Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have you gone to jail because of your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Well, it wasn't a gun, but just as bad according to Johnny Law.

2. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Cops Never Pull Me Over Anymore Because They See A Senior And Don't Want To Hear About Pearl Harbor Again.. IMG_0043.jpg

3. 6sally6

6sally6

I've told both my 'kids'..........in 71 years I've never been in jail, not even close.
    It ain't that hard to stay out.
    6sally6

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  4. Back in the 60s, the RCMP that my friends and I dealt with, were more than fair to us. Any time we got a ticket, we deserved it, and more. Some guys got charged for booze, but a bunch of us guys and girlfriends were pulled over in my friends car. The girl driving didn't have a license, and there was opened beer in the trunk. The cop gave us a lecture, poured out the beer, and told us to go get some Chinese food and sober up. (That was where we were headed)
    They didn't seem to have the idea that they needed to throw everyone in the hoosegow. There was a friendly kind of banter that went on between us, and almost all of us in the club were respectful.
    One time, the cop, after a drag race, drove directly to my friend's place and put his hand on the hood to see if the car was warm. Then he knocked on the door and asked for my friend, and when my friend came to the door, the cop told him that it he was his lucky day, and that some person with a car that looked like his did something really stupid, and if he is caught, he will go to the slammer. He also told him stay off the road tonight, if he could, because every cop in the valley was on the lookout for the car.
    Bob

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

When I was 14 or so I was waiting to cross the street to my house and a cop pulls up and proceeds to ream my ass with all his authority for driving an unregistered vehicle not to mention no lights or windows or driver's licence!..Hell didn't need any of that weight on a field car! Been crossing this street all my life with some sort of vehicle or a tractor, many a cop had seen me.. But it is needed to cross the street! By law on the right of way and you in trouble.. He tells me to go get my father to drive the car across the street..Cop drives off I suppose feeling proud of him self and when out of sight I drive the car across the street and tell my father what the cop said; surprising he didn't say much..Next day I get home from school and find out that my father went down to the Police Station and reamed the Chief's ass for the cop's behavior...I got "permission"..

METAL MELTDOWN and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bones,
    Proud to be a "top honors" guy with you;). You sound like my type of guy:D.

Pretty much got what I deserved, but I probably had a bullseye on my back.
    In a small town in the late 60s, early 70s when you are a beer drinking, pot smoking, hot rod driving long haired hippy....you've pretty much "checked all their boxes":eek:. 48.jpg

7. I did once but it was more a dumb-shit move, not the car's fault.
    My buddy Danny and I were 18, broke and unemployed. We wanted to go cruising downtown but his 55 chevy had a busted 3 speed trans and my 55 Ford had expired license plates. He had a 47 Chevy sedan delivery in his yard with the engine out but had current license plates. We swapped those plates onto my Ford and went cruising. Got stopped after leaving the A&W and the cop took my sorry ass to jail...fine was $10.
    Danny had my car and went back to the A&W and bummed $10 from the waitress...bailed me out and we spent the night at her apartment!!! Can't remember if she ever got her 10 bucks back. View attachment 44

Attached Files:

Truck64 and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Those shoes, man! Those are rockin'!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. street race, large money, non-payment, altercation, ambulance/hospital, judge's nephew...….. do the math.

METAL MELTDOWN and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Jim Huseby

Jim Huseby

I shouldn't chime in on this thread, but on more than one or two occasions, because I had a faster car or more driving courage (notice I didn't necessarily say "driving skill") than my pursuants I didn't get gotten locked up. I am ashamed of my stupidity now, and might have matured a couple decades sooner if I had been apprehended. It's still not always possible to resist a challenge at a stop light or on the freeway. I'm afraid that when I loose my youthful zest, my life won't be worth living. 'Turning 70 Friday and my wife is still hoping I will grow up.

j-jock, alanp561, vetteguy402 and 2 others like this.
  11. williebill

williebill

Don't do it, Jim ! For God's sake, don't do it !!!!!

Grow up, that is.

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Nope, but I'm not saying that I haven't done anything that could have gotten me locked up. One night when I was getting drunk after getting dumped by my then GF, a buddy of mine was driving my car and we got pulled over by a local cop that was pretty cool and we just happened to be on a first name basis, and he just told us that that maybe I should be driving instead of my friend, little did he know that I was much worse off than my friend!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks! My best friend in my Senior class was from New York! He had relatives here in Oklahoma. He bought a 53 Chevy then he worked all Summer in the hay field for me( I had my own hay hauling rig) earned enough to buy a 1957 Chevy. We got it running real good and he drove it back to New York. Only seen him once since then!
    Like you, I had a “ hot rod” loud pipes and a bulls eye on the back like you said!
    I got away with a ton of stuff, by being respectful toward the cops. Instead of being the tuff guy.... I baffled them with bullshit! Worked more times than it failed! Sometimes if they were goin the other way and lit me up, I would turn and hide, instead of running, worked sometimes. During some of that time our cop cars had 440 Magnums in them, better he a hoss if you plan on running.

