Home Depot and leave it unattended. Hauls my Surfboards fine too. There's no keys and no locks. For what it is it scoots along and is known to win a race now and then.

But it IS a pile of leftovers and cast offs. Albeit good stuff. Would I rather have a T Roadster? You bet. But the Tub came from a friend who needed to get it out of his way and I asked at just the right time. (Thanks Joe). The frame and engine were from a friend who just needed it out of the way too. I did collect the 33-36 axle and parts to make the mechanical dropped Ford axle work, and the V8 trans I put together from a bunch of leftover pieces. My Kid learned how to brush paint with Rustoleum on this one. The Kelsey's all wiggle a little and aren't perfect, The tires are Implement fronts (think tractor) and the rears are ten ply Trailer tires and all of 'em Bias. Coker is great but there's ways to get it done like the old guys did. I paid a friend and great Upholsterer to sew up the skins. But even that wasn't a break the bank deal. I let him run with it and being creative with Sunbrella and a Cow Hide paid off.

I guess my point is build something fun using your ability, scrounging, and determination. Fun stuff doesn't have to be expensive. The High Dollar stuff has its place too, Shit I own what I consider to be nice as well. But nothing makes me or my family smile more than "The Real" #7 as it's been called. Be the guy in the seat, not the guy on the other side of the K-rail watching :)

13. TERPU

TERPU

The gas tank is under what you'd think a cowl vent.
    PS - Throw one together you'll never regret it.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was that a dual Purpose Vent?...Fill and Fresh air...Nice Tub @TERPU

I saw two T Coupes...Stockers one Had a Cowl Vent the other had no vent...I guess the one without the vent had the tank in the trunk with fill cap on tank when trunk is open and it had a stick to measure fill amount...

15. TERPU

TERPU

There's no vent. It's just a gas tank filler cover. Unless you remove the tank, then it'll be a vent. But my tanks still there. Besides you sit so high in a T a vent wouldn't do any good.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Learn a new thing everyday...I remember thinking to myself They had cowl vents on T's and they went away till 32 but that wasn't the case at all...

17. This is the 27 Cowl on my Modified. I’m using the gas flap as a vent. The tank is an E27N tank at the back.

An early Ford vent flap mechanism was hard to get over here and expensive, so I was going to use a 2CV flap mechanism but they are about £100 now. I’m now using a servo from a BMW controlled by a dash switch.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.