Register now to get rid of these ads!

History OLD REPAIR SHOPS IN YOUR TOWN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 5, 2019.

1. This place was one of the bigger repair & towing shops around when I was a kid but it closed a number of years ago, a enterprising group f guys reopened it with a twist & left all the simage from the original business and added their name on the front f the building.

30688888_2100676320164227_4917541759245877248_o.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There will be a big show here this Saturday, November 9t

312 Sayre Street Anderson South Carolina

Saturday at 12 PM – 9 PM
    32–52°F Sunny

Any old blaces being brought back in your area? HRP

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  2. williebill

williebill

I'd kill to own that building.

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It's hard to bring a shop back in to a building that was a shop. The ordinances have moved on pushing shops to industrial parks.

Boneyard51 and dana barlow like this.
  4. There are a couple of the old cinder block shop buildings left in Pocahontas. However they are simply private garages for the guys who own them. The old ford garage is setting vacant. the chevy dealership is a car lot and the back part a tire shop. everyone now has those colored metal & red iron buildings

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Monty's Motors has been in town since 1956 (the same year the city was incorporated), it's the oldest business in town. Still going, I took an OT car there last week for an alignment.

57montys.jpg

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

If one was after the best of the best,race Flathead V8,or latter on GM v8s,there was one place. H.C.Wilcox
    27Ave Miami Florida.
    And note some fun in the banner. For those that don't know who Jim Rathmann is,, look up Indy 500 winners.
    Gone now

wilcoxgarage2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Tim, HOTRODPRIMER, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  7. I have one of the older ones in town now. I ran it as a full service shop from 1982 to 2012 and then re-branded it as a shop for Hot Rods, Classics, Muscle Cars and Antiques. It's a 7 car (comfortable) shop and I still do a fair bit of customer work, but today, 3 of the 5 cars in the shop seem to belong to me. o_O

100_0951.JPG

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

And you have that new shoebox parked right in front!

Bones

9. Yup, it's a bit of a struggle doing customer work when that '50 keeps calling for me. ;) Got a complete front end job on a '65 Chevy to do ... back to work, maybe ...

HOTRODPRIMER and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

But look at this way...... you are your best customer! Lol

Bones

11. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

I drove past McLee's dozens of times when my daughter lived on that end of town. It always made me sad to see it. Really happy to see it open again.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

There are no old repair shops in my area.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. There's one in my town. I pulled it up on Google Street View and tried to follow the 12 Step Program directions I found online. No workee for rickshaw boy. I might have been ahead of the game to just put a new flint in the camera and drive the 6 miles to the building and do it like Ansel Adams would have done it than to try it on the 'pewter. :(

Maybe next time I'm out and about I'll capture it for posterity.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. [​IMG]

This is the old Ford dealership where Brenda's grandmother bought the '54 Ranch Wagon.

I had a photo of what the dealership looked like a few years ago before it was torn down, thank you photobucket for holding the photo hostage. HRP

dana barlow and deathrowdave like this.
  15. gene-koning

gene-koning

Not many old repair shops left in my town. Most were tore down after they closed up, or have changed so much you would never recognize them. All the new car dealerships from the late 60s have moved to other locations in town and few of their old buildings remain.
    This town is all about getting rid of old buildings because "they are eyesores and pose a danger to the community". Gene

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Last old one here got torn down and a bank office building got built in it’s place.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. wicarnut

wicarnut

There are some small local garages, the buildings have been there a long time, they are operating on the tourist gouge price system with one exception that I'm aware of. They are using shop rates of $100+/per plus minimum markup of 100%/200% on parts. Here in the heart of tourist country you are better off dealing with the new car dealers IMO. I was in business for 36 years and am aware of the high cost of running a insured legit business. Our Local GM dealer is at $120/I had to have a repair I did not want to do so I paid up, It's the times we live in, It Is What It Is.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

There is one a stones throw from me sitting vacant . I ask myself 1 million times , why not buy it . It’s on a main road intersection . It was built in the time when the world was a better place to live . It has tons of glass to make use of free lighting . I watch and watch it has never been broken into that I have ever seen or noticed . My luck as soon as I buy it and start to tinker , everything in there would be gone , including the wiring . I don’t trust any people and it would just make enemies for me I suppose . But it would be damn fun to own . I’ll get a couple photos in a day or so and post them .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Lou, If your out and about this Saturday, there having a big cruise in. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  20. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

There was a Ford dealership in Farmington, NH that would sell new Fords from catalogs, never had one you could look at. One man shop, who would keep two sets of tools, one for each side of the car, so to save time from walking around. Excellent mechanic who would rework the car you traded in so well that you would see it driving around when you were going to trade in the car you obtain several years ago.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.