Bones

j-jock likes this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Jim, my wife still shakes her head when I pull up by some hot rod with our Daily Driver mini-van and power jack it. I was always real good at hole shots. Sometimes with me jumping ahead at the light, it will entice the hot rod to do a little racing and here we go! I always get my doors blowed off, but it fun. My wife says....pushing 70 and still street racing? I guess the jail didn’t teach you a thing!

Bones

15. X-cpe

X-cpe

My dad kept me out of jail. "If you're smart enough to get in trouble, then you are smart enough to get out of it. Don't call"

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    trollst and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

No, my car keeps me from going to jail. It keeps me out of trouble....

Deuces likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    As a teenager, I was almost married to my 58 Impala. I took it everywhere and we became good friends throughout high school. But, because of the Impala, or lack thereof, I somehow got put in jail overnight.

I was supposed to drive for a Saturday night outing with a bunch of other friends and their cars. At the last minute, a friend just got his car waxed and cleaned out, so he wanted to drive and I was the “shotgun.”

With a few other guys in the back, we went to the friends’ gathering. There were quite a few people at the house and we all decided to go to the drive-in theater for the evening. So, there were almost 10 cars in three separate rows in the back corner of the Los Altos Drive-in Theater. Each row had several cars and we had “cornered” the spaces for our movie adventure. Some girls, some, just the guys, but, plenty of hot rods and camaraderie, etc.

Throughout the movie, several of the guys started having drag races with empty beer cans down the slopes. That hollow sound of those rolling empty cans drew the attention of the white coats on bicycles and we toned down that activity. But, the teenager vs. teenager bravado started again and more races started on several empty slopes. The top eliminator was going to get a case of beer from everyone else.

I won a race because my beer can was full and rolled faster.

I got thrown out for cheating and sulked while the races were continuing. This went on for a few more minutes and the movie was starting to get a little crappy. So, we left in my friend’s 2 door 55 Chevy. Now, the thing we thought of later was that since there were so many teenagers in that back area, after the first incident, no one (white coat guys on bicycles) dared come out there to make us quiet down or leave. That was strange…

Jnaki

As soon as we rolled out of the exit gate driveway and got on the adjoining public road, a Black/White sedan followed us for a short distance and pulled us over…oh, oh… Because the 55 Chevy was a holding tank for empties and several full cans, we were asked to get out for some nose touching tests. (5 of us) As the tests were being done, several more Black/Whites arrived. They even measured the lowered 55 Chevy make sure it was not an illegal modification. (They should have measured with the 5 of us in the car…that made it illegal, but we were all standing at attention facing the street.)

Some of our friends drove by and of course, yelled things for and against us, laughing all the way. As they cruised by, the police laughed and said … “friends of yours?” We held back chuckles as we were scared they were going to arrest us. (they did...) On Monday morning, it was the talk of the campus and we were questioned all day by our friends.

We got thrown in the Long Beach jail overnight and had to go to a counselor with our parents before we could get released. The worst thing was, we had to walk in front of our friend’s parents to get to the counselor’s office and look at the “ Death Walk stares” coming our way. That was the worst of it… But, as far as all of the kids in the car, we were all outstanding high school teenagers without any blemishes on our records. Good students, good drivers, top athletes, most of us were in a service club at school at one time and did not have any bad remarks on our school records.

Note: One of our friend’s grandfather was the captain on the police force back in those early days. He wanted to get his grandson out immediately the night it happened. But, we found out later that the boy’s parents said it would not be fair for all of us. So, they worked out a deal that no one would get a mark or notice on their juvenile record for this incident. We all got out at the same time the next morning. (including the Death March stares and all...)

We did not know of this happening and decision until months later, while sweating the ramifications of being in jail and arrested. Needless to say, it was a quiet several months in all of our households, with little to no activity every weekend, not even on the family phones. The houses and yards were spotless for those captivity days…

So, had I driven the Impala, I would not have had this incident as I would not have been intoxicated. I told myself that when driving the 58 Impala, I had a responsibility not to drink. My only ticket was a radar at 26 in a 25 mph zone one day after school, during the junior year of high school. That was since the perpetrator got ahead of me and turned the corner to disappear and I was driving a hot looking Impala.

