Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Chevy Sedan SEGA Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CPT_Kill_Roy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cool build looks like a forged crank unless my eyes are bad. Lippy

2. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

Good eye I was also surprised. So was my machinists when I dropped it off with him. I think I’m going to get some better rods and bolts. I’ll use an ARP stud kit for the mains. The block goes in soon for a clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  4. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

No idea on weight yet. I built my ladder bars out of chromoly, heads are aluminum, rear leaves are being tossed for coil springs, I am removing weight from anything and everything I can. Brakes are all aerospace disks. This car did have an aluminum head small block and (gasp....) an automatic. Was a somewhat stripped down street/Strip car a little over a year ago. It was my dad’s car and he had told me he only ever weighed it once, and that was on really old scales and it weighed in right 2600#’s without him in it. Not sure how far I would take that info tho!
    As far as engine set back, even with a big block, if chassis and suspension is set up correctly and with the prepped track surfaces we have available to us nowadays, as well as the advancements in tire technology, I don’t think much engine set back is needed. I have mine set up with the front machined surface of the block pretty much dead on front axle centerline. The stock steering will not work on mine with the engine sitting in this location and with the crankshaft centerline height I am running. Firewall mods with engine in this location are minimal, however my current plan for mine is .....it will all be gone . (Part of previously mentioned weight reduction plan ) I will see if I can find a pic of engine mock-up with the body on.

CPT_Kill_Roy likes this.
  5. Here's two variations of sliders on my Henry J, first was good for 120+ mph, second was done when new chassis was built. There's a hitch pin on the back of the rod that slides in to help prevent it from sliding all the way out.

. Screenshot_20191104-160616_Photobucket.jpg Screenshot_20191104-160544_Photobucket.jpg Screenshot_20191104-160757_Photobucket.jpg

Another alternative is to cut the fender at the cowl, attach the cutoff section to the cowl, then attach a strip of sheet aluminum or steel to the underside so it hangs out past the fender section. When the front is tilted down the fender will ride on that strip aligning it with the cutoff fender section.

. Screenshot_20191104-163607_Gallery.jpg

And then there is the laid down C, works as the hinge and slider all in one, drops in through opening and when slid back it's locked in, slid out it's locked in, stop in the middle and you can remove the front clip.

. 20191104_165204.jpg

CPT_Kill_Roy and Crkrjac like this.
  6. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

The start of some of the weight reduction happening . This is not completely finished yet. 25E12CC4-7BDD-4F8C-9FA6-82EF60461FEC.jpeg Here is one with spring mocked up showing engine placement. Notice shackle is relaxed, so center bolt will move forward slightly when weight is added. 23B17619-A701-4DD7-9440-33AD1C9DFA51.jpeg Here is the only one I have with the body on. Driver side head fits fine with my engine placement but firewall would need very minor clearancing for valve cover. Pass side head will just barely not fit before hitting firewall. 12D1E0D8-4572-4903-A950-DD623CCB6AC3.jpeg

7. badvolvo

badvolvo

These are 2 1/4" primary, 4" collector on my BBC 632" powered 40 Chevy. Kit from Jegs and a few extra bends. I moved the firewall back about 5". 40-1.jpg 40-2.JPG

8. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

That looks perfect. Is your front end original steel? If so did you weld the hood to the fenders?

9. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

Thanks allot every one for your feedback and ideas. Your project photos are helping.

Crkrjac likes this.
  10. 6sally6

6sally6

Since its a 'durn old shivel-lay' don't forget where your distributor will be!
    May need to do a mod on the firewall no matter where the set back happens. I read on HAMB about a guy using a wheelbarrow for the recess needed on his firewall. Looked REALLY trick and without a ton of work.
    6sally6

CPT_Kill_Roy, swade41 and Crkrjac like this.
  11. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

I like badvolvo’s set up. My ride height and crank centerline height looks to be lower than his. So, just something to keep in mind....the higher the crankshaft centerline, the greater the firewall modifications required.

CPT_Kill_Roy likes this.
  12. 40 Chevy 2dr Sedan running 69 Nova driveline SBC , TH350, 10 bolt rear , but does have Mustang II rack though , block hugger headers putting 3 carb intake on next... Resized952017051295160108.jpg

CPT_Kill_Roy likes this.
  13. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

Looks cool lowered like that. Thanks for sharing.

14. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

I’m willing to cut up a wheelbarrow if need be. There’s one in that junk yard.
    Good to remember, I’m going to mock it up with a distributor.

