Register now to get rid of these ads!

ATTN: Y-Block gurus/Trany help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k-member, Jun 23, 2006.

1. k-member

k-member

OK, so I have a 61 truck motor with the granny low tranny and I want to put my T-10 on it. Have the car bellhousing. Do I need a car flywheel or can I use the monster truck one? I know the clutch from the truck is way to big for the T-10 shaft. What all do I need, to do this conversion?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. BigChief

BigChief

I'll send you pics and part numbers after the weekend. My Y-block was out of a 1957 pickup. My T10 was out of a 1964 289 powered Falcon. The heavy truck trans/flywheel may be quite different than what I'm using. What is your T-10 out of? I machined a sleeve for the Ford Falcon T10 bearing retainer that allows me to use the original Y-block pick-up bellhousing, throw-out bearing, release fork, pressure plate and hydraulic slave cylinder. I also had to turn down the OD of the bearing retainer about .060" where it attaches to the trans because it was too large to fit in the bellhousing. I used an 11" Y-block truck pressure plate and an 11" clutch disk for a 1964 289 powered Falcon (I've got the Sachs p/n for you). The biggest problem is the fact that the T10 input shaft is about 1/2" too short and doesn't engage (enough) in the Y-block pilot bushing. A modified/custom made pilot bushing is required. The clutch disk does ride out farther on the splines on the T-10 than usual but should not pose a problem unless your drag racing the car. So far so good.

Anybody else with ideas?

-Bigchief.

3. k-member

k-member

Wow! Thanks fellas. BigCheif I will take all the part #s and info because under further inspection, I may have to use the same set-up as you. I just found a big ass crack in my bellhousing as in the pic. I am using a Falcon sprint T-10 as well. Thanks alot.

Attached Files:

4. k-member

k-member

I think the crack is getting bigger with the weight of the trans on it and sitting in the hot sun today. I am thinking of drilling two small holes in the bell where the crack starts and ends. Will that stop the crack from getting any bigger? If it does help stop it I may try and weld it. O well , WANTED: Y-block bellhousing haha. Here's a pic after I cleaned the LiL 292 up today.

Attached Files:

• 1Y.JPG
      1Y.JPG
      File size:
      54.1 KB
      Views:
    • YnR.JPG
      YnR.JPG
      File size:
      63 KB
      Views:

5. !! was that my motor and tranny I saw?.....damn I need to get up there with the front end kit for the T....I have been slacking and hanging out with them women folk again...they are always bad for a projects time line!

6. k-member

k-member

You wish slacker boy!

7. k-member

k-member

BigChief, how did the weekend go? Anymore info?

8. redbeard

redbeard

Me and my lady just did this same set up.

One thing I would add to what big cheif said is

You can use the big truck bearing retainer as the spacer for the t-10
    retainer. The id of the truck retainer is the od of the t-10 retainer.

and as he mentioned you need to turn a new pilot bushing that is longer
    than original. It will stick out from the back of the flywheel, so that area
    needs to fit inside the id of the splines on the clutch disc, as the disc will rest against the flywheel as usuall.

As far as part #'s you will need to know what size pressure plate your
    flywheel is drilled for (or what was the original) then you just need to go to
    a good parts store that will let you look in the book, match the clutch disc to the pressure plate dia and match the splines on the disc to the t-10 input.

If you are going to toss out the old clutch disc from the big tranny I would be interested.

good luck and pm if you have more ?

9. k-member

k-member

Thanks redbeard, the old disk is worn and oily, but I will see whats left over here in the future, it may take a bit of time. Thanks again.

10. BigChief

BigChief

I'm swamped!!!! I'll try to get that clutch P/N and pics of the adapters.....we have to modify the pilot more :( it hits the clutch spines (as Red Beard noted) so it'll take a little bit more time to get you your information.

-Bigchief.