Because of the Impala or lack of, I was part of the arrested teenagers that left the drive-in theater in the 55 Chevy, and got rousted that night.

Ron Funkhouser and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

Same here.....:cool::D

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does 'domestic jail' count? I did a 6 month stretch when I swapped the A pickup for the 39 Tudor. Seriously, she didn't even want to see it, took her more than 6 months to even look at it.

20. birdman1

birdman1

Not jail, but I have been in the dog house!!

21. I had a few cars that were cop magnets, one an OT Impala SS that I loaned to my brother for his senior class picnic in '76. I had his GMC pick up for the day. He proceeds to get chased and loses the cop, but my car was part electric blue and primed. Hard to miss. It got so bad I wasn't able to take the car out at night, during the day I guess I got a pass.

I put a toggle switch in so I could kill the brake lights in case I had to make a hasty exit. My parents house was on a corner with 2 driveways, one on the side was hard to see. Sure as heck, I'm heading home late one night and probably less than 100% sober. Seeing the lights come on in back of me, I killed the lights and the brake lights and headed for the back driveway.

I made it, parked the car and got out, watched from a far corner of the yard so I could beat feets just in case. The cop went by 3x, never looked at the side driveway. I sold the car soon after, I warned the new owner and he did get pulled over a few times before they realized the car had a new owner.

Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Yes, My driving style... not fair to blame the car. Like people blaming guns for killing people. Guns like cars are inanimate. It is the operator! Mea culpa...

Deuces likes this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Bob I did the same thing on my ot car when I was a youngun. But I also switched the tail lights, so I could use the head lights, it gets dark in the country. I had to hide the switch up kinda under the dash, so my Dad wouldn’t see it and ask about it. He would not approve of that! And before people say the cops could still see your headlights, you can see red tail lights facing you a lot easier than head light shining away from you! And taking a chance on cops seeing you is better than running into a tree! Ask me how I know?

Bones

24. I was 16 years old in my ‘52 Chevy and had to show off my driving skills to my friends. So I fishtailed my way into someone’s lawn and made sure to do an epic burnout in their flower bed, all the while whooping like Speedy Gonzales.
    My dad was a cop in that little Oregon town, and he’s the one who put me in jail. I laugh now; I didn’t then.

Deuces and bobss396 like this.
  25. I ain't talking. They may be listening.HaHa

Deuces and Dick Stevens like this.
  26. I have done time and while I am not ashamed of it I am not going to discuss it on an open forum.

I have been arrested that was car related. But it was not because of my car it is because of something stupid I did in a car.

Deuces, olscrounger and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Porknbeaner, I hear ya! When I started this thread, I problaly should have chosen my words better! I have been kinda raked over the coals a few times , here, for seemly blaming my car for going to jail! Ha! I know it was my decisions that landed me in jail! Lol Probably should have been there more times! Lol The car has been likened to the gun.... causing the problems! Well, when you have a gun.... most of the time the cops don't know you have it....so no problem ! But..... if you have a hot rod.....flashy wheels, shiny chrome, loud exhaust, souped up engine, forty years old........ it’s like they are a magnet for cops!!! Lol Not complaining.... Just like Jack Webb said.... “ just the facts” !

Bones

Deuces, j-jock and vetteguy402 like this.
  28. sunbeam

sunbeam

Is this a Kansas thing caught a ride to work with a friend my 64 Biscayne was not there when I got home. Turned it in as stolen and offered the neighbor hood kids $20 if they found it. Within a half hour they told me where it was, called it in as recovered. You can guess what happened when I drive it to work the next morning to replace a bent wheel and axle when they kissed a curb and replaced the worn ignition switch that any GM key would turn on.

29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The cops pulled my bother-in-law over one night years ago, because he spun his tires. Ran his tag and it came up stolen and on a different kind of car! They took him to jail, he called me, I called some of my cop friends, but they wouldn’t let him out of jail, even thought he had owned the car three years and had bought stickers for the tag all those years!
    Next day when the DMV opened the cops ran a check and sure enough that tag was reported stolen about 7/8 years back..... and the State re-issued the number!
    He got arrested, spend the night in jail, got his car towed, missed a day of work, because of a mistake the DMV made and all anybody said was “ sorry”!

Bones

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Every guy who ever ends up in jail always has someone or something to blame rather than themselves. :rolleyes:

So now they can blame their cars too o_O :rolleyes: :confused:
    :D:D

Deuces and BoilermakerDave like this.