15. On my 41 truck I only clearanced for the valve covers, the distributor sits back in where the old 6 cyl sit, my Henry J had the wheelbarrow firewall from the 60's when I bought it.
    I did get caught with top of wheelbarrow interference when I installed the engine with tunnel ram but without distributor, I had to remove the top half of the tunnel ram to get the distributor in. When that engine blew on the first day out the first thing I did was trim the top of the wheelbarrow further back, first cut back was for carb clearance, never even thought about getting the distributor in and out. When I switched it to BBC from sbc I cut the whole wheelbarrow out and moved the engine back another couple inches.
    FB_IMG_1572927091560.jpg FB_IMG_1572927096872.jpg FB_IMG_1572927113049.jpg Screenshot_20180831-000046_Photobucket.jpg

Crkrjac, brEad and CPT_Kill_Roy like this.
  16. badvolvo

badvolvo

The front is all steel, welded up with some bracing. I spent a lot of time looking at what others had done on the hinge assembly. I went with the most basic of hinges, but had to do more body mods because of it. I don't know how well it will holdup over the years, but so far its doing well. Only a few street miles and one day at the drag strip so far. I will see what I have for pictures and post up anything that may help. My BBC was set up a little high, just to add pan and steering clearance, no issues, lots of room.

brEad and CPT_Kill_Roy like this.
  17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Here is my tilt front on my Morris Minor . All steel front end welded together. Sort of a 5/8 scale of your 40 . I still have a 429 Ford that I would consider installing in it. 20170513_132731.jpg 20170514_102257_HDR1.jpg

brEad, CPT_Kill_Roy and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  18. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Wow! A 429 in that little Morris should be an interesting ride.

19. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

Getting creative and trying out some different locations for the engine tonight. There’s allot room for these BBC motors. It looks small compared to the old inline 6. Mocking up with some tri-5 bbc headers. So far every clears even the original steering box and column. Not sure if the front fenders will fit over the headers on the passenger side. Might have to cut and re weld them. IMG_3261.JPG IMG_3492.JPG IMG_3491.JPG

brEad and Crkrjac like this.
  20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Those headers look/fit pretty good! I don't think I've ever seen a 40 chevy with the factory beam axle, always independents with a lot of steering linkage in the way..

CPT_Kill_Roy likes this.
  21. It's actually behind the spindle without even cutting the firewall, funny that it looks further back than my truck, I would think that our front sheetmetal would be similar in length.

CPT_Kill_Roy likes this.
  22. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

It’s the Master 85 model. Is the basic bare bones model. No side chrome either. Had painted silver bumpers too.
    If I had the trans bolted on and a running motor it would “drop right in”

23. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

My car has the original factory straight axle. Maybe that’s why. I still have a few inches of room. Part of the column shifter is in the way.

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

I wouldn't cut the firewall unless it was absolutely necessary. I didn't have any choice on my car but on your car its an option.

CPT_Kill_Roy likes this.
  25. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

We got the front end dropped back on. Every things fits good. Lots of room. IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3504.JPG

brEad, greaser, Crkrjac and 1 other person like this.
  26. Looks like application specific headers for your 40!

CPT_Kill_Roy likes this.
  27. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

I lucked out. I asked around and didn’t get any answers on what would fit. I noticed that the header manufacturers don’t make a “fat fender Chevy” fender well header for the big block. Then I noticed that some of the manufacturers discontinued their SBC fat fender Chevy headers. I figured it’s because the tri-5 headers fit good enough.
    So knowing Summits excellent return policy (return label attached to invoice) I figured I’d try a set of Patriot Tri-5 headers for BBC. And that’s what I’m using. I have to say the headers are huge with 3.5” collectors. I’m going to run a 3.5” strait pipe under the running boards. I will add 3.5” inserts into those pipes to quite it down, and some sort of turn out at the end.

brEad likes this.
  28. Dyce

Dyce

Thank you for posting this! I have 2 master 85 sedans like yours. One of them had the same accessory front bumper that was on yours. The 40 Master 85 also had nice steel sill plates and painted dash and window mouldings. I have the exact same plans with the strait axle front end so I am eager to see how it works.

CPT_Kill_Roy likes this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

You can get the Speedway Auger muffler inserts for your pipes. They sound like the old Corvette factory side pipes when you are cruising and really good when you are wide open.
    They only weigh about a pound and are really cheap. That way it looks like you are running straight pipes , but are street legal. I had them on my old pro street Morris . 0520131953a.jpg

CPT_Kill_Roy and brEad like this.
  30. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

That’s exactly what I’m thinking of using