Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bruce Lancaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Bruce Lancaster

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rest In Peace, sir. Your knowledge will be missed.

3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Darryl Deir, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Damn, what can you say about a guy who would do that? We're poorer for losing him.

Darryl Deir, fauj, scotty t and 15 others like this.

5. Hard to say enough about about Bruce.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the thread about Bruce having had a stroke and later passing I wrote the paragraph below. I never met Bruce, talked to him once, and I suspect that he gave away more than just his knowledge, as told in @Ryan 's story. I imagine that the spotlight I sold him probably ended up as a gift to someone else who needed one.

"Several years ago I had an NOS Ford spotlight from the mid-30's that I got in a box full of miscellaneous stuff I bought at an auction. I had no use for it so I advertised it on the HAMB. Bruce bought it, and when I asked him what he was going to use it on he said he had no plans to use it, he just wanted it. We chatted for a bit, and he made quite an impression on me. His contributions on the HAMB were second to none."

RIP Bruce, where none of the flathead blocks have cracks, nor do any of them overheat! You will be missed here.

7. HotRod33

HotRod33

Bruce had a big impact on many lives that we will probably never hear about...... But we should all try to follow the example Bruce left....

8. We should all be so unselfish. The world is a lesser place for losing him.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Wow, truly sorry to hear he's passed on. He always contributed good things to any thread he was on. Condolences to his family and friends.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  10. I remember when I first became interested in old cars. The one thing I use to think to myself is that I wish I had the stories under my belt like all the old guys who use to (and still did at that point) build the old cars like they did back in the day. These guys use to all be ten feet tall to me. Now that I'm older, these guys are still ten feet tall to me. Lets never forget Mr. Lancaster. Tell the stories boys.

11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The thing about Bruce and guy's like him that stand tall, is that they live on in our memories.
    Thank You Bruce

12. I had never met Bruce face to face but we had several conversations over the years, talked via the PM's and conversation feature here and there was always a birthday PM back & forth.

He was bigger than life and he got a huge laugh it the Conan/Bruce photo, thank you Bruce for all you have done to spread the Gospel. HRP

[​IMG]

13. It's no stretch to say that we've lost a giant.

14. TERPU

TERPU

We should all be so fortunate to have the insight, kindness, optimism, encouraging, and giving nature he had. I think everyone on the HAMB or in his circle benefited from his presence or contact. Godspeed and may you rest in peace kind Sir Bruce

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nice non-eulogy Ryan, thank you.

loudbang, saltracer219 and Hnstray like this.
  16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There are not 10 people in the world ( combined) that could possibly fill his shoes.... RIP

fauj, Petejoe, razoo lew and 7 others like this.
  18. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are all better for having known Bruce and the HAMB is a little lesser for having lost him...

Godspeed Bruce! I look forward to seeing you on the other side someday. My deepest condolences to the Lancaster family.

19. pumpman

pumpman

We need more librarians like him. RIP.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  20. belair

belair

You will never be (thought of as) great, unless you are first good. Bruce was (is) proof of that.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another HAMB teasure lost. Mercy.
    Fantastic story Boss.

loudbang likes this.

22. Bruce Lancaster.jpg
    Bruce M. Lancaster
    September 25, 1948 - October 30, 2019

23. My first interaction with Bruce was in 2008 when we bought him a digital camera ... Never had the pleasure of meeting him in person ... but PMed him many more times in the past 11 years ... great man!

Bruce M. Lancaster - Drew University Librarian.jpg
    R.I.P. @Bruce Lancaster :(

24. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HEMI32,

Thank you for the great photo of Bruce above.

25. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Yeah, I've always been curious as to what he looked like. You really feel like you get to know people but the www is a strange thing because you only conceive what they make look like based on your life experiences.

Good story, Ryan, thanks for sharing. I'd love to see pics of his collection.

When I was gone from the HAMB for about 11 years, I would check in every so often...maybe months, maybe two years. Regardless, however, the first thing I would check is his last post date. That might be the only thing I'd do after I logged in. It put me at ease to know he was still preaching the gospel of the flathead.

Like many others, Bruce sent me some stuff. Not being one to accept gifts, I felt almost guilty to have HIS stuff. Even up until the night of his passing I thought I should send it back- maybe I should, I don't know. Anyway, that stuff means MUCH MUCH more, now.

26. The hobby lost a great one! RIP Bruce.

27. williebill

williebill

What a tribute to a good man, all the posts on the 3 or so threads running now.
    Thanks to everyone who has told a Bruce story. He was a very special guy.

28. Oh man, this one will leave a mark... or a hole... a big hole where there used to be a fantastic tree of knowledge. RIP Mr. Lancaster, you will be sadly missed. I'm a better person having crossed your path on the internet.

fauj and Thor1 like this.
  29. chiro

chiro

The Friday before he had the stroke he messaged me that he NEEDED the 21A pitman arm I was selling in the classifieds. He asked if I would hold it for him till Monday as he had no computer access at home and he had just retired from his job at the university. I messaged him back:
    "Hi Bruce,
    I know you. Your reputation precedes you. Your wisdom and knowledge have helped me immeasurably during my build. I would be happy to hold it for you."

...And then I didn't hear from him so after a day or two I texted his cell phone number that he left for me. That's when his daughter answered my text to tell me that he had a stroke. So I posted the facts on the HAMB.

I, for one, gained a lot of knowledge from reading his posts, as I'm certain have MANY others on this forum and the Ford Barn. It was always a giddy feeling when you saw that he responded to a thread when you were seeking help with a problem or had a question. It was like, "The master has deemed my question worthy of his response. Yay!!!". He seemed like the nicest guy, always ready to help and share what he knew. Really wish I had met him.

I still have his "Ford 94 carburetor setup instructions" taped to a cabinet door in my garage. Was going to take it down recently because it's getting all curled up and funky but I think it's just gonna stay there. Likewise, I think I'll keep the pitman arm as well.

Rest in peace Bruce.

Andy

30. raven

raven

All in all, classic Bruce...a large holes is left. Truly someone that inspires us to do better, learn more and be more patient with others.

So why has the 38 sat for so long?
    r

Thor1 likes this.